swimming

Courses, resources and discussion on Greek language.
If you know of a good link or course please post it.
George

swimming

Postby George » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:46 pm

I thought that swimming in Greek was κολύμπι, but a story I am reading as homework is telling me the good people of Athens are at the seaside to partake in μπάνιο, which I thought was bathroom. Does it literally mean to bathe in the waters?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:19 pm

Yes μπάνιο is frequently used for swimming e.g. πάμε για μπάνιo - let's go for a swim. It still literally means 'bath', maybe bathe, but is a colloquial expression I guess.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:38 pm

No wonder we find Greek problematic. Round our way "Πάω/πάμε για μπάνιο" ή "Πάω/πάμε κολύμπι" seems to mean, roughly, "I'm going/let's go for a dip" which generally turns out to be, swim a few strokes, meet ½dozen friends, form a 5m circle in chest deep water and chat while occasionally dipping down to shoulder depth. Occasionally swim a few more strokes. Repeat until hungry/thirsty.

A Greek friend's son, on the other hand, is a serious swimmer. He goes to coaching sessions at a pool. Κολυμπάει

nuska

Re: swimming

Postby nuska » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:36 pm

I was told that Κολυμπάει is the posh version of μπάνιo, filippos has covered what most women do here (the latter), on the other hand I actually swim for exercise

Plodder

Postby Plodder » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:24 pm

Not really that confusing.
In England, we have always had "bathing huts" at the seaside, so people can get changed before they bathe.
So in England the action of swimming in the sea, is also referred to as swimming or bathing.

Chris

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:43 pm

Greek, just like English, is full of apparently meaningless colloquial phrases. It's best to learn these, rather than try to do a literal translation. For example, English has some fairly stupid phrases and the Greek equivalents don't make obvious sense if you translate literally.

"Can I give you a lift?" = "Na se pow?" (That you I go.)
"It looks like rain" = "Kanee na vreksee" (It makes that it rains.)
"Have a good time" = "kala na perasate" (Good that you pass.)

Return to “Learning Greek”