Increase in water bills

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
nuska

Increase in water bills

Postby nuska » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:59 pm

I've noticed a large price increase in water bills of late, two extra items added being the culprit. Can anyone explain please?

Kilkis

Re: Increase in water bills

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:10 pm

Has your area changed to mains sewage? If so the water cost itself will double, on the grounds that what goes in must come out, and there could be other charges for having the main sewage. It doesn't matter whether you are actually connected or not. If the facility exists and you could be connected you are charged as if you are connected even if you still use a septic tank.

Warwick

nuska

Postby nuska » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:02 pm

No we have always been on mains sewage, I refused to be subjected to emptying bins.
I'll try to paste the details of extra items later.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:02 am

Have you checked the meter reading and/or compared the water usage with previous periods?

My last water bill, a few weeks ago, was massive compared to normal. The water meter reading shown on the bill was supposed to be for July last year. When I checked the meter it was still less than that July reading over six months later. Clearly the meter reader had made a mistake. I took a photo of the current meter reading to the water company and they amended the bill simply by guestimating what the real reading might have been. Also it is not unknown for meters to go wrong or even for neighbours to tap into your supply.

Warwick

nuska

Postby nuska » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:11 am

The extra items are

ΑΞΙΑ ΝΕΡΟΥ 13%
ΑΞΙΑ ΑΠΟΧΕΤΕΥΣΗΣ 24%

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:33 am

nuska wrote:The extra items are

ΑΞΙΑ ΝΕΡΟΥ 13%
ΑΞΙΑ ΑΠΟΧΕΤΕΥΣΗΣ 24%

Bit confusing. VAT is charged at 13% on your water consumption and 24% on the sewage charge. VAT has always been charged on my bill. What are the actual increased numbers?

Andrew

nuska

Postby nuska » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:39 am

1st is 15.60€, 2nd 20.80€

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:23 am

Simply quoting the charges from one bill is meaningless, Nuska. You are asking why it has gone up and you can only find that by comparing the current bill with previous ones. ΑΞΙΑ ΝΕΡΟΥ is the cost of the water consumed, in your case €15.60. Immediately under that should be ΦΠΑ 13 % = €2.03. ΑΞΙΑ ΑΠΟΧΕΤΕΥΣΗΣ is the cost of the sewage, in your case €20.80. That appears to be exactly the same as the water consumed plus one third of the cost of the water consumed. I think that is typical. I haven't kept the records but I think when I lived in northern Greece it was 1.5 x the cost of the water consumed. You should also have a standing charge for the water supply ΠΑΓΙΟ ΝΕΡΟΥ or ΠΑΓΙΟ ΥΔΡΕΥΣΗΣ and a standing charge for the sewage ΠΑΓΙΟ ΑΠΟΧΕΤΕΥΣΗΣ. Somewhere below that should be ΦΠΑ 24 % charged on everything except the water cost. There could well be some small adjustments plus or minus following the 24 % ΦΠΑ.

Somewhere on the bill there should be the meter reading for that bill, the previous meter reading and the amount of water consumed, i.e. the difference between the two readings. It is right at the top of the bill on mine. Has the amount of water consumed increased drastically from previous bills? If it has check if the small wheel in the meter is spinning even when you are not using water which could indicate a leak or possibly someone has tapped into your line and is using your water. Also look at the current reading on the meter and compare that with the reading on the bill. If you look at a sequence of readings together with the dates they were taken then you should be able to deduce if the meter reader has recorded the reading wrongly. For example my meter in January 2020 was showing a value that was less than the value recorded by the meter reader back in July 2019. Clearly the meter reader had recorded it wrongly. He'd probably recorded a 6 as a 9 because the meter is upside down as you look at it.

If the amounts of water consumed looks to be normal then look at where the cost is calculated. On my bill it is to the left of where the costs are listed. It divides usage into bands and multiplies the amount of water consumed in each band by the cost per m3 for that band. Comparing consecutive bills has the cost per m3 gone up in the bands?

Warwick

PS I don't know if all water companies operate the same but for mine there is a lag in the bills. For example my bill for quarter 1 of 2019 was from 18 January to 9 April. !8 January and 9 April would be when the meter readings were taken. The bill for this period was issued on 7 October so a six month delay from the second meter reading.

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”