Half Litre Pyrex Measuring Jug

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
filippos

Re: Half Litre Pyrex Measuring Jug

Postby filippos » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Somewhere must have them, John. We have one and we certainly didn't bring it with us so local acquisition, but a long while ago.
Last edited by filippos on Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:10 am

The general hardware store in Kalives main street on the left heading out of town westwards, near the post office, unearthed one for a friend a while ago. Not for nothing is it known as "Arkwrights".

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:00 pm

Ha, you mean Manatakis' store, 'Melissa', founded 1969 that, until about 3 years ago, hadn't changed at all - hadn't even been dusted - but was an Aladdin's cave of just about everything. Then it was taken over by the founder's daughter who's spruced it up, disposed of some of the old things that nobody could identify or imagine a use for but has retained the 'Aladdin's Cave' concept (and clearly does the dusting). I was there yesterday enquiring about a ½ litre measuring jug but, alas, the nearest was a plastic 1 litre one.
There are a couple of pics:
The counter cum office
The owner

Couldn't get a pic of the main shop area: customer blocking the view and not very good light for photos

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:54 am

The very one Phil. Nice photos. Francis Frith would be proud of you.
Sorry the Pyrex jug was obviously the last one.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:32 pm

[quote="Eleni13 Nice photos. Francis Frith would be proud of you.
[/quote]
Yes they are very nice ... when I look at the work of the photographers like Francis Frith, I think how much stuff they had to cart around to get the job done ... and the people management skills they must have had to keep the subjects ,happy , fed and compliant while process took place ...I'm not good at taking photo of people....the Lady with the shop looks like she is enjoying the attention , well done you ....

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:
Eleni13 wrote: Nice photos. Francis Frith would be proud of you.

Yes they are very nice ... when I look at the work of the photographers like Francis Frith, I think how much stuff they had to cart around to get the job done ... and the people management skills they must have had to keep the subjects ,happy , fed and compliant while process took place ...I'm not good at taking photo of people....the Lady with the shop looks like she is enjoying the attention , well done you ....

Thank you both. I was lucky with the pic of the shop owner. Her sister, also interested in photography, was present and she and I were discussing pros and cons of different cameras. I was demonstrating something or other about my little mirrorless Fuji and pointed it through the doorway. "Ah, that could be nice", and pressed the button. I suspect the expression was actually a rueful smile about the two saddos boring the world with photo jargon.

I agree, Jeff, about the amount of gear the early photographers had to lug about compared with modern kit must have needed logistics skills but even now, if taking it seriously, other skills you mention are still needed. I don't like 'sneaking' photos of people with a telephoto but prefer getting close so am often spotted. Most people don't seem to care but sometimes there's a challenge; people skills are needed when a 120Kg Greek guy demands to know why you've taken a photo of him and his girlfriend. That challenges my language skills, too. People in more formal shots need to be kept happy and relaxed as well. Nobody's hit me yet.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:07 pm

A colleague of mine way back in the day was a photography fanatic. He used to use a Linhof camera, I can't remember if it was full plate or half plate but it was absolutely massive. I think it had bellows on both the lens holder and the plate holder so it was possible to create an infinite number of special effects. I remember he spent 4 hours once setting up a shot of a castle and then complained bitterly when he developed the plate because you could see quite clearly both electricity pylons and the suspended cables on a hill about 10 km away. No photoshop then to edit them out. A different world.

Warwick

Mathitis

Postby Mathitis » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:27 pm

John,
I appreciate you are looking for a Pyrex/glass jug but, for what it's worth, I saw half litre plastic measuring jugs in Xalkiadakis [SPAR] in Souda this afternoon - bargain @ 1.70 euros and cheap enough to test it in a microwave if that is why you are preferring glass??

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:51 am

Kilkis wrote:A colleague of mine way back in the day was a photography fanatic. He used to use a Linhof camera, I can't remember if it was full plate or half plate but it was absolutely massive. I think it had bellows on both the lens holder and the plate holder so it was possible to create an infinite number of special effects. I remember he spent 4 hours once setting up a shot of a castle and then complained bitterly when he developed the plate because you could see quite clearly both electricity pylons and the suspended cables on a hill about 10 km away. No photoshop then to edit them out. A different world.

Warwick

That is where the ancient art of retouching was valuable. A scalpel delicately applied to the print surface or the glass plate, and block out medium used to work wonders. Probably not the answer to pylons, but it certainly worked on cables. They would not have been visible in the camera back, of course. Thank goodness those days are gone.

john4d

Postby john4d » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks everyone. It looks as if my first impression was correct and that they are not available in Crete. I will bring one back from the UK, although a friend? did suggest that I make my fortune and import loads of them if they are so scarce!

There are three options, metal, plastic or glass (Pyrex), each with advantages and disadvantages.

a) Metal - unbreakable, easy to clean and heatproof but difficult to use as a measure and can't be used in a microwave.

b) Plastic - nearly unbreakable, easy to use as a measure, can be used in a microwave but not so easy to clean and can't be used in an oven

c) Pyrex - easy to use as a measure, can be used in a microwave and oven, easy to clean and sterilise but breakable

I prefer Pyrex

Ps It's nice to see an innocuous post deviate into another innocuous thread :D
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

peebee

Postby peebee » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:31 pm

Plenty on Amazon

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:02 pm

Probably easier, cheaper and quicker in a local shop 'up north' int' UK (but you possibly wouldn't have known his present whereabouts).

margarita

Postby margarita » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:34 pm

John,

You need to start going to trendy bars in UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/ ... asses.html

margarita

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:06 pm

In Belgium, and in the Bosa Nova taverna in Gerani, Kwak beer is served in a sort of miniature yard of ale glass on a wooden "retort stand". I've drunk it in one bar in Brussels Grand Platz where so many people steal them that you have to give them one shoe before they serve you and you get it back when you return the glass. That was certainly well over twenty years ago so hardly trendy?

Warwick

john4d

Postby john4d » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:27 pm

Thanks Margarita, but maybe Tesco would be easier and cheaper!

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”