Internet Problems

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Clio

Internet Problems

Postby Clio » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:27 pm

I have been plagued by them for the last two days. The connection keeps cutting out, for a period of some hours, then is OK again. The message I get is "a network change was detected". I don't know if the problem is a general one to do with Cosmote locally, or if it's just me. So I phone the OTE helpline. The recorded message tells me that due to the volume of calls they can't take mine. I should use the internet instead, says the voice at the other end. But at the moment I can't use the internet which is why I'm trying to phone. There's a hole in my bucket....

Kilkis

Re: Internet Problems

Postby Kilkis » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:32 pm

I can't help with the Internet problem, Clio, but I was told of a situation today analogous to you being told to use the Internet to report that the Internet isn't working. A friend had a new handrail delivered for the stairs. He contacted the company to tell them that some of the fittings were missing. They asked him to photograph the missing parts so they could identify what to send.

Internet problems are common after heavy rain. OTE engineers do repairs inside IP rated junction boxes on their poles and then leave the doors open. Everything is fine until it rains when the junctions get wet causing noise on the line and hence the broadband to fail. It doesn't sound like this is the cause of your particular problem but I thought the information might be useful to others. If anybody experiences that type of problem it is worth trying to visually trace the cable back towards the exchange to see if any doors are open. It is virtually guaranteed that if you get an OTE engineer to come out they will diagnose the problem as being on your premises and so not their problem. Showing them where the problem really is might, I stress might, persuade them to fix it.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:25 pm

May be worth updating your router Clio? We had similar problems on/off for six months last year. OTE engineers came out & tested the line, said the problem was our indoor line (as Warwick mentions above). We had an electrician install a new line in the house. It worked well for a couple of weeks and then we had the same problem again. OTE then suggested we upgrade our router, and they sent a new one to our local Germanos shop for us to collect (free on exchanging with the old one). All has worked fine since then.

Try calling the (24hr?) help line after 9pm in the evening or before 8am in the morning.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:14 am

In a lot of areas OTE are changing to VOIP for the telephone service. I recently changed my contract and was issued with a new router, free of charge, and told that I had to use it. Up to now I have always used routers that I bought myself. The new one has the VOIP conversion built into the router. It means that if you lose power you also lose the telephone connection, even if you have a simple POTS phone, unless you have a UPS with sufficient battery storage to run the router through the cut.

Warwick

Roussa

Postby Roussa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:00 pm

I had the same problem for many weeks this year, the internet would go on and off. All lines were checked, the router reset...nothing helped.
And then suddenly all was back to normally working. So my guess is, that OTE was working on the lines somewhere and either there were too few lines left to handle all the internet traffic or the lines were just disconnected for some time.
I also noticed that the OTE DNS-server is sometimes down.

steven_0

Postby steven_0 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Does it happen on 1 device only or on all the devices ?

If its on all the devices then try this
During one of those outages, open a dos box and try to ping 8.8.8.8
windows key + r > in the box that pops up, type cmd and press enter
In the black box type ping 8.8.8.8 and press enter
If you get replies, then its a DNS server issue.
In that case i would suggest putting Google's dns servers into your computer (or better, in your router so all devices connected to it use google dns)
https://www.techworm.net/2016/08/change ... peeds.html

If its on 1 device only, check its cable to the modem or try to reset tcp/ip
https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Resetting_TCP/IP_to_Default

Also if its a issue between your device and the router, during the outage try to reach the modem
(It should be at http://192.168.1.1 sometimes at http://192.168.1.254 or http://192.168.0.1)
If you can not reach the modem during the outage, check its lights, restart it and try again.
If you still can not reach the modem, it would indicate a problem between the device and the modem.
(are you using a cable or wifi to connect to the modem? )

You could also enter the modem to see if there is anything in the log, but bit more complicated..
Normally your modem can be found at http://192.168.1.1 (the username and password are on the sticker on the modem)
Depending on the type of modem, you should get a menu.
In the new modems you can find it under "settings" (top right) and then on the left side in the menu bar
In the old modems its in "maintenance" if i remember right..
Sorry i do not have a modem handy to make some screenshots for you
Just search for "log" in the menu structure.
The log could tell you if and what happens during a outage

Greetings
Steven

Clio

Postby Clio » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks everybody for advice, all filed for future reference. But my techie friend has just visited and assures me that it's nothing to do with my PC - the problem is caused by OTE doing works in the area, and there's nothing for it but to hope they'll soon finish. At the moment the connection is fine, but the trouble seems to happen in the evening, so we'll see what happens tonight.....

