Sending a package to the UK

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
Jeffstclair

Sending a package to the UK

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:27 pm

I want to send a container of our olive oil to my daughter in London, has anyone done this ? who did you use ? we live at the East end of the Island ...but I will deliver it up the other end if I need to ...thanks ...

Tim

Re: Sending a package to the UK

Postby Tim » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi Jeff

Have sent you a PM.

Cheers
Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:45 pm

A friend ships oil back to family in the UK every year and he uses Nomad's Crete Express Service. They deliver from their base in Vamos near Chania to their base in Peterborough. They will collect from an address at this end and deliver to an address at the other but obviously charge extra. He has found it cheaper to use a courier at the UK end to collect from their depot and deliver to his family.

It might also be worth talking to Greengibble who are based in Kefalas quite close to Vamos. They are not really a courier service but he makes regular trips to the UK to buy stock for his English shop in Crete. Typically he would go back empty so anything he can get paid to take back is a bonus. I would tend to phone rather than email.

If you know of an English shop down your end it might be worth contacting them.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks Warwick... I 'm going to get on to this after the holiday . We don't have an English Shop down this end apart from the British food shop in Agios Nikolaos. and I think their stock comes via a wholesaler . I sent some oil out to the UK with Nomad years ago , and it worked OK, so I guess I'll use them again ...at that time I had a friend who lived near Peterborough, who for a free can of oil picked it up and took it to London ...at that time Nomad did not deliver packages in the UK .. .I'll get on to Nomad and plan when I'll do the long drive to Vamos and I'll find a courier who will pickup from Nomad ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:18 pm

It would be worth asking Greengibble to see if he will do it cheaper than Nomad. Also if he is going anywhere near where you want it dropped he might include that at low cost. He is only a few km from Vamos in Litsarda so it is no less convenient to drop it off at his shop. White Van Man could have been another alternative but I was told he won't transport oil because it is inflammable.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:32 pm

Greengibble now have a shop in the centre of Kalyves which will be easier to find than Litsarda for a stranger to the area. It's probably slightly closer/quicker, too.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:49 pm

I just had an reply from Ben at Greengibble ...sadly they don't shift parcels to the UK anymore ...it seems the food supplies now arrive in containers so they don't have empty vans heading north ..they do however sometimes have space in containers coming here ...jeff

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:42 am

Jeff,

Its worth being aware that Nomad carriage costs are based on volume rather than weight - should make their price for shipping heavy items like olive oil very competitive. I always use Nomad for shipping my olive oil to UK - helps that my UK home is a 30-min drive from their Peterborough base.

Peter

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:45 am

Forgot to mention, there is a price calculator on the Nomad website:-

https://nomad-international.com/parcels ... e-express/

Peter

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:58 am

That's very handy,I don't have a base in the UK and so I would have to get a courier to pick up from Nomad and deliver to London...plus day driving to vamos and back and a tank of diesel in me old truck...I,m still working out the logistics...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:39 am

Jeffstclair wrote:... I would have to get a courier to pick up from Nomad and deliver to London...

My friend shipped 160 litres of olive oil to his son using Nomad. It cost £160 in the UK for a courier to deliver it from Peterborough to High Wycombe. He can't remember which courier he used but he did search round for the cheapest quote. That should give you some idea of what it is going to cost you at the UK end. There are courier comparison sites in the UK such as Parcel2go and Parcelcompare.

Warwick

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”