Michel Thomas Method for learning Greek

Courses, resources and discussion on Greek language.
If you know of a good link or course please post it.
paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:52 am

anyone any experience or comments regarding using this?

It seems to be good but that is from marketing speak and I would prefer to hear practical experience

margarita

Postby margarita » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:32 pm

There's a discussion on another Forum about it.

http://tinyurl.com/yfpe3mq

I seem to remember downloading the sample, but it only contained information about the course. I don't remember finding any lesson on it.

Regards,

maggie

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Have listened to the demo and thought the speech rather stilted.

An alternative that I quite like is the earworms series of courses. The link takes you to part of my site that has a demo of the 'starter' course directly on the site [I only included that as my site is directed more to tourists]. There's also a link to the earworms site where there's info & a demo of volume 2.

Depends on how advanced you are already - until Vol 3 is produced it could be too easy for you.

Declaration of interest: if you go to earworms site from mine and buy a course I make about 45 cents commission.

Hooly

Re: Michel Thomas Method for learning Greek

Postby Hooly » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:10 pm

paulh wrote:Michel Thomas Method for learning Greek

anyone any experience or comments regarding using this?

Hi Paul. I've used the French ones before up to the advanced levels, not that I'm that good!, & heard a little of the German foundation which I thought very useful for car & train listening as there's supposed to be no written work. These were both recorded by Michel himself & I found his style suited me, whereas the recently released Greek version is the "Method" series which is presumably done under license.

Strangely the Michel Thomas website refers to him in the present tense & on the contacts page he's apparently available for tuition in London. Why strange? Well he died in January 2005!

Anyway the point of this rambling (sorry for that!) is that, as I've not got a Greek class in the UK this year, my beloved has bought me the foundation course for Xmas. I've just downloaded it to my iPod & will commence listening on the train on Monday. As soon as I get a feel for it I'll let you know. I'm sort of intermediate level I suppose as I've done 2 1/2 years at evening class & have pretty well every other learning source available & the foundation will probably be revision (I hope).

Pete

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue May 04, 2010 1:31 pm

I've listened to the first CD. It sounds like the recording of a woman teaching four (?) students, some of whom ask inane questions.

I think it would be good for insomniacs. It certainly made me yearn for a siesta. YMMV.

There's one common problem with all such language courses: they teach the Greek spoken in Athens. That's not too much of a problem if you are simply speaking Greek. But, if you want to understand the locals here, you need to learn the local words as well.

Return to “Learning Greek”