WHERE TO BUY TROPICAL PLANTS AND PALMS

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
CatWitch

WHERE TO BUY TROPICAL PLANTS AND PALMS

Postby CatWitch » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:25 am

We are hopefully completing on a house near Sitia in the next month, fingers and toes crossed. I want to create a "tropical" looking garden, aka Hunte's Garden, Barbados. I know I will be limited on what can survive the heat/dry conditions and that I will need to grow many plants from seed, but where on the island can I buy palm trees and exotic plants please? Do I need to import them directly from Amsterdam etc.?

Yin&Yang

Re: WHERE TO BUY TROPICAL PLANTS AND PALMS

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:15 am

I am not near to you but palm trees, bird of paradise, hibiscus and similar plants can be found at garden centres here. All but hibiscus seem to thrive on our land. Please be aware that these plants seem to survive exceptionally well in the warm and hot months but can suffer in the winter extremes.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:38 am

Take a lot of advice on the palms. The island is now plagued by a palm beetle that is decimating palm trees all over the island. Try to find out if there are species available that are resistant to it. I would also suggest being careful about what you import as I believe the palm beetle was brought in on imported non-indigenous palm varieties. If people had stuck to the indigenous varieties the destruction might not have occurred.

I found that bird of paradise plants are quite slow to develop. I planted one that had three flowers on it when I moved in. For about 4 years every year three flowers would bloom at about the same time, die and that would be it. Suddenly in the fifth year it started to produce more flowers and they developed over a longer period of time. Each year since it has produced more and more.

Also take advice on what to grow depending on how close to the sea you are situated. There are many plants that do not do well very close to the coast while further inland they do fine.

You might find The Mediterranean Gardener by Hugo Latymer useful. It was published by the RHS so presumably reliable.

Warwick

margarita

Postby margarita » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:02 am

The Mediterranean Garden Society has a branch in Crete

http://www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/branches-crete.html

with many knowledgeable members.

The society produces many useful books and leaflets.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:05 am

Sound advise from Warwick..I will just add, while you are planning your garden ,be mindful of the water situation this end of the island and plan a system that will collect the precious rain water and re use the grey water the house will produce. Also choose plants that once established will tolerate the very dry conditions that has become the norm out East ... This winter has been good and wet , but it follows many dry winters. Our village spring is running very very slowly again after stoping completely last year ....oh and welcome to Crete and welcome to the forum ....

CatWitch

Postby CatWitch » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:47 pm

Thank you. Scary that the palm beetle came in on imported plants which are supposed to be screened for pests, i would have thought. Same as vine weevils in the UK I suppose. More sensible to buy indigenous I agree. I might be better to grow certain plants from seed from screened companies. I saw the 2017 pictures of snow around Sitia which was pretty impressive but a lot of plants wouldn't have enjoyed it. I am going to try to grown Dragon Fruit and Star Fruit too, it will be interesting to see what I can actually establish and what survives.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:05 am

When thinking about plant selection, consider also the very strong winds we get here. We have lost many a plant to wind. But then our house is out in the middle of nowhere so we have no protection from its ferociousness.
Someday is now : )

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”