Weather websites

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
Kookla

Weather websites

Postby Kookla » Thu May 28, 2020 5:16 pm

I am curious to know as to what weather sites you rely on. I have listed in my favourites The weather channel, (Chania) which frustatingly I have to convert every time from F to C. It defaults every time to F. I know that as a rough rule of thumb one doubles C and adds to 30 to get F ( easier for my mathematically challenged mind than the proper formula!)
I also use meteo .gr as that seems to be based in Vrysses, but the hourly updates seem to be quite off. I have come to realise to add a day to their forecasts, to make it a bit more realistic.
Does anybody have another that they prefer/use?
As I say just curious, any other websites?

Jeffstclair

Re: Weather websites

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu May 28, 2020 5:36 pm

Hi kookla ...we use this one , https://www.deltiokairou.gr/ for local weather you can get a very local forecast for your area , it's not always right but ...who cares near enough is good enough ...

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu May 28, 2020 5:44 pm

I use The Weather Channel (set to Malaxa) which is pretty accurate for the wind and rain reports hour by hour. I also use BBC Weather set to Souda which is not too bad with accuracy but the reason I like it is because it is easy to see a ten day pattern.
Someday is now : )

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 pm

Thank you both. I shall look into those.

Andy

Postby Andy » Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 pm

I've found the weather channel more accurate than some (but it got it wrong yesterday) It remembers the Centigrade setting for me and recognises Sissi when entered as Sision. I have it bookmarked with that location.

One interesting site I found is windfinder.com, not really a forecast but seems very accurate. We have driven down to Myrtos based on the site information, it was blowing a gale here and it said it was calm there - and it was.

Personally I think weather here is so localised that you only ever going to get a rough idea.

Andy

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu May 28, 2020 6:38 pm

I use Weather Underground. The link is to Mouzouras Station which is on Akrotiri close to Chania Airport but I find it is pretty accurate even where I am to the South West of Chania. You can find other stations. I use the ten day forecast and it remembers C/F, which you can set with the little white cog at the top right on the black bar. The blue customize control allows you to choose what is displayed.

I think, like most sites, it uses cookies to remember your settings so if you have them blocked or deleted at the end of the session it might explain why you loose settings on your other site. You could try allowing cookies from your other site as an exception in your security settings.

I think the main weather patterns are quite widespread, Andy. I am close to the foothills of the White Mountains so when a rain event occurs, for example, I will get more mm than Mouzouras predicts for Akrotiri but when the rain occurs and and the probability of it occurring are pretty good. Storm type weather or showers can be highly localised so it might not get that right. This is not peculiar to Crete. I can remember one year in the UK when a fairly small Derbyshire village had rain, snow, hail, fog and sunshine all at the same time in different parts of the village. A pretty extreme example but it illustrates the point.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu May 28, 2020 6:57 pm

My favourite by a long way is this one: https://www.woeurope.eu/cgi-bin/exhttps ... O=&PERIOD=

But too complex to use on mobile phones

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Thu May 28, 2020 9:05 pm

I find Accuweather quite good esp. for weekly forecasts. windfinder.com essential for going out and about in a boat.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu May 28, 2020 9:57 pm

I use Wunderground, 10Km as the crow flies from Kalyves to airport.

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Fri May 29, 2020 6:19 am

My goodness, thank you one and all! I am now going to search all of them and take on board comments. Thank you.

Phild

Postby Phild » Fri May 29, 2020 10:02 am

I have used many of the above suggestions in the past (Weather underground, Meteo, Accuweather (which I ended up calling InAccuweather)), but I stopped using them because they have been sometimes wildly inaccurate - of course, that might have changed by now.

Recently, I've been using Meteoblue for basic forecasts, and Windy - both of which have web-sites and phone apps. Windy is a more complete weather package, allowing you to see detailed weather info, such as weather radar and isobars, etc.
----
Phil
----

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 am

A old mate of mine who is a keen sailor put me on to this site for a global view of the weather ...https://earth.nullschool.net/ Thanks phild for the link to windy that is very good ...

Phild

Postby Phild » Fri May 29, 2020 11:01 am

Jeff - Earth is pretty amazing - I'm currently doing a course on meteorology from Penn State University - Earth will be a fabulous resource for it - thank you!

"Windy" was also recommended to me by people in the sailing world - and they really need to know their weather as accurately as possible.
----

Phil

----

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri May 29, 2020 12:46 pm

I suppose a lot depends on what you want the information for. In my case it is usually when is it most likely to rain in the next few days and how hot/cold is it going to be, e.g. do I put the washing machine on overnight tonight or leave it a couple of days, should I jet-wash the balcony or are we due some more red dust. If it turns out to be wrong it's not a big deal. If you are hiking up in the mountains or sailing out in the Aegean then accuracy tends to be a bit more important. I agree with the "InAccuweather" designation.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Sat May 30, 2020 5:35 am

Phild wrote:Accuweather (which I ended up calling InAccuweather)

Same here - always seemed to be waaay off.
If you can be bothered, make a simple chart, check each forecast daily for a week or 2 and mark each site on a scale of 1-10 to test their accuracy.
Don't bother trying that July/August as they will all just forecast `Scorchio'

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”