LEARN GREEK with a qualified teacher

Courses, resources and discussion on Greek language.
If you know of a good link or course please post it.
PLUTO

LEARN GREEK with a qualified teacher

Postby PLUTO » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Although I'm a foreigner, I have a University degree in modern Greek and teach modern Greek to foreigners since 9 years. I only accept one person or a couple at a time, since this is the more tense and effective method, but selected groups of friends are possible upon request.
I do not teach chit-chat, neither the so-called “global method”, pretending to teach students current expressions and sentences useful in daily life. This method does not give a student the possibility to progress on his own, since he/she does not have the necessary basic knowledge to do so. Learning a language, any language, is based on three pillars: to read and to write correctly by learning the alphabet; learning gradually its grammar; last but not least: studying at home regularly and seriously. This allows the student to progress step by step and to understand the basics of the language, which in turn allows the student to expand his knowledge by self-study, in parallel with the weekly sessions.
A teacher is a guide who helps the student through these steps, explaining the particularities of the Greek language progressively. It is up to the student to learn the vocabulary and to study. Without studying nothing goes.
My method has proven its value and effectiveness and you can read some comments of satisfied students on the website I recently created:
http://learn-greek-kissamos.blogspot.com.
If you have any doubt, I am the first and only foreigner ever appointed by the Greek Ministry of Continuous Education to teach Greek to adults during organized sessions in order to obtain a Certificate of Attainment (levels Α1, Α2, Β1, Β2, Γ1, Γ2)!

Call me for any further information from 9AM to 1PM at 2822024624 or in the afternoons at 2822300414 or on my cell phone 694 65 60 918.

I speak fluent English. Je suis francophone. Ik spreek vloeiend Nederlands. Ich spreche fliessend Deutsch.
Last edited by PLUTO on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

kitty

Re: LEARN GREEK with a qualified teacher

Postby kitty » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Hello Guy, the information about your Greek course sounds excellent, Do you only work in Kissamos? I live in Apokaronou and looking for a very patient teacher.
kitty

PLUTO

Good morning Kitty!

Postby PLUTO » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:14 am

Thanks a lot for your friendly comment. Unfortunately, I only work in Kastelli and that's a long way from Apokoronou. Sorry to disappoint you! Hopefuly you'll find somebody near you to enjoy learning Greek, which is, whatever you hear, a beautiful and easy language, with a well structured and tight grammar. Only the vocabulary could be a little bit difficult to swallow, depending on you age and knowledge of other languages. Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like! Good luck!

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:57 am

Well Guy, your qualifications sound very impressive but to make this claim: "I speak fluently English." , is an own goal.

kitty

Re: Good morning Kitty!

Postby kitty » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:41 am

That is a shame, but Thank you anyway,Guy.
kitty

PLUTO

Good morning Phaedra!

Postby PLUTO » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:34 am

Are there any monstrous errors in my texts that made you react that way? Or is it the syntax that you don’t like? I would greatly appreciate if you could be more specific. I’m always eager to learn and to improve my shortcomings. As Charles Baudelaire said: “Every man that acts, exposes himself to be criticized.” and Jean-Jacques Rousseau rightly pointed out: “Criticizing is very easy: one attacks with one word and it takes pages to defend oneself.”

kitty

Re: Good morning Kitty!

Postby kitty » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:45 am

I wonder if the attacker is as fluent as you! In English, and your many other languages.
kitty

Kilkis

Re: Good morning Phaedra!

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:18 pm

GUY wrote:...I would greatly appreciate if you could be more specific. ...

A natural English speaker would have said "I speak English fluently" not "I speak fluently English". Hence the "Own Goal" comment.

I think most people would ignore minor errors in a general statement made in a non-native language but there is something about the fact that the error is in a statement saying that you are good at that language that tends to provoke reaction. Knowing Phaedra I am certain that it was a tongue in cheek comment not a serious criticism.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Guy,

I suspect, also, that you've learned, or been influenced by, American English. In British English words like the US "criticize" use an "s" rather than a "z". Neither is wrong, per se, just different.

PLUTO

Final comment and back to Greek.

Postby PLUTO » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:10 am

Thanks to both of you for your positive comments and remarks, to which I will answer shortly, because I think the subject of this forum discussion is the Greek language, not the English one.
“Nihil perfectum est”, nothing is perfect. I constantly consult my dictionaries to check a word in my mother tongue; imagine how frequently I do this for the foreign languages I speak. I do make errors in all of them. Besides this, people often tell me my syntax is unusual. Syntax has rules, but they are not rigid as grammatical rules are, since the way somebody turns his sentence reflects his thoughts, emphasizing or not the message he wants to convey. Hence as an example the “fluently English” and not “English fluently”. English people would say the one; Americans would say the other.
I don’t agree with the remark, I quote: “… the error is in a statement saying that you are good at (at or in ?) that language …”. I am good in English, very good, comparing to many, even to native English speakers, but I do not pretend being as good as an English philologist. What is “good”? Speaking fluently with the appropriate vocabulary and a correct syntax. The word “fluently” does not imply, neither is synonym of “perfectly”. Who dares to pretend he knows his language perfectly?
I’m afraid I’ll hurt somebody’s feelings adding that the majority of the English speaking population doesn’t speak a second language. Aren’t they pleased and proud foreigners speak theirs, are able to communicate with them? What about the other way around?
Although I spend quite some time in England, although 90% of my professional library is in English, I also spent quite some time in the States and I use the American English in my Word documents, which one of you has remarked with pinpoint subtlety.
Philology is a hobby of mine and I like to talk about the subject. I’m not a professional though and I’m not perfect, but I am pleased to be able to communicate with people in their own language. Isn’t that the final goal?
To end this subject, I once wrote an article concerning “The origin of the Indo-European languages” in which there is a large description concerning the English and the Greek language. It’s available upon simple request, through my e-mail address.
Let us end with this now and focus on the Greek language.

Return to “Learning Greek”