Wrought iron gates

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
chrissyg

Wrought iron gates

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:41 am

Looking for a standard wrought iron gate for our drive and having difficulty. Our builders are offering incredibly expensive ones from their bespoke 'suppliers' and can't find anything normal . Is there anybody in Crete that supplies them? Want to choose from a catalogue online if poss as we cant go out again until all is finished and only a short while to go now.

Kathleen

Re: Wrought iron gates

Postby Kathleen » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:24 pm

I had mine made by the local welding engineer in Pigi. The various fancy bits and pieces you may wish to have incorporated in it were all available from catalogues he had. It was made within a week and was fitted by him. I was also offered the option of having it made with an electrical opening system, which I declined. Given the size of it (big!) and the slope of the lane it fronts onto, it was not an easy job. Ten years on with only the occasional coat of Hammerite, it still slides open and closed easily and does the job. Cost was 900euros.

May be worth asking around where you at moving to.

Kathleen

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:05 pm

Thanks, dont know where Pigi is but that sounds like an option. Could you give me any details, like an email or web- site? I would love to see a catalogue. We actually only want something pretty plain and probably fairly average sized., and really wanted to buy one, give it to our builders and get it done before we come it in august when it should all be done.Thanks!

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:07 pm

Ps. Moving to xirosretni near Vamos.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:25 pm

Pigi is a little inland slightly to the east of Rethymno. Put Pigi into Google Earth and you should find it easily enough.

I could be wrong but this sort of product is mostly made by small, local blacksmiths. I doubt if you will find any sort of online catalogue. They are mostly made to order because there is no such thing as a standard size gate. The opening is whatever the builder decided to make it.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:44 pm

Yeah, thats ok, i dont mind if its bespoke and our builders are based in rethymno.so maybe they could get it for us. They seem to have one favoured supplier for everything and want to charge us over 2k for a gate! I hope Kathleen can get me some contact details, i just need a supplier thats all.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:49 pm

Do you really want wrought iron gates ? Sure they are very beautiful and will last for ever , but the price will be very high, blacksmithing is a highly skilled craft and the raw materials on a small island are expensive ... why not go for steel ? Much cheaper material cost , plentiful supply , much quicker construction time , and plenty of people here with the skill set to produce quality work ....

P&B

Postby P&B » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:49 pm

There's a metal works in Neo Chorio not too far from the Pharmacy and on the same side of the road. You could speak to them and see if they could make what you need.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:27 am

Yes, i'm actually not too bothered about the material and just want to get a normal gate for a driveway, it doesnt have to be fancy, just a gate.
As we arent 'moving in' yet and will be renting my problem is i just want it put in and we dont have the time to come out and look around. That is why i was hoping for an online supplier that we could choose a style like you can here in uk to be honest. The ones our builder has sent us are ok just incredibly expensive and i was just hoping there might be another more reasonably priced company or individual that ww could put them onto.
They did this with a stove that we wanted, they sent us pics and we chose one.

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi Chrissy, the engineer actually had the brochure when we met him. I only told him the bits I wanted to use in the gate with a rough sketch and he took it from there. It is made of steel, about 3.25 mts long and 1.75 mts high. Lightweight solid panels in the lower area with 15mm square 'arrows' going up through two cross rails. Overall, framed out with hollow box steel. It slides sideways across my gateway, and is secured with a heavy padlock when I am not here.

Pigi is near Rethymnon, so I would think the suggestion you enquire at Neo Chorio is a good one, most of the metal workshops I would imagine should be able to sort something out for you. I found him through a local Greek neighbour, he has no catalogue or website I am afraid.

Out of curiosity, who is your builder?

Kathleen

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:45 pm

A company called Action and they are very good but they have their own suppliers for everything. I forget the name of the metal company but they are big, have brochures and are doing our pegola and bits but on this occasion, and its the last thing really i think they are asking too much and we were hoping to find it cheaper elsewhere. Im sure we could find people ourselves if we were out there and had more time there but it makes it tricky being in the uk and we are almost finished. I was hopeful there might be another such company that we could look at online from here , choose a gate style and get our builders to use them instead which to be fair they have done with other requests along the way,but from the sound of it, there isnt. Thanks anyway.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:06 am

chrissyg wrote:Ps. Moving to xirosretni near Vamos.

Probably Ksirosterni (phonetic).

Chris Dilnot welds metalwork. I'm pretty sure that includes making gates. I believe that he's local to Vamos - or at least Apokoronas - and that he has a Facebook presence.
Try 69458 10415 (old number, might have changed).

Martin

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:27 am

While I realise that Martin was correcting the spelling and I agree that transliterations are always open to debate, the Greek word is Ξηροστέρνι, which starts with an X, so it is more normal to transliterate it as Xirosterni. Literally it means Dry Cistern so you might like to think about that when planning how much water storage you need. Names are often chosen for a reason.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:06 pm

'X' is what's used for the transliteration on road signs.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:10 pm

Yes, it is always called Xirosterni on everything, and the greeks pronounce it like Ziro, i thought it meant 2 wells which are side by side in the village centre but i could be wrong. Seems to rain quite a lot up there in the winter being in the mountains.
Im not on facebook, used to be but withdrew from it because of random dodgy unwanted posts which were reported and blocked but kept on coming!

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”