Satalite?

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
audacity

Satalite?

Postby audacity » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi guys!
My mum has moved here, she can’t survive without bbc1 :shock: is it worth her getting a satalite?
What does it cost, is it a one off cost? Or -?what are your educated thoughts?
Her names Penny!
Thanks guys!
She’s an artist and doesn’t know any English people here yet 8)

Kilkis

Re: Satalite?

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:07 pm

I don't think you will get BBC1 on a satellite here. I certainly never did. Most people use Internet streaming services of one sort or another.

Warwick

audacity

Postby audacity » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:59 am

Thanks Warwick!
I’m Audacity Blaze on Fb, feel free to friend me! You are a fountain of knowledge on here!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 am

Kilkis wrote:I don't think you will get BBC1 on a satellite here. I certainly never did. Most people use Internet streaming services of one sort or another.

Warwick

Until about 4 years or so ago we got BBC World News but not BBC1. I really don't know anything about the cost of providing satellite feeds to the ground, it seems to me the BBC got it wrong when they either changed transponder, satellite or just footprint size which deprived us and others in various European countries of the BBC view on world events. That role is now taken over by Sky International.

We do watch BBC channels occasionally, in real time, through our Kodi box and one or two apps on there (like Mobdro) although it can be a bit hit and miss - like most illegal transmissions!

BTW we have in the last few years holidayed in Lugano, Zurich, Geneva and Bologna. All of the hotels we stayed in still claim to be able to deliver BBC World News but there is in fact no coverage. The hotels seemed surprised when we told them it was no longer available. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:36 am

I use Film on dot com for TV (all UK channels) plus many more (worldwide). It used to be free but now costs around 15 euro a month (so about the same as the UK licence fee). (I Player won't work though). Your mother could also subscribe to a VPN service wherein your computer's IP address can show e.g. the UK (I Player would work then I think).

No knowing any Brits may be both a blessing and a curse :) (I managed to avoid them for the first 15 years of living here!). I am sure she will make friends, both local and other nationalities. Having good connections with Greek people is the very best way to learn the language and get to understand the culture. I've lived here for 25 years and have had some fantastic experiences with Greek people - weddings, baptisms and all sorts of other celebrations - I do love Cretan music though so that may be a prequisite for weddings :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=934Befj4aD8
They are not Cretan though).

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:26 am

A bit of explanation on Bob's and Tweet Tweet's posts about satellite beams and VPNs.

Broadcasters like the BBC, ITV etc transmit some content to which they own the copyright and some content that they don't. In the latter case they purchase the right to transmit that content but only in the UK. Other companies around the world may well have bought the right to transmit the same content in their own region. If UK companies simply transmitted the content everywhere the copyright owners would not be able to sell it to other broadcasters in other regions. Sky control this process by only transmitting to people who purchase viewing contracts and only selling such contracts to UK, or Irish, addresses. They also sell contracts in other parts of the world but have bought the right to transmit there. Since companies like the BBC and ITV transmit freely without any contract they are forced to control who they transmit to by technical means such as having a very narrow beam aimed at the UK for satellite transmissions and only streaming to IP addresses that are recognised as being in the UK. There are ways round all technological blocks.

In the case of satellite transmissions there is still a signal outside the narrow beam it is just very weak. Use a big enough satellite dish and you can receive even these weak signals. I knew of two properties on Crete, one a private residence and one a bar, where a 5 m diameter dish was used to receive all Sky channels including BBC, ITV etc. I think the beams may have been narrowed since I knew of these so it is possible that an even bigger dish would be needed now. I think you can still pick up about half the channels broadcast on Sky with a 1.2 m diameter dish providing you take out a Sky contract registered to a UK address. I've got a 1.8 m MABO dish complete with floor mount and LNB going spare if anyone wants to make me an offer.

In the case of streaming TV over the Internet there are three main solutions. You can buy a TV streaming device, e.g. like Amazon Firestick, install a video streaming application on it, like Kodi, which is completely legal, and then install a TV streaming add-on to Kodi, which isn't strictly legal but nobody is likely to come looking for you. I haven't done this but I think it is completely free. Alternatively you can subscribe to a VPN service at pretty low cost, e.g. €3 to €7 per month. There are free ones but they are plagued with pop-up adverts and may not be very secure. That is effectively a server in the UK with a UK IP address and your router connects to services in the UK, like BBC and ITV, through that server. The services see the UK address rather than your Greek IP address so they allow the signal to be transmitted. This is quite a cheap solution but there is a downside. The broadcasters are constantly looking for UK IP addresses that they believe are acting as a VPN and blocking them. Some VPN providers are quite good at quickly setting up new addresses and some aren't. It's a game of "Whack a Mole". Finally there are a number of companies who will transmit a comprehensive package of TV channels for around €15 to €33 per month. All of these solutions depend on having a decent broadband internet connection of around 3 Mbps or preferably higher that is uncapped, since you download a lot of data.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:31 am

Pm sent

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:09 am

Unfortunately the BBC iPlayer/VPN system is constantly under attack by the BBC as they block VPNs.

We use FilmOn which is pretty good. It also has a recording facility so you can view your progs later. The capacity for recording is not endless, but it does us for HIGNFY, Uni Challenge and the like.

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:06 pm

Someone recommended Mucho TV on here I tend to use that daily and costs less than 1 euro a week for a selection of the usual UK channels including BBC 1 . All legal and you can catch up with 7 days as well . Also have a VPN I use on occasion for other stuff but Mucho TV works great with the laptop and use HDMI onto TV , no satellite required .

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 04, 2019 10:23 am

Some review information on subscription based VPN services here and here. Some duplication of information.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”