Bicycle Shop in Kalyves

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
P&B

Bicycle Shop in Kalyves

Postby P&B » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Does anyone familiar with the bike shop in Kalyves know if they sell the Specialized brand of bicycles? Do they carry much stock or, if not, can they order specific models and sizes?

Thanks

Kamisiana

Re: Bicycle Shop in Kalyves

Postby Kamisiana » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:27 pm

P&B dont know, but I just bought a very nice Scott Scale 940 from Pedal On in Uk and got shipped with Nomad for 100 pounds,Sky is the limit for choice from the UK and cheaper I like to buy here where I can but fed up with being overcharged and told what they think I should have and not what I want.
Also got 300pounds worth of extras with Pedal On.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 am

The owner of Kalyves bike shop is very helpful and has a reasonable amount of stock - at least, he did have when my wife bought a bike from him a couple of years ago. Last time I passed the shop it looked pretty full.
There are several bike shops in Xania but I can only remember the location of two of them. As you approach Xania past Lidl, straight ahead at the next lights, pass the cemetery on the right then, at the next lights turn left onto Marko Botsari. One of the shops is about 400m on the right just before the fourth (I think) sets of lights. If you can't park on the street turn right at the set of lights after the shop (about 50m) to the entrance of the car park on the corner.
The other shop is on the way out of Xania, on Apokoronou. From the market end go ahead at two sets of lights and at the third lights (on the far right corner) you'll see that shop. You should be able to park more or less outside.

ScotinCrete

Postby ScotinCrete » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:35 am

Nikos has a good range and worth trying a bit of a haggle with - I will deny saying this of course :) He will also do ongoing service for the bike.
Very nice guy - though beware his 3 Yorkshire Terriers :lol:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:33 am

Two shops to add to Filippos' suggestions, both on the Kissamos road out of Chania:

The first Antonis Bike Shop is on the left hand side shortly after where the one way system ends. It's opposite a small garden café. If you get as far as the small garden centre you've gone past it. They do servicing and repairs and speak English. You can get an idea of what they stock and prices on their web site.

The second is on the right just before the second set of lights where the road goes off to Theriso. Also does servicing but doesn't speak any English. There is a scruffy looking bike shop just before it.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:49 am

As an afterthought, if you have a particular make and model in mind you could try putting it into the search bar on Scrooge. It would allow you to compare if it is cheaper to buy in the UK and ship or buy here. It would also allow you to decide how the price you are being asked compares with other Greek outlets.

For example, if you put Kamisiana's Scott Scale 940 into Scrooge you get only one supplier listed for Greece, Action Bikes in Athens. They have it on offer at the moment for €1,929 reduced from €1,999. Pedal on are offering the same bike for £1,729. If you add £100 for transport with Nomad and convert to Euro at today's exchange rate it would be €2,059. In this case more expensive to ship from the UK but in other cases it might be cheaper.

As another example Antonis in Chania is offering an IDEAL BOOMMAX 27.5 2017 at €899. That is also the best price Scrooge has, at Action Bikes again, and Ideal bikes in the UK has it at £890 so again dearer in the UK.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 pm

We bought our bicycles in Norway at half price and brought them with us on the plane at a cost of 30 euro so all in all we saved a lot of money NOT buying in Crete. The guy in Kalyves is quite nice, helpful and reasonable when it comes to service etc but know several people who would not go back to him as they did not find him very competent.
The dogs are not very scary though!

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Sorry cant remember the name, but if you drive out of Chania on the one way stretch, the one that takes you to Souda rd where the main police station is, about 500 600 mtrs before the police station on the right hand side the shop is on the corner, they are excellent, perfect English and top service. I was recommended them by one of the English lads who's a keen biker, stocks many top brands, i wanted a Carrera but ended up with a Merida which i'm pleased with

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:46 pm

I think it's the same one Filippos described second, Danny. It's called Ποδηλατοδρόμιο. Doesn't look like they have a web site.

Warwick

P&B

Postby P&B » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I have found the website of one of the shops www.podilatodromiochania.gr. I'm thinking of the Specialized Crosstrail HD 2018 which is listed at €589. Scrooge has it at the same price. Here in the UK it retails at £550 on the high street plus £100 shipping so it looks cheaper in Crete.

Ideally I'd buy it from the shop in Kalyves since this is closest to where I'm planning to live.

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Yes you're right Kilkis it must be the same one. They had a web site when i got mine so don't know what happened to it.

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 pm

I'd been to the Kalives shop to look and talk to the guy who was very helpful to a point, he stocked a Greek manufacturer as his main seller and did his utmost to sell me one of those , but he didn't seem to be at all interested in finding me the bike i was interest in so i went elsewhere

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Danny wrote:Yes you're right Kilkis it must be the same one. They had a web site when i got mine so don't know what happened to it.

You're correct, Danny. They do have a web site, see P&B's link. For some reason it is not on their Yellow Pages listing so I assumed they didn't have one.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:46 pm

Yes exactly right Danny most of the retailers here I have come accross try to tell you what you can have not what you want,
I tend to do a lot of research when I want to make a big purchase before I part with my money unless you can walk in a shop and say that one please you have to be very carefull,in my experience if you order something you have to pay up front and when they say we got the next best thing try and get your money back.
I have just ordered from the UK a Panasoic combi microwave oven and a Siemans gas hob as the local shops just want to palm you off with the Greek Silital rubbish that I have now,at about the same cost or less with transport I get what I want.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:03 am

I'm surprised you felt the need to buy a microwave from the UK, Kamisiana. When I recently bought one, a Bosch, it was cheaper in Greece than in the UK even ignoring the shipping cost. For example a Bosch HMT84G451 combi microwave, which is similar to the non-combi model I bought, is currently on sale from e-shop for €145 and from Amazon for £165, approximately €185. I've never found any problem buying well known makes locally from e-shop, Expert, Public, Kotsovolos*, Electro-Net or online from shops on mainland Greece using Scrooge. I've never been pushed towards a brand I didn't want. I mostly use Expert, which is a Swiss based company operating in 21 countries. In Greece at least, not sure about other countries, the stores are locally owned but buy through the Expert worldwide network so you get the economies of massive purchasing power with the service of a locally owned store. The store owner also has the freedom to give a discount.

I wouldn't write off all Greek brands. Pitsos was founded in 1865 and has been part of the Bosch-Siemens group, now also including Neff, since 1976. The design, components and build quality are all to the same standards as Bosch and Siemens. They have been a leading innovator in the area of refrigeration for decades. I used to carry out tests on cookers for the company and they would arrive with varying brands but essentially all the same.

Warwick

* I don't usually buy from Kotsovolos because I don't like their service but I wouldn't rule them out and I usually check their prices.

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”