Certificate of Attainment in Greek (CAG)

Courses, resources and discussion on Greek language.
If you know of a good link or course please post it.
Carolina
Site Admin

Certificate of Attainment in Greek (CAG)

Postby Carolina » Wed May 09, 2007 2:44 pm

This posting is prompted by an email query I received this morning.

The Centre for the Greek Language, based in Thessaloniki, is appointed by the Greek government for the issuing of state certificates in the Greek language for foreigners. Certificates of Attainment in Greek (CAG) are available at 4 levels : see http://www.greeklanguage.gr/eng/exams.html

The language school in Vamos, Κέντρο Εκμάθησης Ελληνικής "Καινοτομία" is listed as one of the examination centres, and their contact email is kainotomia@cha.forthnet.gr

So if you want to get all your hard work studying Greek recognised, you can go for one of the exams.

margarita

Postby margarita » Wed May 09, 2007 4:31 pm

It would be interesting to hear the experiences of anyone who has taken any of these exams.

I see from their site that the first requirement for the first level is

'Successful candidates should be in a position to understand broadly a conversation between two native speakers'

I hope they choose the native speakers carefully, as many of the locals here speak like machine guns. If I listen to a conversation I catch about one word in fifty and if I am very lucky I know what it means. By the time I have sorted out the Cretan accent and realised what the word is, the conversation has moved on considerably.

margarita

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed May 09, 2007 4:45 pm

margarita wrote:If I listen to a conversation I catch about one word in fifty and if I am very lucky I know what it means. ... ...

Margarita tells "porkies"; she's better than that.

filippos.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed May 09, 2007 9:18 pm

I have a friend who took the Grade C (Γ) exam. She has been here 20+ years, speaks fluently, practised her reading and writing a bit for the exam, and said it was OK but not a piece of cake. This level is supposedly about equivalent to the 'lower' in English as a foreign language, which most of the Greek kids pass at age 13 to 15, also said to be similar in standard to a GCSE O level (or whatever they are called these days :wink: ).

She's going to try for the Grade D next, which is more of the 'proficiency' level. She's a TEFL teacher herself and I think she's more sympathetic to her Greek students now as she realises how hard they work!

I don't know anyone else who has taken the exams, so can't comment on the first two levels. How about trying it Margarita??

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Wed May 09, 2007 11:36 pm

I'm waiting to get some more information on this (I could do the exam in London). I don't think I'm quite up to the Grade A standard but I'm sure I'll get there (in a few years...)

:wink: :wink:
Living in Crete!!

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed May 09, 2007 11:58 pm

And after you've learned Greek ...

You have to learn Cretan.

When we first lived here I was told by a neighbour, "Don't go to a language school, they will teach you the Greek they speak in Athens. You should learn in the kafeneio."

And I'm still pretty useless having lessons AND going to the kafeneio.

filippos.
Last edited by filippos on Sat May 29, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Thu May 10, 2007 12:06 am

At least I'll eventually be multi-lingual. :wink:

I'm hoping I'll have covered the basics (grammar etc) before I get over to Crete so that I can learn some Cretan!!! :wink:
Living in Crete!!

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu May 10, 2007 12:36 am

Who cares about exams, anyway. The important thing is being able to communicate. I've always found the local people here very patient, helpful and appreciative of the effort however badly I mangle their language. One phrase I've learned parrot fashion, which usually gets a laugh, is.

"Είμαι γέρος. Δεν θυμάμαι τις λέξεις."

According to my wife I only say it because, almost invariably, after an initial chuckle, the response is, "Δεν είσαι γέρος".

I have one or two others, too. E.g. Speak to me like you speak to a baby and I will understand, (pause) maybe.

Slowly, slowly, my ears are not fast enough.

The only trouble with any of that is that it's then assumed that your Greek is fluent and they speak faster than ever.

Σιγά, σιγά.

Φίλιππος.

Mary

Postby Mary » Thu May 10, 2007 3:41 pm

When I first met my husband 28 years ago he would laugh when I spoke Greek because I had a 'Cretan' style even some words were a little different, I guess you can say he spoke 'Athenian'. So all these years in the States someone would speak to me in Greek, and I'd just reply back in English. Now when I try to speak in Greek it doesn't come out right at all!

Mary

raph

Greek certificate of attainment

Postby raph » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:18 pm

I took leval 2 in 2004 and found it fine.
Out of curioisity, I sat Level 3 the next day. I pased the oral part but failed the written. I found my vocabulary was not really up to par. It was an interesting exercise.

Courses are available in various venues whch are tailor-rmade to prepare one for this particular exam which would probably be beneficial. The Hellenic American Union in Athens offers them. Not sure if/where on Crete though.

AliceWood

Learning Greek

Postby AliceWood » Sat May 29, 2010 3:16 pm

I went to night school for one year to learn Greek in the UK and even passed an elementary exam but having no-one to keep up the conversation with made retaining even what I had learned difficult.
I have lived in Greece for 18 months now and although my Greek has improved I can't imagine I would pass any 'Government' tests. Much like other 'new Greek speakers'. I find the speed of the locals very hard to follow. I am pretty good at asking for what I want given a few seconds to think but when you do show any kind of proficiency (as with the experience above) most Greeks then start talking at full speed with the assumption you understand everything. That being said I have founds many, many locals who are very happy to help me improve my language skills.

Return to “Learning Greek”