Weather websites

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
sandboy2

Re: Weather websites

Postby sandboy2 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:21 am

As far as weather forecasts go, I have never found one here that reflects what is actually happening, let
alone what is likely to happen over the next few days.
Last edited by sandboy2 on Sat May 30, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 30, 2020 10:50 am

sandboy2 wrote:...The drive approaching along the coast from the east is not that attractive in parts...

A very good example of the art of understatement I think? Would "The land where poly-tunnels grow" be a better description? The last time I drove along that road, many years ago, I gave up long before getting to Myrtos so I can't comment on the place itself.

Warwick

mythos master

Postby mythos master » Sat May 30, 2020 11:47 am

I like weather-forecast.com,usually accurate,sometimes to the hour
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat May 30, 2020 4:49 pm

I use The Weather Channel (which I believe is weather.com) on my Ipod - just because my son set it up for me ! That shows me an 8-day overall forecast (i.e. briefly what each day will look like) and a detailed hourly forecast on 'the day'. Usually accurate, often to the hour. I use it both here and when travelling (it picks up my location automatically).

On my laptop I have http://www.weather.co.uk which is also good. In both cases usually OK, but when wrong, boy is it SPECTACULARLY wrong! Rare event. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Andy

Postby Andy » Sat May 30, 2020 4:51 pm

Just remembered, for the summer months George Formby is pretty accurate :D

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat May 30, 2020 8:44 pm

Most of the time I just look out of the window especially in summer. I occasionally look at wunderground if I'm planning going some distance on a photo outing but more than anything that's to consider what I should be wearing. If I'm just going to local shops I don't much care what the weather does; either I don't go or I carry on regardless.

I don't really feel the cold and if I get rained on I can soon dry off and, if necessary, change into dry clothes when I get home. During the last couple of winter's the heaviest garment I've worn is what I think is called a "Spring weight" woollen fleece jacket that reaches about half way down my bum. There's s** all we can do about the weather so just take it as it comes.

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Sat May 30, 2020 9:11 pm

Kilkis wrote: ....If you are hiking up in the mountains or sailing out in the Aegean then accuracy tends to be a bit more important. I agree with the "InAccuweather" designation.

Warwick

This site is useful for weather forecast in the mountains:-

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/mountain_ranges

Peter

peebee

Postby peebee » Sun May 31, 2020 7:41 am

Jeffstclair wrote:Hi kookla ...we use this one , https://www.deltiokairou.gr/ for local weather you can get a very local forecast for your area , it's not always right but ...who cares near enough is good enough ...

I went to that website, got some interesting locations listed in the Chania prefecture, see if you can guess the locations - no cheating by looking at the site first. I got one straight away, the others weren't so obvious.
Warwick, bet you get at least 3.

1. Huts
2. Milkman
3. Swimming Pool
4. Let's Fight

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun May 31, 2020 8:01 am

1. Kalyves

2. Galatas

3. ?

4. ?
Someday is now : )

BST

Postby BST » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:48 pm

Was a big fan of Weather Underground until an update about 6 months ago which was unnecessarily fussy and difficult to read. Plus the app developed a virus so It was uninstalled. It's rating went down from around 4.5 to 1.8 on Playstore and now it's disappeared.
Someone told me about meteoblue I'm very impressed so far. I also use Ventusky and Blitzortung when storms are expected.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:11 pm

I had only used the Weather Underground web site in a browser. I'd never tried to use the App but it was installed on my Android phone so I just gave it a try. It works fine for me. Obviously on a small screen you need to do a lot more scrolling around compared to a 27" monitor but it gives me all the same information in the same format and picked up the station I normally use automatically when I enabled location information.

It is certainly still available in the Google Play Store and I can't find any information about it being infected with malware. There was an App called Weather Forecast that was infected with malware in 2018/19 but I think it was quickly withdrawn from the App Store. Unfortunately it was pre-installed on some Alcatel and Blackberry phones so presumably couldn't be removed from them. Back in 2015 several web sites, including Wunderground, had a problem with malware infiltrated into AdSpirit which delivered adverts to the various web sites so it was possible for devices to become infected indirectly. I am not aware of a problem today.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:17 pm

peebee wrote:
Jeffstclair wrote:Hi kookla ...we use this one , https://www.deltiokairou.gr/ for local weather you can get a very local forecast for your area , it's not always right but ...who cares near enough is good enough ...

I went to that website, got some interesting locations listed in the Chania prefecture, see if you can guess the locations - no cheating by looking at the site first. I got one straight away, the others weren't so obvious.

1. Huts
2. Milkman
3. Swimming Pool
4. Let's Fight

I recon 3 is Loutro ...but 4... I don't know ....

peebee

Postby peebee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:57 am

Jeffstclair wrote:
peebee wrote:

1. Huts
2. Milkman
3. Swimming Pool
4. Let's Fight

I recon 3 is Loutro ...but 4... I don't know ....

3 is Kolymbari
4 is Maleme

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:43 am

Kolymbari! Of course!

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:45 am

Maleme! I thought that was derived from the word Gold?

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”