English TV channels

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Phild

Re: English TV channels

Postby Phild » Tue May 09, 2017 2:33 pm

der wrote:Unlocator didn't work for me today. I just signed up but today I keep getting an error message when I try to access iplayer or itv.

I have sent you a PM. Hope it helps.
----
Phil
----

Spondall

Postby Spondall » Tue May 09, 2017 2:40 pm

Unlocator had an issue this morning. I emailed support with my problem and they responded, got me to reset (turn off and on) and all is OKish.

I am using the trial at the moment, router DNS changed so all devices can use it.

Everything seems to be OK, except BBC Iplayer keeps buffering. This looks like a firestick issue as it is fine on my laptop.

There are other smartDNS offers around with free trials, a google search will give the details.

Steve

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu May 18, 2017 1:33 pm

As well as Kodi you can download and install this:
https://www.popcorn-time.to

I don't watch TV but I installed it as a test and it seems to work OK.

As for FilmOn, are you sure the price mentioned is correct? I thought it was £99 p.a. (£8.25 per month.)

Mac users can also install Get iPlayer Automator. (It is currently being debugged but the pre-release version seems OK.) It lets you download BBC and ITV Player programmes to watch later. This is handy if your Internet speed is too slow for streaming.
https://github.com/Ascoware/get-iplayer ... r/releases

(If already installed, drag your existing getiplayer.app out of the "Applications" folder onto your "desktop".)
Unzip the new file Get.iPlayer.Automator.app.zip
Drag the new Get iPlayer Automator.app into your "Applications" folder.

Now launch it and check the Preferences.
Make sure that the Download Path is still correct or set it to where you want the files to be.
Make sure that Proxy is set to None (If outside UK you will use your VPN instead).
Check "Add Completed Downloads to iTunes" or not (as you wish).

Note: there is no longer a Quick Caching option so it will be slow to find programmes.

Now click the [Download Formats] tab. This list should be the same as you left it or defaults if you haven't used GiA previously.
Now click the [New Programmes] tab. You can deselect any programme types you don't want. (This will speed up searches.)

Now you can close the Preferences window and check the PVR list. This should be unchanged from previously. search for any programmes that you want to download and add them to the list window.

By now it might have completed its caching and any PVR programmes will be listed ready for download.
Turn ON your VPN and click "Start".
Last edited by SatCure on Thu May 18, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu May 18, 2017 2:06 pm

If you are watching in Greece, after approximately 2 minutes it pops up a panel asking for €14.95 per month or €149 per year, i.e. approximately two months free. Since it is a world wide service I would guess that it charges different amounts in local currencies that can't be explained exactly by the exchange rate.

I don't really understand their marketing logic. Their web site still has a "Free" button under which you can select live TV but it only gives you a quick look before trying to charge. If I was a potential user that would definitely pee me off and I would be looking for an alternative provider. It would be more honest to put the charges up front and have a "quick preview" button so you can check quality before buying. I realise it amounts to the same thing but I hate snake oil sales techniques. They seem to be most prevalent in the US.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu May 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Kilkis wrote:Their web site still has a "Free" button under which you can select live TV but it only gives you a quick look before trying to charge.

I didn't use the web site - I tested with the FilmOn HDi player software.
Some programmes can still be watched without subscribing. They are labelled "FREE" in the list. "Motorz" for example. I can't check fully because my download speed is low and the programmes freeze frequently. But no notice pops up.

The pop-up does appear for the non-FREE programmes. Interestingly, the price is no longer shown and the link to "Terms & Conditions" goes to a fotv page with no sign of T&Cs!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu May 18, 2017 4:32 pm

I had another look at the web site version of Filmon. If you expand each category some of them do still have free channels so my criticism above isn't really fair. I couldn't see anything I would want to watch but free channels do still exist.

Warwick

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Sat May 20, 2017 7:43 am

Simply forget FilmOn from now on. Google UKTVNow (not available from PlayStore) and download the app, provides most UK Channels in good quality and free. If installing on an Android based device, in your security settings, check "allow other apps" or whatever your device might say in order to install. No VPN required by the way :D
Expat TV Services & Setup - PM for details

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”