public transport and taxis

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
chrissyg

public transport and taxis

Postby chrissyg » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Public transport looks cheap but a bit tricky living out in the middle of nowhere. Are taxis good value and are there any reputable companies I could use?

Kilkis

Re: public transport and taxis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:27 pm

I live 13 km from 1866 square and a taxi from there to my house costs between €15 and €20. Not sure what you regard as good value? I've only ever used them from town back to home so I just pick one up wherever I find one. There are radio taxi companies listed in yellow pages.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Thats 8 miles for about £13 in old money, that sounds quite good compared with uk actually. Buses sound very cheap but having researched a little i still cant find a definitive route map for crete to see if i can get around.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Caling a taxi to pick up in an out- of- the-way village will generally cost quite a lot more more than getting one back from a town as the meter goes on for the outward journey too (call out charge).

KTEl buses cover most villages, but some villages may only have one bus a day, and in the most remote places one a week.

Check out the KTEL website for the area you want and look for the village name by checking the route to the next main village or town nearby.
KTEL Chania, Rethymnon, Heraklion etc each have their own websites.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Yeah busses are cheap and clean and air conditioned .... and great fun I always end up talking to someone who knows my neighbours and seems to know more about me than I know about me ....jeff

matore

Postby matore » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:36 am

I would suggest https://www.transferscrete.com/. Totally reliable, very competitive. My family used this service when they visited and were very impressed.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:06 pm

From the tone of chrissyg's post I suspect she wants rather more than an an airport to final destination transfer.
These pages might be useful
http://www.e-ktel.com/en/
https://rethymnon.com/TheBus-Bus-Servic ... e.php?lg=2

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Yes, thx fillippos, i just wish you could see the actual routes along with the times. It looks like nothing goes along past Xirosterni which is on the Vamos to Almyrida road which surprises me. Thx anyway.

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:32 am

There used to be a bus that went through Vamos and up to Kefalas, almost certainly went past Xirosterni. Buses to Almyrida terminate there then return, as far as I am aware.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:27 am

chrissyg wrote:...It looks like nothing goes along past Xirosterni which is on the Vamos to Almyrida road which surprises me. Thx anyway.

Couldn't someone who lives in the village tell you if there is a bus service and, if there is, what times it runs?

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:07 am

Yes always the best bet ,ask a local .....

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks, but dont know anyone yet and wont be living there for a while. Was hoping to be able to tell my holiday guests that there were buses to Almyrida or wherever nearby, and obviously i can't. They dont do timetable leaflets like in uk that i could have included in the brochutes and stuff.
No worries, i will research when im over next.

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”