Verb conjugation

Courses, resources and discussion on Greek language.
If you know of a good link or course please post it.
SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:27 pm

Kilkis wrote:
George wrote:PS Satcure, my dictionaries gives "I sell" as "πωλώ" or "πουλώ" not πουλάω.

I try hard to listen to the local pronunciation. Everyone says "πουλάω". I believe this is even so on the mainland.

Similar problem with the dictionary word for "wasp". Dictionary gives "sfeeka". Locals say "sfeenga".

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:48 pm

filippos wrote:There's a new bookshop in Kalyves where 'Er Indoors thinks she's seen one of the books: we'll check later.
The shop had Book 1 of Επικοινωνήστε Ελληνικά and the owner reckons he can acquire the others in the series if required.

I've speculated and bought it for you, George: it's 2nd hand but in almost 'off the shelf' condition: none of the exercises it contains have been filled in so it's pristine.

You owe me big money - € 2.50 (the price new was (€ 20) and, if you want it mailed, the cost of postage. Alternatively, if you're coming anywhere close to Kalyves on your next trip you can collect and buy me a coffee.

I'll e-mail or send a PM with contact details.

P.S. If you don't want it I'm happy to keep the book for a bit of revision

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:47 pm

SatCure wrote:...I try hard to listen to the local pronunciation. Everyone says "πουλάω". I believe this is even so on the mainland...

Don't worry about it, Martin. I'm sure you are correct. I had a discussion about the άω and ώ endings when I did Greek classes but I had forgotten about it. The teacher was always using άω endings and a number of us were struggling to find them because the dictionaries only had ώ endings. I can't remember the details but I think they are virtually interchangeable.

Warwick

George

Postby George » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:21 am

filippos wrote:
filippos wrote:There's a new bookshop in Kalyves where 'Er Indoors thinks she's seen one of the books: we'll check later.
The shop had Book 1 of Επικοινωνήστε Ελληνικά and the owner reckons he can acquire the others in the series if required.

I've speculated and bought it for you, George: it's 2nd hand but in almost 'off the shelf' condition: none of the exercises it contains have been filled in so it's pristine.

You owe me big money - € 2.50 (the price new was (€ 20) and, if you want it mailed, the cost of postage. Alternatively, if you're coming anywhere close to Kalyves on your next trip you can collect and buy me a coffee.

I'll e-mail or send a PM with contact details.

P.S. If you don't want it I'm happy to keep the book for a bit of revision

Many, many thanks, I'll send a PM

Plodder

Postby Plodder » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:32 pm

I love to try my Greek, and accept that there are times when I will cause amusement to the locals, but I always find that this is quickly followed by praise for my attempt, and a correction, so I am better informed for the future.
And for any Greeks out there, who are worried about how good their English grammar might be... don't! My experience of listening to some youngsters in England communicating with one another, is that they have no idea either :roll:

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:03 pm

Plodder wrote:And for any Greeks out there, who are worried about how good their English grammar might be... don't! My experience of listening to some youngsters in England communicating with one another, is that they have no idea either
My wife, a former teacher (30+years experience) with a TEFL qualification taught English to a couple of Greek teenagers two years ago.

It seems their knowledge of English grammar, even rules of spelling, was extensive: far in excess of that of similarly aged native English speakers.

Their disadvantage was having been taught English in the Greek education system with huge emphasis on technicalities and written work but very little practice with spoken English. As a result these two very knowledgeable lads had difficulty in stringing a sentence together. With a bit of encouragement and practice they advanced pretty quickly.

Return to “Learning Greek”