Eagles in Crete

Courses, resources and discussion on Greek language.
If you know of a good link or course please post it.
George

Eagles in Crete

Postby George » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:14 pm

I recently ate at a taverna called Σηφης. When I asked what the name meant he pointed to a large wooden sculpture of an eagle catching a snake. I thought the Greek for eagle was aertos, and when I checked Σηφης with google it didn't have any meaning. Anybody know what it means?

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Αετός is certainly eagle and snake is φίδι: Σήφης (if my spelling is right - not sure it shouldn't be Σίφης) is Sifis = Joseph which doesn't make much sense in relation to your post. Ι suppose Σήφης could be the taverna owner's name but how that ties in with eagles and snakes ............

George

Postby George » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:41 pm

Yes I couldn't figure it out myself. Perhaps it is the owners name, but why the waiter pointed to the sculpture I have no idea. Thanks anyway.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:15 pm

I suspect you are falling into a common trap, George. You expect everything to make some sort of sense. Normally it doesn't. Welcome to Crete.

Warwick

PS I suppose it might in some way be related to legend, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_the_Eagle but I can't see how exactly. Perhaps the owner is Albanian but ethnically Greek?

Return to “Learning Greek”