AFM - 2 quick questions

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
SPDL

AFM - 2 quick questions

Postby SPDL » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:25 pm

G'day all,

I'll shortly be in Crete to set a few things up ahead of our move. I've got two quick AFM questions - first up, should I take anything over and above my passport, birth cert and marriage cert (and photocopies)?

Secondly, my wife won't be with me, but if I have her documents, will I be able to obtain an AFM for her at the same time? Or must they be obtained in person?

Thanks in advance for any help!

filippos

Re: AFM - 2 quick questions

Postby filippos » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Things may have changed but when we acquired our ΑΦΜ documents (1998) it was done on our behalf by our lawyer while we were still in the UK. We needed them as we were buting property and intended to buy a car on arrival here.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:27 pm

I tend to agree with Filippos, I would ask my accountant to do it for me. If you do go ahead and do it yourself you both need to fill in an M1 form and sign it. You can download it as a pdf here.

For you to get your wife's form she will have to write a an authorisation on a "ΥΠΕΥΘΥΝΗ ΔΗΛΩΣΗ" form. It might need to be written in Greek, I'm not sure. Certainly every time I have had to complete one of these, it has many uses, it needed to be in Greek

Are you doing this on your own without any assistance from an accountant? If so you will probably be registered as tax resident in Greece. Is that your intention? If not make sure you put your accountant as your representative in Greece and his address as the contact address.

Warwick

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:34 am

And don't forget an E111 Just in case you need any health care.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:40 am

What has the EHIC got to do with obtaining an ΑΦΜ?

Warwick

SPDL

Postby SPDL » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks all. As far as I understand things, I don't particularly mind if I get registered as tax resident in Greece or not; I'll be earning in the UK and paying tax in the UK. Or would you advise trying to stay tax resident in the UK, as far as the Greek authorities are concerned?

I need to get an AFM so that I can get a mobile, an internet connection, a bank account, a car and so on. I am meeting with George the accountant the day after I was going to try to get my AFM, so I suppose I can enlist his help if I'm having problems.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Kilkis Nothing as such it was just a reminder.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:27 pm

SPDL wrote:...Or would you advise trying to stay tax resident in the UK, as far as the Greek authorities are concerned?...

YES!

SPDL wrote:...I am meeting with George the accountant the day after I was going to try to get my AFM, so I suppose I can enlist his help if I'm having problems.

Get advice from George FIRST. Get the AFM the day after you meet with George! Stopping getting a problem is relatively easy once he is helping you. Putting it right once the problem has occurred is a total nightmare and in many cases impossible.

If you get registered as tax resident here then you have to declare your worldwide income here and pay tax on it here and that would include your earnings in the UK. You would then need to get double taxation forms from the Greek tax authority, which is also a nightmare, and submit them to HMRC to avoid paying tax in the UK. You would also pay more tax on that income in Greece than you would in the UK. IF you can't manage to prise a double taxation form out of the Greek tax authority then you end up paying full tax here and in the UK on the same income. Is that really what you want to happen?

Getting registered for an AFM is simple but shouldn't be treated as trivial.

SPDL

Postby SPDL » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Warwick, I'll very much defer to your advice in that case then! I have read the Living in Crete book a couple of times (and the updated information on this site too), and I had the impression that getting an AFM was all just a fairly straightforward exercise with no potentially problematic implications - much like getting a NI number in the UK or an ATO number in Australia. Thank you!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Getting the number is very easy. You give them the completed M1 form, your passport and a photocopy of your passport. Give them anything else they ask for, e.g. birth certificate, marriage certificate etc. Job done. Giving you the number means that they have registered you with the tax authority BUT HOW have they registered you, that's the problem. Let George sort it, he knows the system inside out and backwards.

When you go in his office you will notice that there are piles of files everywhere. Those are mainly the files of people who didn't use him, got their tax affairs into a big mess and then came to him to try to sort it out. For the sake of one day it's not worth risking becoming one of them.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Just to add, Warwick is 100% right. Also, I've been a client of George since 1999 and will be eternally grateful to my lawyer for the recommendation and introduction.

alansmithnl

Postby alansmithnl » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Yes, I agree. We are there in April, so we met with George when we were there on holiday two weeks ago. He got me sorted out with AFM the next day. It involved me signing a declaration In triplicate (which George provided) in front of the PEK official (a few hundred metres away from George's office) getting a few stamps to verify my signature, back to George's office and My AFM number was there the next day in my email including the certificate as a pdf file. All I needed was my passport.
Extremely quick and painless.
Alan

SPDL

Postby SPDL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 am

Awesome, that's really good to know, as I'm hoping to buy a mobile that week and to try and get the internet hooked up to our new house too.

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”