oil fired heating

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
mythos master

oil fired heating

Postby mythos master » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:52 am

Looking for tips re heating,system is 13 years old,boiler serviced every year,checked it out this week,hot water not getting hot,any ideas please
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

Kilkis

Re: oil fired heating

Postby Kilkis » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:25 am

My solution would be to call a plumber.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:53 pm

First you need to determine whether the boiler is lighting. If it isn't, then there's your answer. If it is then check that the pump is working.

(If you need to ask "how?" then I refer you to Warwick's answer.)

Our boiler wouldn't light a few years ago. A quick check determined that the oil filter was full of water! The oil tank (outdoors) had no air vent and dragged air in through the screw cap thread. That was fine until it rained and the cap was sitting in a pool. The simple solution was to drill a tiny air-hole in the side of the tank, near the top. I glued a narrow tube into it to keep out insects.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Air locks in the fuel feed sometimes cause the boiler to attempt to light but fail to do so. I have only experienced them myself when the oil has been allowed to drop below the feed tube inlet in the tank. You can usually see that as a low oil level in the glass bulb close to the boiler. If that is the problem then put more oil in the tank, screw the glass bulb down a few turns, but not completely off, and set the boiler going. The bulb should start to fill up with oil. When it starts to overflow onto the floor quickly screw the bulb back up. The boiler should then light.

There are also some hard safety trips that might need resetting if the boiler is not attempting to light. One is usually a small red button on the control panel hidden behind a black plastic screw-on cap that looks like a fuse holder. The other is usually behind the boiler door on the burner.

Warwick

mythos master

Postby mythos master » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks for replies,had yearly service done on boiler,problem could have been due to low water pressure in system,fortunately/unfortunately due to lovely autumn weather haven't used heating since,so will wait and see
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:05 am

mythos master wrote:due to lovely autumn weather haven't used heating since, so will wait and see

We test ours every Autumn before the cold weather sets in. Otherwise, if you wait till everyone else has discovered their heating isn't working, you could wait weeks for a plumber.

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”