Roofing tiles held in place by stones!

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
OliveTree

Roofing tiles held in place by stones!

Postby OliveTree » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:09 am

Hello there! I have just discovered your useful and very readable forum and after reading through many of the hundreds of posts feel much more enlightened about the island of Crete, so thank you all!
I've also been inevitably, browsing the internet of late, looking at properties in Crete, mostly small 'for restoration' type village houses with a view to a possible future move or early retirement. Some do not have water, sewerage or power connected and look to have been empty for an extended period, which I'm sure could be an issue though perhaps not entirely insurmountable, particularly if the purchase price is right. I have focused on stone-built properties with their roofs intact, rather than complete ruins!
One odd thing that I have noticed is that the terracotta roof tiles on some of them (including some properties that are clearly occupied) have large stones placed atop, I presume to hold them in place. Perhaps an expert on roofing or someone with experience of the task could advise on how the roof tiles should be secured, such as cement, nails etc, or is it common practice in Crete to simply lay them in place.

Thanks

Geoffrey

Dinksy

Re: Roofing tiles held in place by stones!

Postby Dinksy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:57 pm

I know that our roof tiles are held in place by zinc screws and cement where possible. We live high up in a windy place and anything not screwed down will be gone in an instant. The Greeks have plenty of stones, the island is all stones, and they are cheaper than zinc screws.
Never mind the quality, feel the width.

OliveTree

Postby OliveTree » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:09 pm

Thanks Dinksy, a couple of good points there. Yes, the properties I have seen - in the Eastern part of the Island - have been up a height, so I think the winds may well be a factor and perhaps also penny-pinching. I shall need to look further into how to secure the tiles properly and permanently!

Geoffrey

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:26 pm

OliveTree wrote:...Some do not have water, sewerage or power connected and look to have been empty for an extended period, which I'm sure could be an issue though perhaps not entirely insurmountable, particularly if the purchase price is right...

Firstly the majority of properties on Crete outside cities/towns/large villages are not connected to sewage. Most people, including me, use septic tanks and they work very well. Mains sewage is being extended but I think that sometimes you are better off without it. I know some people who have experienced pretty awful and persistent odours after connection. As a fairly minor point, since water is relatively cheap here, it increases your water bill by a factor between x2 and x3.

Regarding water, power and landline telephone your statement is true, i.e. they probably can be connected, but do careful checking beforehand. If the distance to the nearest connection point for any of these services is big the cost of connection could be very high and the timescale for connection could also be long in some cases. Don't assume it will all be OK and don't rely on what an agent tells you or assurances from your lawyer. Ask directly at the relevant services.

Warwick

OliveTree

Postby OliveTree » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:55 pm

Thanks Warwick. I can tell by reading your many informative posts on here that you are genuinely a font of knowledge on all things Crete. The village property I was browsing had electric (at least there were wires in and nearby the property) but no sign of water or sewerage - it is quite amazing how some people have managed to live in the recent past! I suspect connecting the latter could be an obstacle and shall tread carefully. Your words regarding agents and their assurances do ring true. Thanks again.

Geoffrey

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:09 pm

Yes there are many villages in Crete without a sewage system ...in the village I live in some houses share an outside loo over a septic tank....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:20 pm

Agricultural water is usually highly visible in rural areas. Big, normally red but sometimes blue, Christmas trees sprouting lots of large diameter pipes, valves and meters. Domestic water is far less visible so it may be there. Much smaller diameter pipes, usually buried and often with the meter hidden away. Mine is in a neighbours garden hidden in a mass of foliage.

It is quite likely that the property already has a septic tank to deal with sewage and that would be buried in the garden so not necessarily visible at all. If it hasn't, then installing a septic tank should not be expensive provided there is a suitable area of land as part of the property. In remote rural areas connection to mains sewage is likely to be totally impossible as it just doesn't exist. I am in a large village only about 15 km from the centre of Chania and they are only starting to install main sewage now. It is about 50 m from me at the moment but I have no idea if I will be one of the houses connected.

If you want landline based broadband then check really carefully. In some areas connection can take years and in others, where there are landlines, they are unusable for broadband. Mobile and satellite based broadband are options, if a landline version is not available, but downloads are invariably capped and, if you use large volumes, can be expensive. Also, in some remote areas mobile signals are very poor so then satellite is the only option.

Warwick

OliveTree

Postby OliveTree » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:34 pm

Thanks again everyone - it's these essential points that are really difficult to find - great that the internet is - without actually living there or going through the experience. Again, extremely informative both to me and anyone else considering a potential property purchase.

Geoffrey

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:39 pm

Kilkis wrote:...I am in a large village only about 15 km from the centre of Chania and they are only starting to install main sewage now. It is about 50 m from me at the moment but I have no idea if I will be one of the houses connected...

Down the local café tonight I learned that the very large pipes they are installing are not for mains sewage but for run-off drainage. I appreciate the need, since the rain falling on half the village seems to empty into my 50m long lane completely flooding it, but I am not sure exactly how they will work since there doesn't seem to be any surface drains connecting to the pipework?

Warwick

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:03 am

Kali mera Geoffrey

I have just sent you a PM.

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”