The Cretan Dialect

Courses, resources and discussion on Greek language.
If you know of a good link or course please post it.
Tim

The Cretan Dialect

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:46 am

Anybody who's into learning the language might be interested in this short YouTube video. A young Cretan lady gives tips and examples of some of the alternative words used in the Cretan dialect. I'm looking forward to trying a few of them out and seeing what the reaction is. Probably the mainly blank stares I get when I use mainstream Greek!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkMyZeyE7v8

Tim

bobscott

Re: The Cretan Dialect

Postby bobscott » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:38 pm

Don't let it worry you Tim. Just have another Tsikoudhia !! (or two). Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:48 pm

Having lived in northern Greece for several years, when people on Crete don't understand my Greek I just assume it is my Pontiak accent/dialect. If you can't understand someone try asking them "Είσαι Πόντιος;"

Warwick

PS If it's a large bloke who you don't know and who has had a few in a bar it might be best not to?

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:11 pm

Kilkis wrote:Having lived in northern Greece for several years, when people on Crete don't understand my Greek I just assume it is my Pontiak accent/dialect. If you can't understand someone try asking them "Είσαι Πόντιος;"

Warwick

PS If it's a large bloke who you don't know and who has had a few in a bar it might be best not to?

Not knowing as much as I should about other areas, is that the equivalent to asking the insulting question are you deaf or stupid? Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:21 pm

Exactly, Bob. Greeks tell jokes about Pontiaks like the English tell jokes about the Irish. In northern Greece, where almost everybody is of Pontiak origin, they turn it round and use it themselves. "Είσαι Πόντιος;" translates literally as "Are you a Pontiak?" but meaningfully as "Are you thick?"

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:10 pm

In the early 1990’s a young Athenian couple came to eat at a friend’s taverna. The woman spoke to me in perfect English and said she and her husband were both physicists and it was their first holiday to Crete. She went on to say they had arrived a few days previously but had been amazed at how different the ‘language’ was on the island. On a couple of occasions they had struggled to understand what locals were taking about. I have come across such comments a number of times.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:25 pm

Likewise. Having spent time studying the BBC Linguaphone course before coming to live here, I was baffled by the 'ch' (as in cheese) sound when clearly the word had a couple of K's in it (like Kokkino Horio which comes out as Kochino Horio in Cretan). Even more baffling was the place name Chefala which turned out to be Kefalas! I put it down to Venetian influence from a long time ago but people more erudite than I rejected that proposal. Not that they had anything to put in its place! Long live Cochineal! :D Bob

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:50 pm

bobscott wrote:Likewise. Having spent time studying the BBC Linguaphone course before coming to live here, I was baffled by the 'ch' (as in cheese) sound when clearly the word had a couple of K's in it (like Kokkino Horio which comes out as Kochino Horio in Cretan). Even more baffling was the place name Chefala which turned out to be Kefalas! I put it down to Venetian influence from a long time ago but people more erudite than I rejected that proposal. Not that they had anything to put in its place! Long live Cochineal! :D Bob

That's palatalization for you, bob! Still, that's easy for me to say .... :wink:

Tim

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:06 pm

All my village friends use "ch " to replace c or k ...so OK becomes O chay...or lyki ( market) becomes lychee ...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:16 am

bobscott wrote:...Long live Cochineal! :D Bob

I'd always assumed that the beetles used to make Cochineal were dead. Are you saying they are still alive? I feel quite queasy.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:08 pm

Tim wrote:
That's palatalization for you, bob! Still, that's easy for me to say .... :wink:

Tim

Well we could get into a discussion about whether to use the z or the s in that word. The z comes from Greek-rooted verbs but I don't know a Greek word for palatalisation. On the other hand, maybe just another tsikoudhia? Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:15 am

The last job I did in northern Greece was manufacturing chaff and flares for military aircraft. We used to palletize the boxes for delivery so it isn't just a Cretan thing?

Warwick

Return to “Learning Greek”