Decent Garage or mechanic near Chania ?

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
filippos

Re: Decent Garage or mechanic near Chania ?

Postby filippos » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:21 am

There's a new(ish) service garage (συνεργείο) in Kalyves and the only times I've seen vehicles in that workshop have been when the mechanic has been working on them. I've never looked closely enough to see if keys have been left hanging in a half-closed internal door but it's not uncommon to see that. I've occasionally seen a bunch of keys in an external door of unattended premises (and quite often when the shop is open).

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:01 am

Cundalini wrote:But but ! Surely there would be cars left in the garage ? And the office door would not be left half open in the same position with the keys hanging the lock ?

Why would there be cars left in the garage? Most of his work is regular servicing or replacing some broken component. You take your car early in the morning, he does the work, you pick it up. I would assume that he sometimes gets bigger jobs that he can't do in one day but not often. What office door? His office is the desk at the back of the workshop. It doesn't have a door. What would there be to steal? A few scraps of paper with phone numbers scribbled on them? The only things of value are his tools and equipment and they are in the workshop.

I am not saying he hasn't closed. As I posted earlier, he might have. All I'm saying is the things you are using as indicators that he has closed are not valid indicators. It is even possible that you could go at 11 am and the place might be locked up. If he needs a component there is only him to go and buy it. If a customer is there he will leave the customer looking after the place and not lock it but if he is on his own he would probably lock it up. In that case I would expect there to be a vehicle present.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:17 am

Just to put this to bed, having spoke with John, he has not closed and won't be in the near future. Very thorough at his job.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

hairybloke

Postby hairybloke » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks, Scooby.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:23 am

Jean wrote:I wouldn't expect any mechanic to work at 5 pm.

For the record, nor would I. Consequently, I was surprised to discover that George Simvoulakis (mentioned above) generally works 9:30 am till 5pm and frequently long into the evening. Mind, he IS in high demand!

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:18 pm

scooby wrote:Just to put this to bed, having spoke with John, he has not closed and won't be in the near future. Very thorough at his job.

Don`t suppose you have a phone number please ? Is it on the outside of the workshop ? Save me going back !
Cundalini wants his hand back!

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:23 pm

SatCure wrote:
Jean wrote:I wouldn't expect any mechanic to work at 5 pm.

For the record, nor would I. Consequently, I was surprised to discover that George Simvoulakis (mentioned above) generally works 9:30 am till 5pm and frequently long into the evening. Mind, he IS in high demand!

Where abouts is he ?
Cundalini wants his hand back!

scooby

Postby scooby » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Cundalini wrote:
scooby wrote:Just to put this to bed, having spoke with John, he has not closed and won't be in the near future. Very thorough at his job.

Don`t suppose you have a phone number please ? Is it on the outside of the workshop ? Save me going back !
Sorry for late reply, phone number is: 28210 33223 next door to the silk petrol station on the left if you are heading towards Chania.

susieQ

Postby susieQ » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Just for the record, I agree that if you need a very good, reliable mechanic in the Apokoranas area, then you cannot beat George (Giorgos) Simvoulakis. He is open from 9.30 to gone 5.00pm every day and can fix anything, plus speaks great English for us ex-pats. Have been a customer of his for 11 years and cannot praise him enough. His garage is in Vrysses, on the road to Vafes, just before Vrysses high school. Telephone number 28250 51737.
susieQ

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon May 01, 2017 5:52 pm

Cundalini wrote:Where abouts is he ?

Directions & phone numbers for George in Vrises were already provided on page #1 of this discussion.

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue May 02, 2017 1:14 pm

I was recommended George as well but found his quote expensive, somebody in the village told me about some lad who used to be Georges apprentice who has a place on the main road so I went there and his price was nearly 30% cheaper, I found out later that this garage is the one the local Greeks use and since then I've always gone there. It's a busy garage, English is spoken and there's three mechanics working there so i'd suggest you get a price from them and compare.

scooby

Postby scooby » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Kilkis wrote:
hairybloke wrote:Alas, John/Yanni has sold up (I think) and retired!

I haven't spoken to him myself but from what I have heard from friends who have, it is possible that when he does close up his current premises he might carry on doing some repair work from home. It might be worth getting his mobile number if you don't already have it.

If he does close completely, there is another garage almost opposite the Silk petrol station a few metres closer to Omalos. If you drive down the right hand side of the hunting shop the garage at the far end of the block does decent repairs. Not many of the people who work there speak English but at least one does. I've only used them once but they did a good repair at a reasonable price.

Warwick
John has now sold his business and will be working from home so if anyone wants his mobile number please PM.

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”