Where to rent a Moving Truck

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
Crete11

Where to rent a Moving Truck

Postby Crete11 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:39 am

Hi Everyone:-)

Does anyone know where to rent a moving truck in Chania? I've looked at many of the car rental places and no one seems to have on for hire.

Thanks in advance!

Crete11

Kilkis

Re: Where to rent a Moving Truck

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 01, 2019 8:51 am

As far as I can tell you cannot hire a self drive truck in Greece. You need to hire a company to do the removal.

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Wed May 01, 2019 9:49 am

Kilkis wrote:As far as I can tell you cannot hire a self drive truck in Greece. You need to hire a company to do the removal.

Warwick

That's my understanding too. I was told it's designed to stop freelancers undercutting the established businesses.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed May 01, 2019 12:45 pm

It's also a licensing thing ...to drive a van or a truck that you don't own , you need to do another test and get a professional driving licence ....

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed May 01, 2019 2:06 pm

A friend of mine had help from a friend moving some furniture on a pickup truck in Chania and was stopped by the police (neighbours reporting them) resulting in a 5.000 euro fine!

border collie mad

Postby border collie mad » Mon May 06, 2019 8:00 am

`crete11,
all this sounds like ''against ur human rights and restricvie practice''.......hate useing those terms......
wish I was a lawyer with nothing to do.......thought the Eu was to help it's citizens......France excluded of course......
think I'd be geting a tow hitch and buy a trailer...u can always sell it when finished.....

I'm just moving to Crete, so suprised by this......clogs

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon May 06, 2019 8:54 am

I'm just moving to Crete, so suprised by this......clogs[/quote]

I'm not , there are a few things about Greek bureaucracy that are hard to get your head round ..

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 06, 2019 9:31 am

border collie mad wrote:...all this sounds like ''against ur human rights and restricvie practice''...

Why? I don't remember anything in the European Convention on Human Rights that gives you the right to hire and drive a truck? All countries have laws and, surprise surprise, they are not all the same. Why have a law that you need to pass a driving test before you can drive a car? Up to 1935 in the UK you needed a licence but you didn't need to take a test to get one and then a law was brought in that said that you did. Why do you have to have an HGV licence to drive a truck above a certain size? Why do you need a PSV licence to drive a coach carrying fare paying passengers? Why do you need a pilots licence to fly a plane. Largely because governments look at what is happening in society and introduce laws aimed at altering behaviour that they regard as bad for society as a whole. The EU unifies certain laws through Treaties, Directives and Regulations but it does not unify everything. What one government decides is unacceptable another government may regard as acceptable.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 pm

border collie mad wrote:think I'd be geting a tow hitch and buy a trailer...u can always sell it when finished.....

You'll have to bear in mind that if you have a trailer it needs to be registered as a unit with whatever vehicle tows it. As Mouche pointed out above fines are likely to be pretty big (€thousands) when you get caught. Also, does your driving licence cover the size of trailer you need?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue May 07, 2019 10:35 pm

You will also probably find that the vehicle will fail its KTEO test if it is fitted with a tow hitch. You're going to love living in Crete, Clogs.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed May 08, 2019 5:56 am

Yeah when I take the truck for the K.T.E.O. test I unbolt the tow hitch ... in fact one year I forgot and the tester unbolted it and left in the back of the truck ...as he handed me the key and the paperwork he nodded towards it and grinned ..

border collie mad

Postby border collie mad » Fri May 10, 2019 1:11 pm

well thanks for the heads up.......still coming tho......

I've lived in France for 15 years and nowhere can be that bad.........can it.......??????????
a hand basin in a toilet makes it a bathroom and at least 10% extra in rates for the privilige, plus u can't use ur mower on a Sunday, absolutley no bonfires in this area, (not wooded) all must go to the local dump/tip....unless ur a local and all is well with that.............
it's all rubbush........hahaha.....

as for law's I totally agree Warwick, but restrictive practices such as the above should be stopped wherever they show up......
but like most law makers all over the world and I've worked most places, they tend to be self centered, money grabing and thick......
if enough people complain laws can be changed......
I just want to be a hermit and play with my toys...... in the SUN.......
nice talking to u......
clogs

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri May 10, 2019 3:26 pm

You will be fine ...It's all about attitude ..Mostly things here are fairly laid back ..so sometimes people coming from other cultures find it difficult , when they try to get definite answers to questions , to the local council , the police , the phone company , the electric company or whatever and end up tearing their hair out when they get six different answers to the same question..And then later after they have phoned here, turned up there with the documents, photocopied their whole life in triplicate ...its done ...and it was easy and you made a new useful friend ...
When we bought this ruin there was no power connected ...So after we had the wiring done ,we went into town to request a connection at Δ.Ε.Η.
We filled in all the forms and got given the meter and the box it lives in and I asked how long before we get hooked up and got told the engineer will contact you ...I had heard stories of folk waiting weeks or even months for a new connection... but hey we had lived for the best part of a year without mains power, we have a big diesel genny and candles and oil lamps ...no problem .....so we left the office and drove home ...the mobile in the glove box rings ...It's the Δ.Ε.Η. engineer " Oh hi I'm in your area this afternoon are you at home ,can I connect you ?"....We wizz home make coffee open packets of biscuits , they turn up , hook up the power job done ...The other side of that is the phone company ...went in to get a landline installed ..."no problem "they say oh and a broadband connection ?..".ah maybe in two years ".. that was in 2006 ......

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”