Netflix

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
howardscorton1

Netflix

Postby howardscorton1 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:10 am

Now that my landline and broadband are up and running can I get Netflix in Crete?

Kilkis

Re: Netflix

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:05 pm

I could be wrong but I don't think Netflix is directly available in Greece. You would need to sign up in the UK and also use a VPN so that Netflix thinks you are in the UK.

Warwick

Loretta9

Postby Loretta9 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:55 pm

I have just cancelled NOVA .. I play Film-on for free through my Google Chromebook and Chromecast. Outstanding.

howardscorton1

Postby howardscorton1 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks both. Loretta9, please tell me more about your set up. Is it only available on a Chromebook (I have a recent Macbook) and will the Chromecast
work on other computers? If so, what is it and how do I get one?

Loretta9

Postby Loretta9 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:16 pm

I don't know the mechanics/technicalities of the computer systems, but I do know that my Windows PC was slower using chrome cast. My Google Chromebook plays instantly without hitches. I get the outstandingly clear picture. It might be because google created the chrome cast that a google chrome works better or seems to work better.
I will never change back to Windows. Google Chromebook is excellent for my needs.
I got my Chrome Cast from Amazon - £30.
I can transfer everything from my PC to my TV - youtube - Film-on - etc. I am currently watching Ireland Argentina live via Film-on - fantastic picture.

Chrome Cast is a device you plug into your TV - no wires from your PC to the TV .... and once you set up the TV playing from your PC you can continue using your PC while the TV continues playing the programme/film/video you set up to watch.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:07 am

There are lots of ways you can get film-on but they do not all give the same quality. I used a small Linux based PC connected to the router with ethernet, so high speed, and to the TV with HDMI. I selected the film-on web site on Firefox browser and then selected full screen. That produced tearing especially on panning shots.

Friends who use the film-on app on an ipad and mirror that to the TV using WiFi get a much better picture despite having a much slower broadband connection. I have also tried the film-on app on an Android smart phone mirrored with WiFi to a smart TV and that also gave a good picture. It looks like the apps access a less compressed video stream than the web browser stream. You can also pay a fee and get a higher resolution stream but if you are prepared to pay a monthly fee I would also consider ex patvision.

Warwick

Brentyn

Postby Brentyn » Wed May 16, 2018 1:13 pm

On devices such as laptops or tablets it's also possible to use a Netflix VPN for this purpose. I think you would need a VPN enabled router to make it work on a Smart TV.

steven_0

Postby steven_0 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:16 am

Netflix is available in Greece however when i last checked the list of movies was far less then other countries.
(some sources said it was less then 35% of content compared to usa)
I would suggest to use the trail period to check if its still the same today.
https://www.netflix.com/gr/

Greets
Steve
http://www.athinorama.gr/digital/movies ... id=2519120
https://www.huffingtonpost.gr/2016/01/0 ... 28650.html

(funny enough, they still not arranged a proper setup for the domain netflix.gr)

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”