IKTEO

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
Jeffstclair

IKTEO

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:30 am

Hello ..good to see the forum back up and running ....I need to get the KTEO done on me little fiat... I have tried to phone the place I take it to this morning and I get no answer, is this because of corvid or shall I just ring another ?

Kilkis

Re: IKTEO

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:16 pm

A friend of mine took his car to an IKTEO near Chania yesterday and got it tested so they are working. He hadn't made an appointment but he did make sure he got there just after 8am. He had tried in the middle of the previous day and there were huge queues. IF it is not a big distance you could try just turning up.

Warwick

trebor457

Postby trebor457 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:15 pm

The test center, at Mournes, rang me 4 days before my 1st test was due to remind me & ask me if I would like to book an appointment. I think they are only working to appointment. There were quite a few waiting when I went. Tel No - 28210 88900.
Bob

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:26 pm

Someone just told me the IKTEO are on strike today ...that might explain why they don't answer the phone ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:03 pm

I think that they are only supposed to work by appointment BUT I guess they are not going to turn business away if someone turns up. My friend went to the one at Vamvakopoulo without an appointment. Also a week or so ago another friend phoned the same on to make an appointment and they just told him to turn up.

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:55 am

I guess a lot of us are going to be late getting our IKTEO tests done this year, thanks to travel restrictions etc, quite apart from any strikes. Does anyone know if there is a penalty for failing to renew by the due date? It might be only about a week in my case, but I have not been late before, so if anyone has experience of a penalty/fine/slap on the wrist I'd be grateful to know.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:48 am

I think that there is normally a short grace period such as a week to ten days when no penalty applies. Because of the pandemic much longer delays were implemented, e.g. some months, but I am not sure exactly how they worked. For example the allowed delay might only apply while the IKTEOs were closed. If the penalty for going past the deadline is now in force I think you have to pay double the fee. Explain that you couldn't get back to get the test done on time because of COVID travel restrictions and the car has been off the road for all that period and you might get away with it.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:46 am

I got my little fiat KTEO'd yesterday in Sitia ....very good service , all done and dusted in about half an hour. Very good to have a new IKTEO nearer, it used to be an hour or more drive in the old days... thanks all ..

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:46 am

Thanks Warwick, good to know that. Jeff, where is the new IKTEO in Sitia? That's great news and will certainly avoid the long drive to Pacchia Ammos.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:03 am

Hi Mixos its up to the East of the airstrip ... I just rolled up no appointment ..two young guys doing the tests and a young woman with good English on the desk .. free coffee and a place to sit and watch ... :shock:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:53 am

I just checked with a friend who had his car tested recently. There is certainly a 7 day grace period. He thinks it is 7 calendar days not 7 working days. You definitely pay double if you are outside the grace period but he thinks there might be a fine on top, not sure how much. We cannot really find any information if there is any extended delay period due to COVID. Now that IKTEO is fully functioning we suspect not. The extended delay was when IKTEOs were closed.

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:57 pm

Thanks, both. Really helpful. I know the place you mean, Jeff. It's just a few km away and brilliant if you can turn up without an appointment.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:59 am

I was at the Mournies IKTEO today getting my car tested. There was a Norwegian couple there who were late getting the test done because they had only just got back to Chania. The penalty was €33 on top of the normal €50 fee. The IKTEO staff member said that if they could produce their air ticket proving when they had flown in then it was possible for her to scan the ticket and waive the penalty. I didn't ask for details but if anybody is late getting a test done because of a delayed return it would certainly be worth taking your ticket and boarding pass with you. I cannot guarantee that it will work but you have nothing to lose.

On a different issue that has cropped up before, I got a pass certificate but I was told that my tyres were too old and I should replace them. They were fitted in July 2013. I can't find the DOT code to see the month and year of manufacture. They still have plenty of tread and no sidewall cracks. The car spends most of its life parked under a tiled pergola so they are rarely exposed to direct sunlight. An expense I could have done without, given how little distance I travel now per year.

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:35 pm

Kilkis wrote:On a different issue that has cropped up before, I got a pass certificate but I was told that my tyres were too old and I should replace them.

On a trip in May to the Chania Suzuki dealership to get the car serviced, I asked the chap who books the cars in for servicing about time limits for tyres, and he looked up at me as if I were stupid and said "There is no such thing, this is Greece!"

After a recent puncture, we took the car to the local βουλκανιζατέρ, and he said "The tyres are too old and should be changed" - I didn't draw him on this - obviously he has a vested interest in this procedure... But I actually agreed with him - after 5 years of various on and off-road usage, they are looking worn and the tread is below 4mm.

The AA says "The minimum tread for regular tyres is 1.6mm but we'd still recommend 3mm for extra grip in winter." - which sounds about right to me.

Until someone gets fined for using tyres that are "too old", I guess we'll never know.
----
Phil
----

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:05 am

As with so many things in Greece, you will get a different version of the rules from the last person you spoke to, but I am pretty sure that there IS a maximum five-year rule on tyres. We had a dealership warning about it in the past and were told there was a code on the sidewall. I've not been able to find the code either, Warwick -- and what if you buy new tyres that have been sitting inside a store on a rack for a number of years? You might only get a couple of years' worth of use out of them before they are identified as being "too old." Mind you, at my most recent I.KTEO test, which I watched from the observation area, the guys didn't even look at the tyres and the whole thing was done and dusted inside 20 minutes!

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”