is my sat nav Greek?

Courses, resources and discussion on Greek language.
If you know of a good link or course please post it.
George

is my sat nav Greek?

Postby George » Fri May 31, 2013 10:12 pm

In what can only be described as a stunning attempt to enhance my floundering Greek language skills I switched my sat nav to Greek directions, hoping to hone my skills but ending up somewhat confused. I was made to believe (via Pimsleurs/Michel Thomas/PDQ) that straight ahead was ολα ευθεια. Μy co driver seems to say something along the lines of oh ve yeasty. I also have no idea what στριψτε λαφρα means. I understand the turn part but can't find anything about lafra. Any help greatly appreciated.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:46 am

Possibly "στρίψτε ελαφρά" as "turn slightly". Perhaps referring to a bend? I saw a review on a TomTom Sat Nav the other day where the reviewer was complaining bitterly that it kept giving him turn directions for bends. As he said, it is OK in the country where there is no obvious turn but in town, where there is always a nearby corner, it is very confusing.

Sorry I can't think of anything that fits the other one.

Warwick

mrs.j

Postby mrs.j » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:55 am

You see this is why one needs an actual, physical hand to drive, when giving directions! A straight open, up and down hand, shaking and pointing means straight on. When looking at land to buy many years ago our landlord set out with us to show us some plots and this was the method of 'sat-nav' we used - worked for us!

Although I do remember being in a taxi and saying 'straight on' in Greek, as you did and the driver kept saying 'ισια' which another word for straight on and I kept repeating my word... I soon came to understand that there is more than one word for straight on...

Anyway, an admirable choice and surely it must be a lot of fun to travel and explore with your Greek sat nav.

mrs.j

Postby mrs.j » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:40 am

George,I've just noticed your location - Scotland; even more fun I should imagine trying it in Greek there.

Reminds me of when in Embra visiting my folks and my dad and I trying to get to my cousin's house, way the other side of town. Unbeknown to us temporary road sign signs had been erected the night before with diversions... eek. Nae bother, my dad stopped to ask someone and could not understand them, despite being Scots himself!... we stopped a bit further along and lo, found a Greek Uni student who gave very eloquent directions in Greek (he was from Hania) and then in English. Too funny, I never let my dad live it down.

George

Postby George » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:39 pm

Turning slightly would make sense as this tends to happen when approaching a junction when the road ahead runs at an angle. I was wondering if the other term was a case of when words can change, for example after θα να etc.
It also seems to precede the word κατο which I thought meant under, but never occurs when approaching a bridge. I'll pay more attention in the coming week and see if I can be more clear as it occurs to me that I could be the one at fault.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:34 pm

I think a lot might relate to context. Ευθεία is a noun. Ισια and κατ' ευθείαν are adverbs. If the context was to modify a verb, either actual or implied, then it would be grammatically more correct to use the adverb form.

Warwick

George

Postby George » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:28 pm

I have managed to record the sat nav with some dubious expressions, but now I have to convert the files and then find out if it is possible to post them here?........

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:04 pm

You can certainly upload them somewhere and paste a link to them, here. Maybe use YouTube?

Return to “Learning Greek”