Cost of heating oil

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
Voni

Cost of heating oil

Postby Voni » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:26 pm

Before I start ringing around, anyone tell me the cost of heating oil at the moment, I know it can vary ....

Many thanks.

Kilkis

Re: Cost of heating oil

Postby Kilkis » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:03 pm

Try this web site. At top left of the map is a yellow box labelled "επιλογή". Click on that and select the bottom option "πετρέλαιο θέρμανσης". Then gradually expand the map and move it around to home in on your area. At the moment most petrol stations around Chania are showing "?" so no information. The one I use is showing €0.820 so quite a bit less than last year. Not surprising considering the battering crude oil has taken during 2020. One of the very rare years where I filled up at the end of winter and it would have been better to wait until now. I think it has happened 2 or 3 times in 23 years.

Warwick

Voni

Postby Voni » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Many thanks Warwick, much appreciated.

john4d

Postby john4d » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:56 pm

Around our way it's €0.36 per litre, but of course I am currently in the UK. Just a comparison you understand. I don't buy it because I'm on mains gas, oh you haven't got that have you.
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:32 pm

That's why the UK government stopped paying us winter fuel allowance? We are a few degrees warmer than the south west of England in winter, which means we don't need quite as much energy to heat our houses BUT we typically pay double for that energy, which outweighs the energy saving. Is your gas bill alone £2,000 per year, John? That's about what it costs me for heating oil. Oh, I forgot, we pay the highest price for electricity in Europe too so I'm also screwed in summer when I need air conditioning to stay alive.

Warwick

john4d

Postby john4d » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi Warwick

Last year I paid about £950 for gas & electric, but now I've changed supplier and on last years consumption it will be £804.

Having paid energy bills in Crete for many years I do know its high cost, and the cost of motor insurance €2,200 pa for insuring my 2.8 litre camper van compared to £350 in the UK, and don't mention road tax.

Despite all of that I wish I was back in Crete, but my lack of mobility both inside and outside the home currently prevents that. I can buy an automatic car in Crete, but can I have it converted to hand controlls, and will I have to take a special driving test to get a licence? Does anyone know the answer to that?

Oh I forgot. The solar panels on my roof not only significantly reduce my electricity consumption but provide an annual income of about £570, plus the governments generous Winter Fuel Allowance of £200 so I'm approaching net zero for my energy expenditure.

John

BST

Postby BST » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:51 pm

john4d.......Money isn't everything nor are ugly solar panels on the roof.

john4d

Postby john4d » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:25 am

BST said
john4d.......Money isn't everything
. I agree, which is why I said in my post
Despite all of that I wish I was back in Crete, but my lack of mobility both inside and outside the home currently prevents that.

He also said
nor are ugly solar panels on the roof.
Not many people in Crete have EV panels on their roof, but an awful lot have Solar Water Heating, including tanks.

My solar panels are an environmental asset, because despite all my efforts they are providing wonderful nesting facilities for the pigeons.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:41 pm

Kilkis wrote:That's why the UK government stopped paying us winter fuel allowance? We are a few degrees warmer than the south west of England in winter, which means we don't need quite as much energy to heat our houses BUT we typically pay double for that energy, which outweighs the energy saving. Is your gas bill alone £2,000 per year, John? That's about what it costs me for heating oil. Oh, I forgot, we pay the highest price for electricity in Europe too so I'm also screwed in summer when I need air conditioning to stay alive.

Warwick

Don't forget telecommunications and internet costs in Greece are one of the highest in Europe and it goes off on a regular basis for a gust of wind, heavy shower or lightning strike 5 KM away, but I must say the water is cheap for now unless your on main drainage and they try to make it run uphill :lol:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:32 pm

I don't have a problem with Greek telecomms and internet but I am only about 300 m from the exchange. It does occasionally drop the internet connection but reconnects quite quickly. A bit annoying when you are watching something streaming but otherwise not really a problem.

Electricity power cuts are another matter. I now have 3 UPS, one on the modem, one on my computer setup and one on the TV system. They see me through short power cuts, e.g. seconds or minutes, with no interruption at all but not through the longer cuts. I think a couple of 150Ah deep discharge batteries are the next step. That should get me through even the longest cuts.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:45 am

I have 2 x 200AH, 6 volt, deep discharge batteries powering a 1500 Watt inverter* (actually, it's only good for about 500 Watts before it shuts down).
So that's my "UPS". Charged by two photovoltaic panels when the sun shines and a 14v 40A power supply when it doesn't.

* The latest inverter has been running for over two years since I last repaired it.
http://www.glodark.com/powerbright_inverter.htm

Martin

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”