Outdoor furniture

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
Sinkingslowly

Outdoor furniture

Postby Sinkingslowly » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:17 pm

Does anyone know of places in the Sitia / Ierapetra area where I could get some outdoor stuff (table, chairs, umbrella, lounger etc) at sensible prices?
I sort of assumed that as half the year is spent outside and every taverna and beach is covered with them, that these things would be reasonable prices.
Guess I was wrong or I'm looking in wrong places.

Tim

Re: Outdoor furniture

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:59 pm

I gave up trying to find anything of decent quality/value in Sitia. You might need to bite the bullet and go to Praktiker in Heraklion. Superb selection and good prices.

Tim

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:09 pm

Yeah ..the only place I have found this end is the PROFIT shop it's on the coast road just before you get to Ierapetra from Makri gialos on the right hand side ...we got table ,chairs, and a sunshade from them a few years ago ...good quality and a good selection , they have/had loads of household stuff ,cutlery, tableware , glasses ,pots, pans , towels , plus bulk buy , tinned goods, wine , loo paper , kitchen roll...they are mainly aimed at the rooms for rent taverna owners , but we have never had any problems buying stuff from them ....

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:01 am

Jeffstclair wrote:Yeah ..the only place I have found this end is the PROFIT shop it's on the coast road just before you get to Ierapetra from Makri gialos on the right hand side ...we got table ,chairs, and a sunshade from them a few years ago ...good quality and a good selection , they have/had loads of household stuff ,cutlery, tableware , glasses ,pots, pans , towels , plus bulk buy , tinned goods, wine , loo paper , kitchen roll...they are mainly aimed at the rooms for rent taverna owners , but we have never had any problems buying stuff from them ....

I was there yesterday !
Excellent range of stuff and I'm definitely going back.
I think I might have to try the "mmm, that's more than I wanted to spend" or "how much if I buy one of those as well" :D

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:10 am

Oh good....

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:29 am

Jeffstclair wrote:Oh good....

Sorry, guess I should have mentioned in the original post that I knew about the Profit shop.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:22 pm

I don't know any shops in that area, but generally outdoor furniture is sold seasonally here in many shops, including at the large supermarket chains. From the end of March/April there is a much larger selection available.

shane

Postby shane » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:22 am

Profit in Ierapetra (although you have to oranges your own pick up/delivery) or the IKEA just up form the airport in Heraklion. You can arrange delivery.

shane

Postby shane » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:22 am

Profit in Ierapetra (although you have to arrange your own pick up/delivery) or the IKEA just up from the airport in Heraklion. You can arrange delivery.

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:59 pm

Hi Shane, as you have decided to revive this posting ( apparently whilst enjoying a delicious local orange ) and Sinking Slowly ( unless this very moment luxuriating on a sun lounger acquired at cut-down price from Profit and personally delivered to Makrigialos by the Manager himself ) seeming to be now sunken without trace, shall be more than happy to keep you company on this one.

Carolina is quite correct about the larger supermarkets stocking these items, and the one just at the start of town after you turn right past the Petra Mare Hotel is the best once Spring arrives. Another place that might be tried at any time of year, is a less known of supermarket found if one continues along the same road, straight across the big set of traffic lights and turning left at the small roundabout towards Mirtos, then look out for it about a hundred yards down on the right. The ground floor is well stocked with food stuffs etc., but unexpectedly and not much vaunted there are two additional floors, one below and one above.

The quite extensive lower floor holds many of the items of outdoor furniture sought, and household wares of all manner and function, some gathering dust and from a bygone age, talking of which the upstairs floor has, together with a large stock of rugs and carpets, a similar collection of inexpensive wooden furniture, most of it adorned with slightly bizarre ornaments also for retail. Access to both floors is by steep and very narrow stairs, or by a rather unpredictable lift of equally confined proportions, that might take two persons provided neither is the sort to frown on intimacy. Another customer has never been encountered on either of these floors, but the ground floor is usually quite busy, the fresh produce being of particular note with the infrequently seen Tertsa Bananas and some unusual "Special Onions" platted together like garlic available according to Season.

To a relative newcomer, it should be added that haggling on price anywhere in Crete is an endeavour unlikely to be met with success, but should afford a first hand opportunity to witness the classic raising of the eyebrows combined with a slight tilting back of the head, that the more recondite guide books advise of.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:34 pm

sandboy2 wrote:...To a relative newcomer, it should be added that haggling on price anywhere in Crete is an endeavour unlikely to be met with success, but should afford a first hand opportunity to witness the classic raising of the eyebrows combined with a slight tilting back of the head, that the more recondite guide books advise of.

It depends on who you are "haggling" with and about what. You'd be surprised what the magic phrase: "...and without a receipt?" can get you and from whom. Even those notable upholders of the law, lawyers and notaries, often respond positively to that question. Or since the result is a reduction should that be respond negatively? The amount saved can be staggering, not that I am suggesting anyone should do this.

Warwick

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”