Salted capers and pomegranate molasses

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
SPDL

Salted capers and pomegranate molasses

Postby SPDL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:58 pm

G'day! So, we're all set to move to Crete in November. I'm in Crete now, ahead of the move, and I've been shopping around for all sorts of things. I cook - lots, it's one of my hobbies - and between Chania and Irakleio I've managed to find practically every herb and spice and condiment that I use regularly. One thing is vexing me though, and that is that I can't find salted capers anywhere - I've looked in every spice shop and supermarket I've come across, to no avail. I can find them everywhere in brine or vinegar, but not dry salted (which I find kinda odd, given that's how they seem to mostly be sold in the Cyclades). If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd much appreciate it.

The same goes for pomegranate molasses; I use that a bit too but haven't managed to find any so far.

Yin&Yang

Re: Salted capers and pomegranate molasses

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:01 pm

I don't know where on Crete you are but there is a good shop called Toco in Kalyves which you might try.
Someday is now : )

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:05 pm

I will be going to Kalyves later this week and could ask for you? The shop stocks British, Dutch and German etc. food, sauces, and other stuff. And although I haven't heard of the ingredients you are looking for, it is worth a shot.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 pm

I'm not a fan of capers so I never buy them. If you put "αλατισμένα κάπαρη" into google.gr every article I could find was about preserving "σε αλατισμένο νερό", i.e. in brine so I am guessing that dry salted are not that common.

I would guess most Greeks probably make the Pomegranate Molasses themselves from the fruit as they do with virtually every fruit you can think of. You might find it in shops selling home made produce.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Yin&Yang wrote:I will be going to Kalyves later this week and could ask for you?
While in Kalyves it might also be worth asking in 1000+1 Flavours, directly opposite Piraeus bank. They have a very wide range of unusual foodstuffs. If Giannis the owner doesn't stock them he may be able to suggest a source.
Frankly, I'm not surprised these two products are difficult to find. There seems to be very little demand so shops will not want to spend on stocks that might sell only one or two packs per year if they're lucky.

peebee

Postby peebee » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:22 am

You can get them on Amazon, or even make your own.
There is an abundance of caper plants in my area, hundreds of the little buggers in my olive grove alone.
You are more than welcome to help yourself to buckets of them, preferably take all the bloody plants with you :lol:

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:04 am

It's a bit difficult to point you in a direction without knowing where you are based. But if you are anywhere near Rethymno, the Moka shops will have the molasses, and so many other tempting products that it's worth making a special trip there.

I agree about preserving your own capers, both capers and berries, but it's too late for this year.

Seriously, if you love cooking, one of the nice things about living here is the variety of raw materials for preserving - and having the time to experiment with them. Capers are certainly to be found everywhere in Crete. Cretans have been making their own 'molasses' from the first grape juice since time immemorial, and pomegranates are everywhere. Some friends of mine regularly make syrup - it's only one stage more for molasses.

SPDL

Postby SPDL » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks to all of you for the replies! We'll be based in the southwest, near Paleochora, but will be travelling all over the island fairly regularly, at least to start with. I didn't realise caper plants were quite so abundant here - having lived in central London for the past two decades, my foraging skills aren't great - but we've already had a couple of our new neighbours promise to show us the ropes, which I'm really looking forward to. And the specific shop recommendations are also much appreciated - I figured I'd have to stop cooking a lot of my favourite dishes (a very small price to pay to be be able to live here!), but if I'm still able to get hold of obscure ingredients, all the better. Thanks all!

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:44 pm

You'll almost certainly be introduced to yet more obscure ingredients that you've never heard of, many of them tasty.

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:59 pm

filippos wrote:You'll almost certainly be introduced to yet more obscure ingredients that you've never heard of, many of them tasty.

Here's one http://greece.greekreporter.com/2013/04/07/cretan-herb-stamnagathi-gets-world-seal/ - very tasty and very good for you.
You can buy the seeds in the shop opposite the bus station in Chania.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:03 am

Been eating stamnagathi since '96. One of my favourite foods, especially the wild variety.

SPDL

Postby SPDL » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:07 pm

I had some with lamb a couple of weeks ago and I have to say that I was impressed too! Well, I think it stamnagathi; I had it explained to me as 'a wild horta a bit like chicory' and it was excellent :)

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”