White goods

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
jackdaw

White goods

Postby jackdaw » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:37 am

We're looking to replace our ancient fridge-freezer and maybe the cooker. I've followed the link to e-shop. looks like there are good deals to be had. Question is whether to follow this pathway (how much hassle involved in ordering online and then getting delivery to our hillside village) or to approach a local retailer? We bought our washing machine from electrical shop in Kolymbari and the proprietor loaded it onto his pick-up, delivered and fitted it on the same afternoon.

Yin&Yang

Re: White goods

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:43 am

I haven’t ordered white goods on line here and have purchased from the big white goods shop in the centre of Xania off 1866 square and also from smaller retailers here. In both cases you get to touch it, feel it and ask questions which can be an advantage. That said, you can visit a shop and identify the item you like and then see if e-shop also sell it, for comparison prices. The retailers we have bought white goods from have all delivered to our remote location, out of the village, without any hesitation.
Someday is now : )

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:25 am

jackdaw wrote:We're looking to replace our ancient fridge-freezer and maybe the cooker. I've followed the link to e-shop. looks like there are good deals to be had. Question is whether to follow this pathway (how much hassle involved in ordering online and then getting delivery to our hillside village) or to approach a local retailer? We bought our washing machine from electrical shop in Kolymbari and the proprietor loaded it onto his pick-up, delivered and fitted it on the same afternoon.

Personally, I would always buy white goods, computers, lap tops, tv sets etc locally. If anything goes wrong with what you bought, you can easily call up the seller and get him/her to come and inspect/repair the item and would probably get a good deal for your money. Buying on-line especially out of this country, would be fraught with problems trying to get repairs done. Locals would probably come and have a look for you, but I think you would get much better service if you had bought from them. Just a personal view. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:28 am

Winter sales start in a few days - worth looking locally.
I always go to these people first http://www.skordilakis.gr/

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:36 am

I've bought lots of smaller stuff from e-shop and collected them myself from the Chania distribution depot. White goods, however, I have tended to order from a local store, mainly Expert - Manias on Skalidi, and let them deliver, install and take away the old item. The shop is on the left hand side of Skalidi heading out of Chania towards Kissamos. It's bright orange so you can't miss it. I am not sure if they would deliver out to you but worth asking. I always found them very helpful.

Ordering online from e-shop is easy. While the web site is mainly in Greek once you get to the order page you can change it to English. When you are on the web page for the item you want there is a large yellow and black button with a shopping trolley icon on it. Click on that and you get a small pop-up panel with another yellow button with the label "Μετάβαση στο καλάθι". Click on that and it shows you your shopping trolley with the item in it and a yellow button with the label "Επόμενο". Click on that and it takes you to the place order page. If it is in Greek look at the top right and you should see a Union Jack. Click on that and it should all change to English. After that it is pretty much like any other online purchase form. I don't know if they deliver all over the Chania Nomos or just in the city.

Warwick

PS I believe that Manias is no longer part of the Expert chain and I have not bought from them since they changed. Expert operated as a franchise system with the store owned locally and goods bought through the Expert chain, which gives you the advantage of large scale buying power but small shop service. As far as I know the shop is still owned and run by the same person so the service should be just as good but I don't know if leaving the Expert chain has altered his prices.

PPS Edited. The language button is at top right not top left as originally posted.
Last edited by Kilkis on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drapanias David

Postby Drapanias David » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:49 am

We always found Euronics in Kolymbari to be reasonably competitive with the benefit of being flexible and local. I see you have used them before so they will remember you, and might even offer a discount, especially as you are buying two items. Online is always an option but local allows you to see the items for yourself before committing to buy plus fitting and service can be arranged mor easily. Because they are part of an independant assosciation they can also order from partner stores elsewhere if you want something that they don't have in stock.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:39 am

Drapanias David wrote:We always found Euronics in Kolymbari to be reasonably competitive with the benefit of being flexible and local...

The Euronics web site does not currently show a store in Kolymbari, only two in Chania city and one in Paleochora? Is it still there?

On Google Earth Euronics is shown almost directly opposite the Silk petrol station on the old road a few 100 m towards Kissamos from where the old road and the road from the New Road cross. It is shown as owned by Πανεθυμιτακησ on the store front in street view. Electronet is another chain that, like Euronics and Expert, operates like a franchise, i.e. individually owned shops with chain buying power. Πανεθυμιτακησ Γεωργιος is now shown as one of the stores in the Electronet chain in the same geographic position that Euronics occupied. It looks like he might have changed allegiance. If he gave good service before I cannot see why that would have changed. I have never bought from Euronics but I have bought from an Electronet store that used to be in central Chania and his prices were good so I would guess his value should still be good.