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:03 am

my techie friend has just visited and assures me that it's nothing to do with my PC - the problem is caused by OTE doing works in the area, and there's nothing for it but to hope they'll soon finish.

I love my techie friend dearly but I think he should probably stick to sheep farming. After days of more hassle and trying everything I finally got through to the OTE helpine late at night (thanks Carolina) and after that it was all very easy - helpful operative arranged for an OTE technician to call on Friday (today).

I'd forgotten the OTE habit of starting work at crack of dawn, so - on the first day in months when I didn't have to be up betimes - I was fast asleep at 8am when the phone rang. "I am from OTE and I am downstairs..."

Well, it's probably not the first time that the lad has been met by an old lady in her πυτζάμα. And he was very efficient. There was no problem with the line, and no, OTE are not working in the area. And the problem is almost certainly with the router, which is pretty old, and he happens to have about his person a nice shiny new router which comes with the compliments of OTE and is installed in a few seconds.

(The old one must have been really old, because I seem to remember having to pay 50 euros for it, and then having to be talked through a lengthy installation process by an OTE bod on the phone).

New modem will offer give me faster speed, and seems to be working, so wish me luck....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Clio wrote:... and then having to be talked through a lengthy installation process by an OTE bod on the phone)...

The new routers seem to be preconfigured? As far as I can tell, and I could be very wrong here, I think they have an OTENET login name and password already set in the router. OTE then link that login name and password to your OTENET account. For example, in the past if your OTENET account was ClioLane@otenet.gr and your password was "password" you would have had to get into the router control panel and set these in the Internet connection settings. That was probably what you were talked through. Now the router is pre-set to connect to OTENET using, for example, Xy23AQmp17@otenet.gr with a password Zpq24FGcv19 but OTENET link that to ClioLane@otenet.gr. You simply plug it in and it works without changing any settings. You need to change the WiFi name and password on each device you want to connect to the router but that's it.

Have you got one of the versions that uses VOIP for the phone? If so you lose the landline connection if you switch the router off or during a power cut so it is possibly worth getting a dedicated UPS for the router. The router doesn't take much power so a <€100 UPS will keep it going for quite a long time if it is not powering anything else. You can tell if you are switched to VOIP if the Telephony light on the front of the router is illuminated. It can take up to 24 hours for it to switch from a normal PSTN connection to VOIP when you first connect the phone. The phone is still usable during this period.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:10 am

Kilkis wrote:The router doesn't take much power so a <€100 UPS will keep it going for quite a long time if it is not powering anything else.

A typical router takes about 1 Amp at 12 volts = 12 Watts.

You can run it from a 12 volt alarm battery or from a car battery, with a suitable extension cable and plug. I made one up for a friend and the battery was kept charged (in summer) by a small photovoltaic panel.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 am

Good solution, Martin. It also completely isolates the router from the mains, improving lightning protection. Obviously it is still vulnerable from the telephone line. I suspect the router actually draws less than 1 A when it is idling with no Internet traffic, which would be the typical condition during a power cut. The power supply is rated at 12 V, 1 A, which is its maximum output so that caters for peak demand when the router is streaming continuously at a high rate.

I tend to use a UPS to power the whole computer system including the router. If there is a power cut everything except the router and a couple of other very low powered items are powered down so the UPS keeps the router going for 4 to 5 hours, which covers most outages. For example this model for €56 has a 12 V 9 Ah battery so it should power the router alone for around 8 hours assuming 90 % efficiency and quite a bit longer if it is drawing lower power.

Warwick

steven_0

Postby steven_0 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:31 am

The new type routers do not come preconfigured per user.
The configuration is set to defaults of OTE like otenet@otenet.gr with pass otenet, the re-manage server, ssid, admin pass etc.
When you order a new router, OTE scans the barcodes on the box (that contains the d-sn,mac address, ssid, passwords) and link this with your user account details in their central server.

The routers ask a central server(ACS) for their configuration (this is called remote provisioning and OTE uses TR-069)
When the router is turned on, its provided a IP from a server. It then connects to http://remanage.otenet.gr
That server checks the D-sn (see sticker on the bottom of the router) and sends the configuration.
It checks for changes every 21600sec

This setup saves OTE a hell of a lot of service calls and now the service line is far better.

Greets
steven

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”