iPlayer

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Clio

iPlayer

Postby Clio » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Anyone else having (new) problems getting access to the BBC iPlayer? The link I've always used is now throwing up an error message. I can reach it by going to the programme page of an archived show - say, Top of the Lake - which will give me the available episodes and also link me quite happily to the iPlayer, but that seems a bit round-the-houses. Anyone else got a direct working link?

Carolina
Site Admin

Re: iPlayer

Postby Carolina » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:51 am

Not sure what 'link you have always used'? This is the main link http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

I have had an 'error loading subtitles' for a few weeks now on BBCiplayer and it will not load any subtitles at all. Anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Carol's link worked for me as did subtitles. A couple of minor hiccups:

1 When I selected a programme to watch it asked me to sign in but didn't go to a sign in page. It went straight to the programme but didn't play anything.
    2 I selected a different channel and it then asked if I had a licence. I said that I did and it started playing.
    3 I then went back to the first programme and that now also played.
    4 When I turned on subtitles they didn't immediately appear despite the fact that there was dialogue. It then played the title sequence and after that the subtitles appeared immediately new dialogue started.

Warwick

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:17 pm

This is the main link http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

Now there's a thing. That's the link I've always used, the one that';s now started playing up. I read Carolina's reply earlier today when I was away from the house, using my tablet, and it worked fine. But now I'm home at the PC, and STILL getting the error message using that same link. How can it work one one bit of hardware and not the other?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Clio, try logging out of BBC iplayer on your pc and clearing your browser cache.

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:17 pm

Εγινε; Θα σου κεράσσω κοπελιά μου;

nuska

Postby nuska » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:25 am

I cannot use iplayer anymore despite having Hotspot shield Elite, it just shows 'only works in UK'. I've logged out and cleaned cookies - no luck.
Can anyone help please?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:20 am

One possibility is that the BBC have flagged up the IP address of the Hotspot Shield server as a VPN and won't route to it anymore. Normally when this happens companies like Hotspot change the address of the server in a constant game of cat and mouse. You could contact Hotspot and ask them if they are aware that there is a problem. Since it is a paid for service they should investigate.

Another issue might depend on what sort of device you are using? Mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets typically have GPS to provide location services and the iPlayer App may be accessing those to find out where you are. I have no problem using the iPlayer web site through Firefox on my PC, if I turn on my VPN, but if I turn on the same VPN on my tablet the iPlayer App does not work. I have tried turning off location services but it still doesn't work. I didn't investigate further because I have a paid for streaming service so I don't need to use iPlayer. If you are using the iPlayer App on a mobile device you could try the following, in the order stated, but I can't guarantee it will work:

1 Turn off your router so you are not connected to the Internet.
    2 Go into settings and turn off location services.
    3 Completely clear all cache and memory from the iPlayer App.
    4 Disable the iPlayer App.
    5 Turn on the router and wait for it to get an Internet connection.
    6 Turn on your VPN.
    7 Start the iPlayer App.

Good luck

Warwick

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:53 pm

I too have had this same problem with BBC iPlayer since Wednesday morning. I use a DNS service with Unotelly and when I reported my problem with accessing BBC iPlayer they responded by saying that they were aware of the problem and that their engineers were working on a fix. I pointed out to them that my neighbour who also uses Unotelly does not have the same problem...

I'll let you know if/when I am informed of the "fix".

Brian

nuska

Postby nuska » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:20 am

I have contacted Hotspot and am waiting for a reply. I use Firefox on a PC

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:17 pm

As Unotelly can not give me an ETA on fixing the problem I tried another DNS server company called Overplay and bingo...I can now access BBC iPlayer again. Easy to set up on a wide variety of devices, $4.95 a month.

Brian

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:22 pm

I had recurrent problems with the iPlayer but Express VPN sorted me out - a change of UK server means it's now working fine. But there is also a separate recent problem with Channel 4 catchup, which apparently is now tracing locations and telling us "the service isn't available in your area". Express say they don't offer access to C4 so can't help.

I'd be glad to hear if anyone is using a VPN which gives access to all C4 output. Or if there's a workable, idiot-proof way of masking location as a separate operation?

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi Clio

The VPN I use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/, and have used for years, is tested and working fine with both iPlayer and C4/All4 as of this afternoon. Current progs are playing without any problem.

It has multiple servers worldwide, including 2 in the UK (London & Southampton), so when the BBC is playing "whack a mole" and takes out one IP address, the second location offers an alternative without changing VPN provider. They are also pretty prompt at putting up clean IP addresses once a BBC ban takes place. (Existing London & Southampton IP addresses are currently both clean for BBC and C4).

I'm sufficiently happy with them that I now just sign up for a year and take the discount, but try them out over a month and see how you get on.

Paul

Clio

Postby Clio » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:38 pm

Thanks Paul. Really helpful, as always.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”