New Broadband Service from Cosmote

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

New Broadband Service from Cosmote

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:36 pm

If you have a landline but it is too poor to support broadband internet, either because of the quality of the line or you are too far from the exchange, then Cosmote may have a solution that would work for you. They have a new hybrid broadband router that both connects with a landline using ADSL but also contains a 4G SIM. If the landline cannot provide a decent speed then it uses the 4G SIM to download the data. You sign up to one of the landline broadband packages, probably on a cheap introductory deal, and also pay €2 per month for the SIM access. Because the broadband deal is not capped the data downloaded through the SIM is also not capped. Scooby has just signed up to this deal. He is now getting around 60 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload with no cap. Pretty good considering he couldn't get internet at all on his landline before. Obviously you have to be able to receive a decent 4G signal so it won't work for everyone in a very remote area but worth looking into.

Apparently new hybrid routers come into the OTE shop in Chania at the start of the month and are snapped up immediately. You might need to sign up to the service and wait for the next delivery. Also I would recommend making sure for yourself that there is really no cap even if all the download is through the SIM. I can't find information on this anywhere on Cosmote's web site.

Warwick

PS Scooby asked me to post the information for him because he thought he might be regarded as a geek which would ruin his image.

paul g

Re: New Broadband Service from Cosmote

Postby paul g » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:46 am

This looks interesting, like you say it's a secret on their website, do you happen to know the manufacturer of the hybrid router?

paul g

Postby paul g » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:36 am

Just rang Cosmote and asked about the home speed booster......... 5.50€ a month sadly capped at 40GB

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:58 am

paul g wrote:Just rang Cosmote and asked about the home speed booster......... 5.50€ a month sadly capped at 40GB

Interesting. Scooby asked about this twice in the main Cosmote shop in Chania, once when he signed up to the service and once when he picked up the hybrid router since they didn't have one when he signed up, and was told that is was €2 per month and that there was no cap?

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:33 pm

paul g wrote:Just rang Cosmote and asked about the home speed booster......... 5.50€ a month sadly capped at 40GB
Maybe they were confused? I have just called Cosmote to confirm the deal I have which is unlimited. The 4G sim card in the router just boosts the signal and it is fast and wi-fi is good. I have to pay 2 Euro a month on a separate bill for the use of the sim. I would suggest anyone interested to go into the Cosmote store and speak to the guys in there and they will explain fully.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:47 am

I think, but don't know for sure, that the difference of opinion on the capped/uncapped status of this service might depend on the question asked. Cosmote regard this as a standard landline based broadband service with a SIM simply to boost speed when the landline service is slow. Since landline broadband is uncapped if you ask the question, "Is the service capped?" the answer will be, "No". If, however, you ask the question, "Is the amount of data downloaded through the SIM each month capped?" I think the answer will be, "Yes, at 40 GB." I understand that they take your mobile number and you get sent a text when you reach 80 % of the cap and then again when you reach 100 %. At that point you can choose to pay for more data or have the SIM service disabled until the next month.

As far as I am aware, there is no SIM contract of any kind, at any price, in Greece that is uncapped. I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Tue May 02, 2017 6:05 pm

Just spoken to Cosmote to clarify about the capped 40GB on the sim card, if I use all my usage I can ring up and have another 10GB for 5 EURO as many times as I like until I get my 40GB again at the start of my bill date, excellent for me, I don't use the sim a lot of the time and just use the connection through the phone line but it's great for watching English tv and football etc..

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue May 02, 2017 6:23 pm

So am I right in thinking that this system works on the landline and the mobile telephone system via a sim card like I have in my phone... I suppose it's more cost effective for Cosmote to up grade the mobile phone network rather than the landline network ..Sadly for me here the mobile network is very patchy ... you get a signal in the road outside come in the house and it's gone .. guess I'll stick with tooway ....jeff

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed May 03, 2017 9:29 am

Jeffstclair wrote:So am I right in thinking that this system works on the landline and the mobile telephone system via a sim card like I have in my phone... I suppose it's more cost effective for Cosmote to up grade the mobile phone network rather than the landline network ..Sadly for me here the mobile network is very patchy ... you get a signal in the road outside come in the house and it's gone .. guess I'll stick with tooway ....jeff
Yes Jeff, normal router through landline but if like me the connection is not good enough to watch live TV through an android/kodi etc I activate the sim card. Shame Cosmote is not strong where you are.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”