Hurry, hurry before it's gone

Courses, resources and discussion on Greek language.
If you know of a good link or course please post it.
George

Hurry, hurry before it's gone

Postby George » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:54 am

I have just had the most generous offer from LanguageCourse.net, offering me a 2 week course in Xania for between *1020 and 1390 Euros respectively. Sadly, I am still in full control of my faculties and shall ignore this offer, but if someone isn't quite "on the ball" today, they may well take them up on it.

*not including flights and transfers.

Kilkis

Re: Hurry, hurry before it's gone

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:37 pm

The course itself, without accommodation, is €570 for 20 lessons per week for 2 weeks. That works out at €14.25 per lesson, which is probably about the going rate for a registered language school operating fully legally.

Warwick

George

Postby George » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:44 am

That may seem about right for the course but the adverstised price is pretty steep. Then again maybe you get put up in five star luxury for the duration....
Compared to some Greek teachers here wanting £30 an hour to teach you via skype it doesn't fare too badly but the online resources available now must make them re appraise their costings? I'm using conversation exchange which is free, but totally unstructured - I'm helping Greek people with their English and they help me with my Greek. There's another online one where you can get a real teacher for $5 per hour, again using skype or viber. I think the way we can learn nowadays with institutions such as edx are fantastic and most definitely the way forward. Although this was using an online approach, it seems a little dated to me.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:34 pm

With the maximum total quoted (1390) and deducting the course cost accommodation would work out at approximately €50 per night for 14 nights. 3 star in Xania is likely to cost well above that, let alone 5 star especially between say, May & September. I doubt the language school is making a profit on accommodation unless they own that, too. More likely they've done a deal with a hotel to keep costs down. "We can guarantee xx rooms so what discount will you give."
Five years ago I was involved with apartment rentals in a resort (not Xania town) and we were charging €60/night, room only in late July & August. If asked for, discounts were 2.5% and 5% for 7 & 14 nights respectively.

Current (typical) examples for 7 Nights
****Doma Hotel €2,436 B'fast incl.
Nikolas Rooms Single €837 Twin €1,115 no stars but well rated
***Villa Andromeda Halepa district €1,680 B'fast incl
1 & 2 are central; 3 is about 20mins walk from centre

George

Postby George » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:51 am

When we were holidaying on Symi my sister who lived in Rhodes came over to visit us. I tried booking online but they were averaging about 80 euros per night which we all thought was excessive. In the end my sister came over with nothing booked and got a room for 25 euros a night. Booking rooms online is a bit of a risky business. Every time we go to Crete (twice a year) we end up booking a package as we can fly cheaper but some of the prices for rooms are quite frankly laughable.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:03 am

I doubt that Symi is closely comparable with any large town/city in Crete.

I'd be somewhat surprised if you could find decent rooms at that price anywhere near the centre of Xania at that price. Of course, you can find basic rooms early or late in the season. Ours were €25 in March and October: the rest of the year we closed as, with luck, we might have got one booking a fortnight, on which we'd make a loss after overheads of keeping the place open.

I'll happily take a small basic room for a night or two but if staying for a week or more I prefer something a bit better.

Return to “Learning Greek”