UK mobile providers

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Sinkingslowly

UK mobile providers

Postby Sinkingslowly » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:16 pm

Has anyone run foul of UK providers fair usage policy?
My current UK contract is with Three and apparently if you are out of the UK for more than 2 months in any 12 then they can disable roaming.

My contract is close to finishing and I'm wondering about getting a new UK contract (and phone :D ).

My roaming has not been switched off yet but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone and what advise might be out there.

Thanks

Kilkis

Re: UK mobile providers

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:36 pm

I am surprised that they would disable "roaming" BUT they are entitled to disable "free roaming", i.e. they can increase the charges for calls to/from outside the UK, even within the EU, under their fair use policy. All providers can do this, although the details of the policy may vary from provider to provider.

I guess it depends a bit on how much you use it. If your usage to/from the UK is high then they are likely to react. If it is very low then they probably won't. I've had a UK SIM for years but I hardly ever use it when I am in Greece. I receive the odd text, e.g. from a UK bank providing a use-once-code for a financial transaction, and the odd, very short phone call from my son to see if I am available to chat on Skype.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 am

You will, like everyone else also have a "cap" on your bill so they can suspend everything if you hit that.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

BST

Postby BST » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:21 pm

I've had a Virgin Sim since May. If I'm out of Crete for 2 months or more within 4 months then I should be hammered, however no probs. yet touch wood. I don't use the data allowance on it, just UK calls and texts. I never get near my monthly limit. I don't access my Virgin account on it either as you can only do this via Virgin mobile ( nothing else works) So I stay pretty undercover! :D

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:17 pm

I also have a PAYG Virgin SIM. I access my Virgin mobile account on my desktop PC, e.g. to top up credit, without any problem. See "Sign in" at top right of https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/?slide-id=1 . Make sure to sign in to "Mobile" not "Media".

Warwick

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:37 pm

Thanks everyone.
I don't expect to use the UK mobile very much but I do want to keep the number.
Hopefully they won't notice me although anything could happen after the dreaded Brexit.

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Sinkingslowly wrote:Thanks everyone.
I don't expect to use the UK mobile very much but I do want to keep the number.
Hopefully they won't notice me although anything could happen after the dreaded Brexit.
dont worry have lived here 12 years and not a bother.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

john4d

Postby john4d » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:11 pm

Yes I've had this with Three. I overcame it by getting another PAYG sim, putting some money on it and keeping it as a spare, though not in a phone otherwise it would register as being in Greece.Three assured me that even if they switched my 'roaming' off I could still receive calls from the UK, so any person or company in the UK could still contact me.
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:24 am

I have a dual sim phone with a Vodafone GR and a PAYG O2 sim.
I've had the O2 sim here for 9 years with no problem, I get the occasional call on it, which reduces my credit, but have never been threatened with disconnection.
I last bought a £10 top-up for it, back in Sept 2017.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:04 am

peebee wrote:... I get the occasional call on it, which reduces my credit,..

Which presumably means they have stopped free roaming, because you don't satisfy the conditions of being predominantly connected in the UK and have reintroduced the roaming charge that they are entitled to do. That is what I would expect to happen. Some companies will disconnect the SIM if calls are not made at all for more than some specified time. I think for O2 it used to be 1 year. Other companies allow the SIM to stay in use even if calls are not made for a long time. For example I have a Virgin SIM, which is now part of the EE network, and that does not disconnect the SIM nor wipe out credit even if the phone is not used at all for over a year. I do not think any company should actually disconnect the SIM simply because you don't satisfy their free roaming terms and conditions.

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:15 pm

Kilkis wrote: I think for O2 it used to be 1 year.

Around about 2011 (I think), it became 6 months, and then it became 3 months with little notice - hence I lost my number and about 20 quid.
----
Phil
----

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Phild wrote:...Around about 2011 (I think), it became 6 months, and then it became 3 months with little notice - hence I lost my number and about 20 quid.

It was certainly around that time. I had a Virgin SIM and my late wife had an O2 one. O2 was cheaper in the week and Virgin was cheaper at weekend. We only ever used them when we were in the UK, usually twice per year, and they were turned off the rest of the time. When my wife was ill we didn't go for over a year. The Virgin one kept the credit and the SIM active but the O2 one was completely dead. Strangely I think Tesco mobile also used to keep both the credit and the SIM going even though they piggy backed on the O2 network I'm not sure if they still do.

Warwick

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:12 pm

I have been here 3 years, not been back to UK in last 18 months and mostly make mobile calls or text within Greece on a giffgaff pay as you go registered in the UK on the O2 network. They seem to waive roaming restrictions and every few months I get a text message that says 'Welcome to Greece', which is nice.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Keltz wrote:...They seem to waive roaming restrictions...

I guess every company is the same. They write terms and conditions which allow them to do things but don't force them to do them. Whether they invoke the terms and conditions is up to them. They might decide it is more beneficial to ignore them, e.g it is not really costing them anything and they prefer to keep you as a customer, or they might decide it is more beneficial to enforce them, e.g. if they think you are abusing the terms and conditions and it is costing them a lot of money. If they don't enforce them you are quite happy. If they do enforce you haven't any come back other than ditch them as a supplier.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”