Gardens and Grass

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
Ladyt25

Gardens and Grass

Postby Ladyt25 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:13 pm

Hi!
I'm back again :)
Our house has a lovely paved garden area and also a strip of land next to it mostly just full of weeds and cactus plants our in by the previous owner.

We are hoping at some stage to install a small pool, planning and finances allowing. However, in the meantime I am considered whether it's be possible to lay down grass to make it a more usable space for guests and we'll, to make it look nicer.

However, I am in the UK currently so only having the internet at my disposal and am struggling to find out where I would obtain grass seed from, how costly it would be and how easy it is to maintain. I had seen some other lively grasses lawns at some larger properties and also when I was there in summer it was suggesting that fake grass could be an option but I am not over keen on that.

Any suggestions if suppliers/landscapers in Hersonissos/Heraklion area? We have a gardener who could obviously cut/maintain it but, unlike the UK it would obviously require a lot more watering I guess?

Thanks

Jeffstclair

Re: Gardens and Grass

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:29 pm

With the water shortages we have in Crete I think grass is not really a possibility unless your house has rainwater storage system and irrigation ...I'm planning a system like this for some fruit trees I have.

Ladyt25

Postby Ladyt25 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Thanks. I'm assuming there are different types of grasses though that are hardier?

We could look into water storage - that'd be right up my dad's street (we own the house as a family). I was considering whether a sprinkler system would work. We already have a watering system for the other plants.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:51 pm

Yes I'm looking at making a raised platform with a water tank .(.the bigger the better.). set on it so the rain water from the roof of the house and workshop runs into it it and the trees can be watered with a network of pipes just below the surface fed by gravity just by turning on a tap ...some kind of trellis around it with something growing over it ...I'm also planing a separate grey water system for shower water and washing machine water it's fine for mature trees as long as you don't use bleach in the washing machine or powerful cleaning products in the shower ....I hate it when we run out of water ..and resent it when folk wash there cars with drinking water ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:29 pm

My neighbour got a gardening company to grass over a section of his garden. Throughout the summer it is sprayed automatically twice per day, for one hour each time, with a large number of quite high speed sprays to keep the grass alive. What does that achieve? Every few days he needs to cut the grass, i.e. it makes work. He doesn't use it for anything. He hasn't any children to play on it. He doesn't sit and look at it. What is the point?

If you are determined to go ahead, given your location I would be inclined to go up to the golf course and ask the groundsman if he has any recommendation on what type of seed to use and where to source it. You could also ask him how much water per sqm they use per year.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:15 pm

Our neighbour has a lawn and their annual waterconsumption is about 800 cubic metre whereas our consumption is about 300 cubic metre. We do not have a lawn but our garden is larger than theirs. Good luck!
Last edited by mouche on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:14 pm

My consumption of domestic water in the last 12 months was 42 cum.

Warwick

Ladyt25

Postby Ladyt25 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:27 pm

Kilkis wrote:My neighbour got a gardening company to grass over a section of his garden. Throughout the summer it is sprayed automatically twice per day, for one hour each time, with a large number of quite high speed sprays to keep the grass alive. What does that achieve? Every few days he needs to cut the grass, i.e. it makes work. He doesn't use it for anything. He hasn't any children to play on it. He doesn't sit and look at it. What is the point?

If you are determined to go ahead, given your location I would be inclined to go up to the golf course and ask the groundsman if he has any recommendation on what type of seed to use and where to source it. You could also ask him how much water per sqm they use per year.

Warwick

Thanks, yes I know the golf course but I would have thought that would be quite 'fancy' grass for want of a better word. The strip of land we have is quite large and I think I would like it to be more of a usable area - is for children to play on and /or for additional seating/sunbathing area.

Currently it's just a bit of a waste ground. There are some trees and I would like to put some more plants but ultimately a think it would look nicer grassed

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:58 am

A rainwater storage system sounds lovely doesn't it? However, Crete is not the UK. In the UK the tank will constantly be topped up. Here, we get almost no rain for 5 months or so in the summer. How big a tank could you install? Once you've used up what rain fell in the winter it will just sit there empty through the summer, and you will be using your piped water supply.

Just my thoughts.

Andrew

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 am

YoMo2 wrote:A rainwater storage system sounds lovely doesn't it? However, Crete is not the UK. In the UK the tank will constantly be topped up. Here, we get almost no rain for 5 months or so in the summer. How big a tank could you install? Once you've used up what rain fell in the winter it will just sit there empty through the summer, and you will be using your piped water supply.

Just my thoughts.

Andrew

Yes you are dead right Andrew ..but a couple of three or four thousand litre tanks will mean I will waste less drinking water for growing stuff ,be able to flush the loos and keep the fruit trees living through the water rationing periods....

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:38 am

Jeffstclair wrote:......Yes you are dead right Andrew ..but a couple of three or four thousand litre tanks will mean I will waste less drinking water for growing stuff ,be able to flush the loos and keep the fruit trees living through the water rationing periods....

Crikey, I wish I could afford to buy a couple of four thousand litre water tanks as my contribution to saving the planet. Good for you though.

Andrew

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:39 am

YoMo2 wrote:
Jeffstclair wrote:......Yes you are dead right Andrew ..but a couple of three or four thousand litre tanks will mean I will waste less drinking water for growing stuff ,be able to flush the loos and keep the fruit trees living through the water rationing periods....

Crikey, I wish I could afford to buy a couple of four thousand litre water tanks as my contribution to saving the planet. Good for you though.

Andrew

Yeah they ain't cheap .. I bought a three thousand litre tank a bit ago I use in to water a vegetable plot out of the village ,I think it was three hundred and twenty euros ... You sometimes see them second hand... I'm not doing to save the planet I want to save my fruit trees and improve my quality of life ...

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”