Air conditioning

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
johnincrete

Air conditioning

Postby johnincrete » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:49 am

Please help! I am confused! I am not coping with the current high temperatures so I am considering air conditioning.

The houses around me have air conditioning as witnessed by a big square box on the outside wall that has a big fan and some sort of pipe-work going inside.
In the shops, I have seen only the rectangular box that goes inside and is controlled by a remote, to blow hot or cold air and costs 250+Euros. This is what I had at my previous house with no outside box.

Are there two types?

The second question is: do I have to have a water supply for the aircon? I want aircon for my living room and there is a water supply with an external tap for the balcony. But I also want it in my bedroom and there is no nearby water supply and the only access to outside is the door to the small back balcony with no space for an external box. (the bedroom walls are shared with my neighbor)

Thirdly, I bought a dehumidifier that I use very successfully in the winter to take the chill out of the air. But it does nothing to lower the high temperatures we are getting now. Does aircon dehumidify as well a cool the air?

Lastly, does anyone know an English speaking person who could install aircon reliably?

Thanks in advance

John

tsambi

Re: Air conditioning

Postby tsambi » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:02 pm

There are 2 main types - inverter air conditioner & conventional. Both have the compressor outside (on nearby wall or on roof as you have seen) & neither needs a water supply as they are sealed units. Inverter ACs allow continuous regulation of temperature (the compressor motor speed is controlled) & are said to have a 30-50% better efficiency than conventional ACs.

We have both types - the conventional internal narrow box & a (more expensive) LG inverter one in the form of a large square picture that opens up when in use. Each installed by suppliers, each with roof compressors & brilliant for well over 10 years without any need for servicing, etc.

Yes, they do dehumidify the enclosed space you use them in - the condensation forms on a coil within the indoor unit as the AC system runs & then drips to a drainage pipe run to the outside. They can also be used to warm the air if needed.

As to who can supply/install, depends upon where you live. We know of excellent supplier, etc. in Rethimno, so let us know.

Hope this helps

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:57 pm

Thanks tsambi, very helpful.

I live in the Koubes area of Chania.

tsambi

Postby tsambi » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:17 am

Too far from Rethimno for the people we used, but there are many places in Xania that could help. Hope it goes well.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:25 am

I have no idea what you had before, John, but if it could both heat and cool then it was certainly an air conditioner and it would have had an outside unit somewhere even if you couldn't see it. They can be as cheap as €250, see for example this one. The adverts only show the inside unit but if you read the spec you will see that there is also an outside unit. Open the link in Chrome and it will translate to English.

Lavouta on Anagnosti Gogoni are reliable as are Kretatherm on the corner at the top of Tzanakaki Street. A friend had one installed by Clima Construction and was happy with their service. I don't have a name but 6974008189 do service and installation.

I would only consider an inverter type, not conventional, and I would get one a bit more powerful than you think you need. Most indoor units installed in houses are a rectangular box mounted high on a wall. There are some square ceiling mounted units but they tend to be higher power for bigger rooms. They look OK if installed in suspended ceilings but look awful just hanging from a concrete roof. Also at higher power there are some large floor standing cabinets. I know a couple of tavernas that use this sort.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:25 pm

Thanks Warwick

I am waiting to see my Greek landlord so he can come with me to select the right unit. (he-s busy doing his own renovations!)

John

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:57 pm

My bedrooms are 40 cum and I have 9,000 Btu simple units. They are sufficient to cool it for me but they aren't very efficient. My living room is around 70 cum and originally had a 12,000 Btu simple unit which was useless. I was recommended an 18,000 Btu inverter system, which would probably have been sufficient, but I opted for a 24,000 Btu inverter. It was only a bit more expensive and I wanted to make sure it would be enough. I use the living room one a lot in the summer and the bedroom ones very little. All doors and windows closed, air-con turned on, Gyro d'Italia/Tour de France/Vuelta Espana/Test Cricket on the TV and a bottled of chilled white wine. What could be better. You can nod off for a couple of hours and still not miss anything significant.

Be careful comparing efficiency figures. There are lots of different measures and some use mixed units so they are not directly comparable. Quite often the user manual for the unit will simply tell you how many kW of electricity you consume to provide a given number of kW of cooling.

Warwick

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”