Warwick

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:33 pm

Thanks for comments folks. First stop will be the shop in Kolymbari.

trebor457

Postby trebor457 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:22 am

The Euronics shop at Kolymbari changed their name about 6 months ago. I can't remember the new name but it's still run by the same people. I would recommend this store if it is local to you. I have bought several white goods from them and their service has been good. they even obtained a users manual, in English, for me.

hairybloke

Postby hairybloke » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:59 pm

Maybe this shop has changed to Electronet? Their website shows a shop in Kolimbari. There's also a shop opposite the entrance to Jumbo in Chania.

https://www.electronet.gr/stores

We can recommend electronet. We looked online for a cooker, and went in to the Chania shop to order it, I think on a Wednesday. It wasn't in stock and they apologised that it probably wouldn't arrive before the next week. We received a call Friday that they would deliver Saturday morning. 8am Saturday, the delivery guy was in our village. They took away the old cooker, as they are obliged to, and were extremely cheery and friendly. I'm sure they would have installed the cooker, but I was expecting it on the Monday so wasn't ready.

By contrast, some years ago we ordered a washing machine online via Kotsovolos. We ticked the box online that we had an old one for them to take away. I took the dogs out of the house, while the Good Lady Professor ('er indoors) waited for the delivery guys. She met them in the village, and they looked as though they'd been sucking lemons all morning. Miserable and not friendly. They drove up to the top of our road and parked. She said the road was ok and we had had many bigger trucks go down the road, but no, they insisted on wheeling the new machine down - bumpy bumpy bumpy - all the way to our house. She checked the machine, signed the paperwork, at which point they started walking out the door. She said they should be taking the old machine away. More long faces and shrugs and "the road is too steep" and again, they started walking out. At this point, the brave Lady Professor grabbed their hand trolley and said "well, if YOU won't take it down the hill, THEN I WILL". At which point, some machismo or shame kicked in, and they took the old machine, effing and jeffing and shouting all the way down the hill. Our neighbour said Kotsovolos had done exactly the same with him. We never use Kotsovolos for anything now.

BST

Postby BST » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:37 pm

We ordered and had delivered a new large freezer from Kotsovolas last summer on the understanding, checked and double checked that the old one would be taken. Men in blue van arrived, not the proper Kotsovolas men and van , and delivered the new fridge freezer. It was like a scene from Laurel and Hardy!!! They refused to take the old one. We phoned the shop and as we guessed, the blue van were sub contractors due to volume of business. Lots of apologies followed and 2 days later proper Kotsovolas van and men arrived to take the old appliance with more apologies. Apparently there had been lots of complaints about the blue van men! Felt sorry for the real delivery men as they were going round clearing up the mess...not their fault.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:57 pm

Easy to understand your experience. For a period of time there was a tie up between Kotsovolous and Dixons, which has now ended. Imagine the staff had been trained by Dixons and everything becomes clear. On the up side it is quite a good store to wander round and see what is available on the Greek market and at what price. You can be pretty sure no staff will bother to interrupt your browsing. Once you have gathered the information go somewhere else and buy it.

I think the Electronet store near Jumbos in Chania is on the corner at the traffic lights where the road goes down to Chryssi Akti from the Kissamos road rather than opposite Jumbos.

Incidentally there is chain called Media Markt which has really good prices and very organised stores. Unfortunately they don't have an outlet on Crete but for the few members who are based on the mainland they are worth a look.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:36 pm

Kilkis wrote:PS I believe that Manias is no longer part of the Expert chain ...
...As far as I know the shop is still owned and run by the same person so the service should be just as good but I don't know if leaving the Expert chain has altered his prices.

We bought a new tumble drier from Manias about a month ago. As far as I could tell the prices are just as competitive as they always have been (we've been buying there for at least 19 years) and the staff, including the owner, haven't changed in several years.
We have never been charged for delivery or disposal of old items and the delivery service is impeccable. On more than one occasion getting the delivery guys to accept a tip has almost ended in a punch up.

jandis

Postby jandis » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:08 pm

For a period of time there was a tie up between Kotsovolous and Dixons, which has now ended. Kilkis

This week I bought a new TV from Kotsovolous and the receipt and support agreement both include 'Dixons South-East Europe AEBE' which suggest that they not separated.

Incidentally there is chain called Media Markt which has really good prices and very organised stores. Unfortunately they don't have an outlet on Crete. Kilkis

Oh yes there is - in Heraklion, not far from the port turnoff from the National Road.
Jandis

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:55 pm

jandis wrote:...Oh yes there is - in Heraklion, not far from the port turnoff from the National Road.
Jandis

Are you sure we are talking about the same company? According to the Media Markt web site there is no store on Crete?

Warwick

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”