"I can't remember any bloody Greek words"

Courses, resources and discussion on Greek language.
If you know of a good link or course please post it.
filippos
Posts: 5616
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

"I can't remember any bloody Greek words"

Postby filippos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:59 pm

Kilkis wrote:From time to time I guess we all storm up and down the garden muttering "That's it! I've had enough!! I'm going back to the UK"
Poor guess, Warwick; not all of us have.

You and Jean still well?

margarita
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:36 pm
Location: Kalyves area

Re: Research Information

Postby margarita » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:29 pm

filippos wrote:
Kilkis wrote:From time to time I guess we all storm up and down the garden muttering "That's it! I've had enough!! I'm going back to the UK"
Poor guess, Warwick; not all of us have.

You and Jean still well?


Perhaps you don't get out into the garden often enough, filppos!!

margarita

Kilkis
Posts: 9814
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:24 am

There are always contras in the world Filippos.

Both very well thank you. Because of the funeral last week our Greek class was postponed. That means we had three three hour classes this week, one of which was a test. I think my brain has turned to porridge.

Warwick

filippos
Posts: 5616
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:00 pm

Kilkis wrote:Because of the funeral last week our Greek class was postponed. That means we had three three hour classes this week, ....
Which implies a norm of 2 x 3 hours weekly. Next time we meet I expect you to be fluent in near perfect Greek.

I presented some written work to our teacher (at our 1 x 1 hr weekly lesson) last week. He commented, "This is excellent; perfect Greek; just like a Greek would write."







But he was commenting on about six words from two+ A4 pages.

Kilkis
Posts: 9814
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:39 pm

filippos wrote: Next time we meet I expect you to be fluent in near perfect Greek.


I can give you a very good description of the grammar. For example I have now cottoned on to the fact that the future punctual tense of a verb is formed from the aorist stem using the present endings and is preceded by θα while the future durative is formed directly from the present tense preceded by θα. I can also form other tenses using the aorist infinitive. Use of the genitive to denote an indirect object is now second nature. I am left with one small hurdle to overcome.












I can't remember any bloody Greek words.

Warwick

lshall05
Posts: 798
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:13 am
Location: Malia

Postby lshall05 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:45 pm

Kilkis wrote:
filippos wrote: Next time we meet I expect you to be fluent in near perfect Greek.


I can give you a very good description of the grammar. For example I have now cottoned on to the fact that the future punctual tense of a verb is formed from the aorist stem using the present endings and is preceded by θα while the future durative is formed directly from the present tense preceded by θα. I can also form other tenses using the aorist infinitive. Use of the genitive to denote an indirect object is now second nature. I am left with one small hurdle to overcome.












I can't remember any bloody Greek words.

Warwick


Can you explain that grammar in plain english please...
Living in Crete!!

Phaedra
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:33 pm

Postby Phaedra » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:55 pm

Just what I was thinking Lynn.

(Secretly, I think Warwick made it all up)

Kilkis
Posts: 9814
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:31 pm

Actually it's all true.

In the past and in the future tenses, Greek distinguishes between events that are one off, i.e. punctual, and events which are continuous over a period of time, i.e. durative. If I say "I will come to your party on Saturday", punctual, or "I will come to Crete to live", durative, the verb "I will come" is completely different.

Greek verbs are made up of a stem and an ending. The stem remains fixed and the ending changes depending on whether it is the first person, I/we, the second person, you, or third person, he/she/it/they, being referred to. There is not, however, a single stem. The present stem is used for past and future durative, while the aorist stem is used for the past and future punctual.

Easy really. Learn two stems, twelve endings, one infinitive and the present and past tense of the verb "have" and you can construct virtually every possible verb tense, at least for regular verbs. Actually there are a few other tricks, like adding "ε" to the aorist stem in the past tense if the word has less than three syllables but I wouldn't want to confuse you.


Still don't know any Greek words though.

Warwick

lshall05
Posts: 798
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:13 am
Location: Malia

Postby lshall05 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:42 pm

So a bit like our future/past perfect/continuous then...

I've sussed out the stem and ending (not that I remember them all) part until you lose me when you start talking about present and aorist stems!!!

I think I might learn Greek by the time I die...
Living in Crete!!

filippos
Posts: 5616
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:29 pm

Kilkis wrote:Actually there are a few other tricks, like adding "ε" to the aorist stem in the past tense if the word has less than three syllables but I wouldn't want to confuse you.
And then, of course, there are the exceptions ....

Phaedra
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:33 pm

Postby Phaedra » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:04 pm

Kilkis wrote: but I wouldn't want to confuse you.




Warwick


Too late! ;-)

altohb
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:51 pm
Location: Sitia

Greek tenses

Postby altohb » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:11 pm

....make tense Brits! I can follow most of this, but there are times when we want to scream at our teacher, when we get the "exceptions" which seem more numerous than the things which follow the rules.

Grammatical terminology makes me want to crawl into a dark place, too. I can readily understand the distinction between simple past & continuous past, and likewise for future tenses, but I wish there was a way of predicting the endings in each tense. We both have the kind of minds that want to know why things work the way they do, and find the kind of didactic approach our teacher is using infuriating at times, though at other times she's good. As these are private lessons (just the two of us) there is a bit of extra pressure too! I'm finding that there are times when I just go completely blank when asked to speak Greek - can't remember the words at all in conversation during the lesson.

Do any of the rest of you find that it is the speaking which is hardest - written stuff, both reading and writing, is much better.

H

latsida

Postby latsida » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:36 pm

future simple and past simple usually, all though not always, have the same stem, and then there is future continuous(I will be.......) and past continuous(I was......).Most of these stems have to be learnt there are no hard and fast rules.Your example ερχομαι is ηρθα in simple past, θα ερθω in simple future.The more you learn the more difficult it gets, wait till you get to passive verbs. :roll:

margarita
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:36 pm
Location: Kalyves area

Re: Greek tenses

Postby margarita » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:17 pm

altohb wrote:
Do any of the rest of you find that it is the speaking which is hardest - written stuff, both reading and writing, is much better.

H


Yes. I can work out in my head exactly what I want to say, and it sounds good to me.

Then........I open my mouth and I go into panic mode and it all turns to rubbish.

In the unlikely event that the Greek I am speaking to understands me and replies I get into an even worse pickle.

margarita

baccybabs
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Melissorgiou, Crete

Postby baccybabs » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:45 pm

Phaedra wrote:
Kilkis wrote: but I wouldn't want to confuse you.




Warwick


Too late! ;-)


Too late for me too ....Warwick, these greek lessons certainly seem to be paying off !!! :roll: :wink: :shock:


Return to “Learning Greek”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest