Communicate in Greek 1

Courses, resources and discussion on Greek language.
If you know of a good link or course please post it.
lshall05

Communicate in Greek 1

Postby lshall05 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:23 pm

My greek language class will be using Communicate in Greek book 1 next year, does anyone know what greek school level you would be at if you finished the book?

My greek teacher says that the 4th book in the series is supposed to be up to the equivalent of A level over here.

Having bought the book today, it's going to take a while to understand most of it because it's all in Greek!! I'm hoping the teacher will explain the introduction etc or I'll be using the dictionary for almost every word!!
Living in Crete!!

Nita

Postby Nita » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:00 pm

That's the same book I'm 'supposed' to be learning from. The first half, for me, was fairly easy possibly because I'm living here and had already learnt basics from friends etc. However, the second half is proving very difficult and personally I can't see myeslf ever moving on to Book 2 let alone 4! If my memory serves me right I'm sure my teacher said if and when I complete Book 4 it would be equivalent to an A level.

In the meantime, for a number of reasons, I'm not having anymore lessons until the winter months, which may mean having to start again from near the beginning. I think my biggest problem is age related, the old grey matter doesn't function like it used to, but I'm sure I read in one of your postings that your early thirty-something so you stand a better chance of getting to grips with it.

Don't let me put you off though, I think I'm still depressed after yet another birthday on Saturday!

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:02 pm

thanks Nita and happy belated birthday!!
Living in Crete!!

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:59 pm

We've worked through Book 1 twice and it's not too bad if one puts in a bit of effort. As a result my wife's Greek is better than mine as she put in at least double my effort.

We finished this book for the second time and, in anticipation of progressing, my wife bought Book 2. At our next lesson we proudly announced our purchase and were ready to proceed. Our Greek teacher's response was along the lines that Book 2 was very boring, not very good, not worth the effort and that we would be better spending our lessons talking with him explaining stuff where necessary as we went along.

That was about a year ago and, while 'Er Indoors has occasionally delved into Book 2, neither the teacher nor I have even opened it. Most of each lesson is spent talking with interludes when the teacher makes notes for us to refer to as he explains tricky bits in detail. I don't think he owns Books 3 & 4.

Filippos.

margarita

Postby margarita » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:22 pm

I am the 'Er indoors' referred to by filippos.

We first started learning Greek on intensive course at a Greek school in Hania - not to be recommended for anyone who left school more than 5 years ago!! We went through the first part of Communicate in Greek at breakneck speed and we were left well behind the rest of the class. The problem was that the teacher had to cover a set syllabus in the time and couldn't slow down for us 'dimbos'

About a year later we started the book again, this time with a private teacher and we were able to go at our own pace - SLOW.

There is a 'homework' book which goes with the main textbook. I found it useful to do the exercises in this as a check on what I had (or hadn't) learned.

I know a lot of people don't like the idea of learning written Greek but I really thing it helps to get the words into the brain.

Good Luck

maragrita
Last edited by margarita on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nita

Postby Nita » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:28 pm

Filippos said: We've worked through Book 1 twice...

Thank you Filippos, there is hope for me after all !

All said and done I do manage somehow - not entirely sure how sometimes - to communicate with people who have absolutely no English, although this has on occassion involved charades and has included some pretty wierd drawings.

Lynn the only thing your teacher won't be able to help you with, unless they are from Crete, is the Cretan dialect and local variants which have thrown me more than once.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:20 am

Thanks guys!

At least I'll have a teacher for the first book and possibly part of the second book, depending how quickly we get through book 1 (there are a couple of people in the class who have done Greek before and moaned at the speed we went at while doing the BBC Talk Greek book)!

I got the workbooks and CD that go with the book so hopefully I'll be able to have a go at it before the classes start in September (given that I'll probably miss the first 2 classes because I'm in Crete it might be worthwhile being a bit ahead of the class for once!!).

Our teacher is from the 2nd biggest island in Greece. Can't remember the name of it but she says no one ever knows it unless they know someone that lives/lived there...
Living in Crete!!

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:58 pm

Evia?

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:02 pm

Think that's the name of it, it's to the right of the mainland and connected by a bridge??
Living in Crete!!

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:57 pm

Sound like thats it. North of Athens and runs along the North east coast line of the mainland. The bridge is connected to Halkis. Heres a picture if you are interested Image

It takes about 1 hour to get to the bridge from Athens airport or you can take a ferry across from Rafina to the southern part. The bridge being roughly centre of the island. Halkis is the major city and where all the nightlife is. Beyond that are small villages. There are no package tours that go there that I am aware of, so its still unspoilt ;)

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:19 pm

Sounds nice! Maybe one day we'll go and visit it!
Living in Crete!!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:42 pm

Assimilate wrote: There are no package tours that go there that I am aware of, so its still unspoilt ;)

No package tours, but half the population of Athens! It may be pretty much unheard of in the UK but it's very popular among the Athenians. A friend of mine raves about Halkis, or Halkida as it's also known.
On a map of Greece it looks as though Evia is connected to the mainland, but it's actually connected only by that impressive looking bridge. Thanks for the pic Assim.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:08 pm

As far as I can see from the Communicate in Greek web site, http://www.communicateingreek.com there are only three books in the series so I am not sure how Book 4 can be equivalent to A Level? According to the site the full course, i.e. the three books plus associated workbooks and audio material, should take the student to “post intermediate level”.

It is worth noting that the books are completely in Greek. There is not a single word in English anywhere in them. In my opinion, therefore, they are only suitable to be used as part of a taught course with a Greek-speaking teacher to guide you through them. Having said that Jean thinks that they are the best Greek teaching books available. Having had some lessons she can now make use of them herself.

The whole course bought direct from Communicate in Greek would cost about €230 but you can buy it in sections for about €80 each for sections 1 and 2 and about €70 for section 3. I believe these prices include postage. Alternatively you can buy it piece by piece from Hellenic Bookservice, https://www.hellenic-books.com Stelios writes the “E4 and other mythical trails” on Interkriti and is a true Cretophile; why not support him. Adding up the components gives about £47 for sections 1 and 2 and £40 for section 3 but there would be postage cost on top of this. You can also buy piece by piece from Amazon but the prices seem higher than from Stelios. I cannot guarantee that the editions are exactly the same.

Warwick

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:36 pm

I paid £47 for book 1, the 2 work books and the CD from the hellenic book service in London (not sure if it's the same one you're talking about - they are based in Tufnell Park).

My Greek teacher is going to do a glossary for us so that we can at least understand the instructions for the exercises!

Didn't realise there was a website but I'll have a look at it now!
Living in Crete!!

Polyanna

Communicate in Greek

Postby Polyanna » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:45 am

We started Communicate in Greek Book 1 about eighteen months ago, with a Greek tutor here in Crete. We worked through it twice, and by the end of the second time I really thought I was making some progress :roll:
However, now three lessons into Book 2 and the waters are beginning to close over my head! Fortunately there is an elderly lady in our (only Greek-speaking) village who is pleased to see me every day for a chat, so I think I am now learning as much from her as I do from the book.
Definitely right about the grey matter being thicker as you get older!

Return to “Learning Greek”