Water

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
Daisy

Water

Postby Daisy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:24 am

Does anybody know of someone in the east of the island who knows about water?
After 8 years, I am tired of hand watering my garden every fortnight in the summer, but I have no idea how to install an irrigation system. The trouble is, that it is a very uppy-downy garden and I don't know how to regulate the flow so that all areas are watered properly. A drip system would be no good for me, because it is a closely planted garden with all areas needing a GENTLE flooding to cater for both, well established trees and shrubs, as well as delicate, newly emerging seedlings. How to achieve this on all the different levels is beyond me.
Can anyone help?
Thanks.
Daisy :)

Imagehttps:// [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/93752583@N02/

[url=https://flic.kr/p/jNxxkZ]Image
043 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Image115 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Image032 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Image022 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Image013 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

moggieman

Re: Water

Postby moggieman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:44 pm

-Hi Daisy
What a lovely garden
Would it be possible to install a tank at the top run pipes to where you want with taps so you can control the flow.
If a tap is put on the tank once the flows are set up all it would need is the turning of one tap.

Maud

Postby Maud » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:51 pm

Can't help with the watering problem Daisy, but I just had to complement you on an amazing garden. Such a lot of work but well worth it. I hope you get the watering resolved, as it will make things much easier for you!

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi Maud
Are you back on Crete

Moggieman.

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:30 am

Thank-you Maud and Moggieman. That is a good idea Moggieman. However, I can't see just a gravity feed doing the job properly. Some of the beds are 12' wide. I doubt that a gravity feed would have the oomph to reach throughout the beds. But then I don't really know. That is why I really need someone to at least come and look at the situation and tell me.
There is an electricity point by the pond, but that is on the lower level.
Daisy :D

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:53 am

It's hard to know how much oomph is needed with out seeing your garden ,but you can always raise the header tank to get more oomph and throttle it back with taps in areas when you need less pressure .I water my vegetable garden on gravity and it works OK cos I can't get mains water there ,the 'Agri Drip' system of pipes ,taps , bends , T pieces , is cheap and you can start with basic set up then expand it as you go...ps your garden looks wonderful....jeff

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:55 am

I have 2 water pipes coming off an outside tap through an automatic battery operated timer.
One runs to the vegetable patch, and the other forms a ring main around the property feeding off to all the plant pots and shrubs.
It consists of black 1/2" (or thereabouts) hose, with simple plastic tees feeding off to different areas.
In each feed I have installed an in-line plastic tap so that I can regulate the flow of that line, or even turn it off completely.
I then run small diameter `spaghetti' pipes, from the main 1/2" feed to each of the plant pots or areas that I want watered.
You can get a small hand held tool (€1.50 ish) that punches a hole in the pipe to take a small plastic nipple that the small pipe pushes onto.
All the pipes and fittings should be available at any decent garden centre, the 1/2 elbows / tees cost around 30 cents each (as I recall), and the in-line taps are around 50 cents.
The `spaghetti' pipe is around 10 cents a metre, don't know the price of the large pipe as I had loads of it unused, lying around the olive grove.
There are also various sprinkler fittings and smaller tees available at very low cost.
A lot of the fittings are colour coded (red and blue the most common) for different size piping.

Edit - there are also plastic push in bungs for the large pipe, if you want to take one of the small pipes out to reconfigure your arrangement

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:21 pm

Not quite sure what you mean by hand watering Daisy - might the answer be as simple as an exceptionally long hose, the trick being ( as in the case of the window cleaner who stepped back to admire his work ) not to fall over it on your way back around. An alternative may be to open your garden to the public - no entry charge but bring your own watering can ?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:00 pm

Beautiful garden, Daisy. You must have a local or favourite garden centre? They are the people who could advise and install a watering system.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:50 pm

A gravity-fed system is preferable because it will run without the need for electricity (as long as you run the timer and solenoid valves from a battery system). It's really no different from a pump-fed system. You have a specific starting pressure and you adjust the valves by hand*until every plant is getting what it needs.

*The higher the valve is, the more you'll need to open it. With this knowledge you can make rough adjustments to begin with.

Initially you could set it up without ANY electrical units. Just connect pipes and play with it till it's working. Then you could pay someone to fit the control system.

So a simple system would have a pipe running downhill from the tank.
Each level would have a horizontal take-off pipe controlled by a hand-operated valve.
If some plants need more water than others, then those requiring less water would need individual valves OR you could connect two take-off pipes to the main pipe for each level - one adjusted for high flow and one adjusted for low flow.

There's really nothing to it and, even if you don't get it right first time, all it's costing is your time and a few lengths of (re-usable) pipe.

:)

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:32 am

We're about to install a watering system so this thread has been informative and given us confidence in what we are planning. We are often asked in garden centres how many litres we give a oarticular plant or tree and as we currently use a hose, we cannot readily answer. Does anyone know of a guide which may be available, particularly for olive and citrus trees?
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:14 pm

I was told to give my citrus trees 750 litres per tree in a single soaking every two weeks, reducing to every ten days in really hot weather. I don't try to stick to it exactly.

I use a 32 mm pipe with two high speed, i.e. brown, flat fan sprays per tree about 1 m either side of each tree, e.g. a bit like these. For those round the edge they spray over 180° while those in the middle of the garden spray over 360°. That sprays the required amount in about two hours. I was told that the roots extend about as far as the branches and with this configuration I soak the ground out a little beyond the extent of the branches. I tend to do it after sunset to avoid too much being lost by evaporation, e.g. somewhere in the period 8 pm to midnight.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:00 am

Now this is real food for thought Warwick. We hadn't considered sprays in lieu of drip feeding. Shall look into whether our gravity feed will provide enough pressure. Maybe one day, μια μερα, our garden will look as beautiful as Daisy's :D .

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:14 am

I have a direct feed from an agricultural water supply. The pressure is so high that I put a pressure regulator on the outlet to stop it blowing joints apart. I'm not sure what it is set to but I will check when I next pass the Christmas tree. I am pretty sure it is over 1 bar and that would correspond to a 32' head of water. I think most people I know use jets for citrus trees and drip feeding for more general plant growing, e.g. vegetables or decorative plants.

Warwick

PS I have ten citrus trees so I put on about 7.5 cum each time I water. That's a pretty big tank?

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:33 am

Warwick, a question from Andrew - do the spray nozzles spray into the air or directly across the ground? (Either way, I realise that the water reaches the ground).

We have two 5000 litre tanks at the top of the land, i.e. 24' about the ground floor level of the house and the bottom of the land slopes down another 20' or so, so gravity shouldn't be a problem.

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”