Airconditioning Installer? VAMOS area

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
SatCure

Airconditioning Installer? VAMOS area

Postby SatCure » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:17 pm

I need an aircon unit installing for a very small room measuring approx 2.2m x 2.8m x 2.5m high.

Reversible type for heat in winter would be useful.

Any idea of cost and recommendations would be welcome.

TIA

Kilkis

Re: Airconditioning Installer? VAMOS area

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:36 pm

I think the smallest units available are 9,000 BThU and that will deal with a room about 4 times the volume of your room. Since it will be overkill it might be worth getting an inverter type since they progressively control the amount of heat taken out/put into the room. Non-inverter types control the heat flow by turning on and off and are generally less efficient. A typical example would be MIYOTO MAS-101 EI/SUK-N2. I have no experience of this particular model so I am not recommending it, I am just using it to give an idea of cost. Obviously there would be an installation cost on top of this. It might be worth asking Lavouta on Anagnostou Gogoni in Chania for a quote. Lots of us have found them very professional. If you click on the address it will bring up a map of their location. Note the marker is on the wrong side of Anagnostou Gogoni. The shop is on the corner of the side road coming out of Chania from 1866 Square.

I've also used Kreta Therm and found them quite good. Their marker is in completely the wrong place. The shop I used is on the corner of Tzanakaki and Solomou. I believe they also have a shop on the Souda Road but I've never visited that one.

I think virtually all aircon units reverse so that they can either heat or cool.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Linarakis in Kalyves plateia also supplies and installs aircon units. It was his primary business during the building boom (along with supplying kitchen appliances to most of the local developers). We've only used him for repairs to dishwasher, washing machine and fridge/freezer and in all cases he's done a good job with very reasonable charges.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:52 am

Many thanks for your replies and apologies for the delay in responding. To be honest, I'd forgotten about the project until I went into my workshop at midnight and found that the fan had failed. 33°C was a bit much to bear!

I agree that the "inverter" type sounds ideal and, for the size I need, is not going to be much more expensive than a conventional type.
http://www.e-shop.gr/air-condition-miyo ... HAP.000837

I have now read about it here:
http://www.airconditioner.me.uk/Benefit ... oning.html

We bought our washing machine from Linarakis in Kalyves so I know the shop owner. Very helpful man. He doesn't speak much English but I can manage in Greek.

My neighbour also needs a (larger) system so maybe Lefteris (?) will give a discount if he makes only one journey.

Martin

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:30 pm

I think that, generally, his prices already match the discounted prices of other suppliers. Yes, his forename is Lefteris and you shouldn't need to speak Greek: his (American) wife is usually the one who runs the shop.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:00 am

His wife didn't accompany Lefteris when he came to inspect my old machine - nor when he came to install the new machine. Consequently, my knowledge of certain technical terms in Greek came in handy.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:30 am

So what is the Greek for sucking the teeth and saying, "It's knackered, mate"?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Pointing to the machine usually works. In extreme cases spread hands out at about hip height, palms up and, in really, really dire circumstances shrug and raise eyebrows slightly at the same time.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:41 pm

I was thinking more of what Lefteris said? I presume service engineer speak is universal even if the language isn't?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:23 pm

On the various occasions he's fixed appliances for us I can't remember a conversation that's involved tech term. We usually talk about his two children, the weather, 'Θέλεις λίγο ρακί;' 'Οχι.' 'Καφέ;' 'Οχι' etc., while he delves into the innards of the machine. If he can't fix it on site he and his lad load it onto his van or truck. If he's alone he points to himself then me, saying 'Μαζί' while making a lifting motion.
No need to talk about πλυντήριο πιάτων, πλυντήριο, καταψύκτης or whatever. I don't want to know what goes on inside the thing; I probably wouldn't understand the intricacies in any language although I did once comprehend 'pcb kaput'. I just want it fixed.
Ευχαριστούμε, Λεφτέρη. Στο καλώ.

john4d

Postby john4d » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:25 am

Lefteris recently installed 3 units for me. I was offered two makes.

a) The slightly more expensive where the mechanical parts were guaranteed for 10 years and the electronics for 5 years

b) Less expensive with the mechanical parts guaranteed for 5 years and the electronics for 2 years.

I was very satisfied with the work with the exception of the electrical connections. The units were tapped into the nearest accessible cable point, therefore there is no way of isolating the unit if it fails. The whole circuit would need to be switched off and everything else on that circuit. I understand that fused switched spurs are not available in Greece so I will bring some back from the UK.

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”