Best places to source DIY products?

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
raw

Best places to source DIY products?

Postby raw » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:27 pm

Hello,
Can people advise the best places to source diy materials (something similar to b&q bricodepot etc.) We are near Chania currently.
Many thanks
R@W

Yin&Yang

Re: Best places to source DIY products?

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:54 am

Hi, not sure how to link you, HOWEVER, if you look under one of the headings on the main forum page 'shops, doctors, suppliers' section, there is a topic not too far down the page called 'flamethrower' where Kilkis provides links to two places. I have only been to the first, on many occasions, and it has a good stock plus will order things in for you. I have also been recommended by the locals here to try the second of Kilkis' suggestions which I no doubt will do when I next require something as it's good to see what they have too.

Lynn
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:06 am

The only thing that comes anywhere close is Praktiker and the only store on Crete is in Heraklion.

I would use Sketakis or Foteinakis for tools fixings etc, Kafkas for anything electrical, Gavrilakis or Sidal for metalwork, both on the right hand side of Kissamou driving into Chania from Kissamos direction and Panayotakis, near the Omalos junction with the national highway, or Kakavelakis, on the road into Galatas from the Omalos road, for wood. For Building materials like bricks, cement etc I would use the nearest builders yard. Since the recession most of them are carrying little or no stock and order in to your requirements often with payment up front. Nikolakakis, on the Omalos road opposite the turn off for Galatas is good for all forms of Plegma as they manufacture it on the premises.

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:02 am

Yes, Warwick is correct about Praktiker. It's got just about everything you could conceivably need and well worth a trip down to Heraklion if you don't mind the drive. Dead easy to find. Take the second exit off the main highway from the west (not into Heraklion centre) but the next one marked for the airport and Alikarnassos, follow the road past the airport terminal and it's about half a kilometre further on, on the left.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:38 am

Praktiker also deliver. We bought, on line, a lot of metal shelves/racking for our basement and boiler room and they delivered pretty quickly. Downside was that we didn't actually look at the racking up close and touch it but we to-od and fro-od with them on line, asking particular questions before we made the decision to purchase. It is good quality stuff!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:27 pm

One of the thing I really love about Crete , is the lack of shops like B&Q ... instead there are loads of proper family run , hardware , toolshops, builders merchants, steel stockholders , paintshops , and timber merchants ... staffed by folk who know what it is they are selling ...and really need our trade .....Practiker is great for some stuff , but for me I find the small local shops more useful.. more choice ,and cheaper ...if I go to my local hardware shop for, say some cupboard door hinges . he has boxes and boxes of them, left hand, right hand ,brass , steel , whatever ... it becomes a social event .And the screws for fitting them are given free of charge ....

raw

Postby raw » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Thank you for your replies, very helpful for a novice like me.
Best wishes
R@W

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:30 pm

You are not wrong jeffstclair, we visit our local shopps on a frequent basis and they do us proud!
Lynn

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:33 am

Jeffstclair wrote:One of the thing I really love about Crete , is the lack of shops like B&Q ... instead there are loads of proper family run , hardware , toolshops, builders merchants, steel stockholders , paintshops , and timber merchants ... staffed by folk who know what it is they are selling ...and really need our trade ........

We're with you on this, Jeff. We avoid big supermarkets and use the local SINKA every six weeks or so for bulky stuff but everything else we buy from local, family shops (even the s/market's a bit like that; we know all the staff and most at the checkout have remembered my 'Bonus Card' number).

We support the local shops 'cos we don't want them to be driven out of business mostly because they have families to support and we've seen many of their children grow up and partly because we dislike hauling into Xania to shop. In the 15+ years we've been here we've shopped at Lidl three times, spending about €20 in total; AB once; Marinopoulos maybe 10 times (10+ years ago) and Halkiadakis about the same when that was the only place I could get mature Cheddar in big lumps. I can now buy it in a local shop 250m from my front door and it's cheaper (same brand).

We also, of course, pick up the local gossip in the private shops and cafés.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:55 pm

I love the friendliness of the local shop keepers. One recently gave us a gift of a book on local flowers which she thought we would enjoy! Another time we visited a small tool shop and came out with a puppy ...

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:37 pm

Mixos wrote:Yes, Warwick is correct about Praktiker. It's got just about everything you could conceivably need and well worth a trip down to Heraklion if you don't mind the drive. Dead easy to find. Take the second exit off the main highway from the west (not into Heraklion centre) but the next one marked for the airport and Alikarnassos, follow the road past the airport terminal and it's about half a kilometre further on, on the left.

Apologies for being pedantic, but these instructions will not take you to Praktiker. Praktiker is not on the same road as the airport terminal. You need to take the first left turn half a kilometre after the airport terminal, follow the road round, take a right fork after approx 300 metres, then you should see the store. You need to drive past the right hand side of the store, then turn left round the back of the store to find the car parks. One above ground, one in the basement.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:03 pm

...or possibly don't take the right fork after 300 m but keep straight on? That should take you past the car park and you can turn right at the end of the car park and right again to get into it. I'm not sure if there is a no entry going this way?

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 am

You may be able to do that, but something is also bugging me about a no entry that way. Not sure. I always go the other way, so I'm a bit hazy about your suggestion.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:03 pm

There is certainly a no entry going the other way, i.e. as you drive up the last bit going your way there is a no entry just after the left turn into the open car park, but cars seem to be able to drive down that road and turn right into the car park.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:01 am

Kilkis wrote:There is certainly a no entry going the other way, i.e. as you drive up the last bit going your way there is a no entry just after the left turn into the open car park, but cars seem to be able to drive down that road and turn right into the car park.

Warwick

So, in that case, you should be able to turn right off the main road and come down the slope, as you proposed.

I'm sure everyone is please we've resolved that.

Andrew

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”