Commando Plugs

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
Kamisiana

Commando Plugs

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:42 am

Does anyone know if Commando plugs and sockets are available here in the Xania area.
Also I need to run a 50m maximum length outside extension lead to run a 2300w soft
start motor from a 16 amp breaker in the house,
am I correct in thinking that 2.5mm cable will be needed to overcome voltage drop over
that 50m run? (Warwick thank you in advance) and thanks to any one else.

Kilkis

Re: Commando Plugs

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:15 am

Commando is a model name for some MK products and I am not sure if they are marketed in Greece. I am sure you would get an equivalent from Kafkas. Print off a picture and the specification of the plug/socket you want from somewhere like Amazon or RS Components and take it into the shop. They are usually pretty helpful. The shop is on the Chania - Kissamos old road going out of Chania. From the junction with the Omalos road go up the hill and through the first traffic lights. Kafkas is on the right hand side at the brow of the hill just before a Silk petrol station. If you get as far as AB Supermarket you have gone too far.

Cable is usually rated to prevent it catching fire and that depends on how it is installed. For your 10 A load 2.5 mm should be OK. It's rated at 13.5 A even installed in an insulated stud wall and much higher than that in free air.

The voltage drop down 50 m of 2.5 mm cable for a 10 A load would be about 3.7 V or less than 2 %. I wouldn't have expected that to cause a problem although it might be worth checking what your actual voltage is at a socket in the house. Some people out in the country at the end of long lines can have quite a bit less than 230 V at the distribution board and then an additional 3.7 V drop might be a problem. Resistive loads, like a hob or an oven, draw less current if the voltage drops and so simply heat up more slowly. Motors, however, tend to attempt to drive their rated load so if the voltage is low they can take higher current and that can cause the windings to burn out.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Got all the fittings I needed, German equivelant to MK Commando, Plus 50m of 2.5mm H07RN-F heavy duty rubber flex from
KAYKAS very helpfull staff everything you need for electric fittings plus they set me up an account and gave me a good discount without me even having to pull a sad face at the price thanks again Warwick.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:31 pm

I never go anywhere else now for electrical fittings.

Warwick

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”