Timber or Plastic Decking.

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
Dinksy

Timber or Plastic Decking.

Postby Dinksy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:50 pm

Does anybody have any experience of a contractor who can design and install exterior decking. We have an section of the garden that only looks good in the spring so we need to change it to decking and be able to make use of it all year round.

Recommendations much appreciated.
Never mind the quality, feel the width.

filippos

Re: Timber or Plastic Decking.

Postby filippos » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:53 pm

I'd be inclined to pave it or cover it with gravel on a suitable base, i.e. something that will stop the gravel just sinking into the ground. Weed stop covered with about 3cm of sand under the gravel worked well for us. The only maintenance was to pull up a few weeds where seeds had fallen on the gavel (i.e. not under the weed stop)and the occasional rake-over.
Wooden decking is going to need treatment regularly to stop it rotting so you're building in future maintenance and cost and can be slippery if the surface is damp.
Most plastics deteriorate quite quickly in intense sun and it's very difficult to find any with colours that don't fade quickly so will probably not look great after a very few years. Plastics also tend to be slippery.
Not that I'm a follower of fashion in garden design but I did read recently that many people in the UK who followed the decking craze promoted by the TV garden designers are now in the process of ripping it up, wishing they'd never installed it in the first place.

Yin&Yang

Re: Timber or Plastic Decking.

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:25 pm

I agree with Filipos' comments. Where we have wanted to create additional sitting areas on our land we have either used the membrane/gravel method described by Filipos, or in one instance we have laid a concrete base with a slightly rough surface to help with grip when wet.
Someday is now : )

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”