OTE Landline contracts

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
filippos

OTE Landline contracts

Postby filippos » Mon May 27, 2019 5:10 pm

Last Friday, in the course of five hours, I received three phone calls from OTE, each from individuals with less English than I have Greek. (I can get by in shops and basic conversation but don't have much vocabulary for things outside my experience or that only arise every now and again). During call 3 I eventually understood that our landline contract was due for renewal no later than 27May (today). "What contract renewal? We have had the same number for 17 years and have never been asked to renew our landline contract."

"This is done every two years. You must go to an OTE shop or Germanos shop by Monday to sign a new contract or your phone will be stopped."
Had planned a trip to Xania today anyway, so went to OTE on Tzanakaki St where a very helpful young lady confirmed the above, tapped away at her computer terminal for 2-3 minutes and had me sign on a digital pad like those used now in many banks. "Please wait for the papers." I ended up with eight A4 printed pages which doesn't do much to help preserve the earth's resources. OTE had my electronic signature and could have e-mailed this stuff to me.

While waiting I was offered a variety of upgraded contracts that would give me xxx minutes of free calls, for landline of mobile within Greece + yyy mins worldwide .......... for only 30% more than our current landline/Internet service. It would take us 10 years to use up the amounts offered for a single year.

The only OTE papers I've ever signed are a request to transfer the number when we moved 11 years ago and receipts for new or replacement routers. The original installation was arranged by our lawyer early in 2002. Has anyone else been asked to renew their landline contract?

louisejersey

Re: OTE Landline contracts

Postby louisejersey » Mon May 27, 2019 7:45 pm

I have just renewed mine, but it includes the Broadband. I'm presuming yours doesn't? I had a phone call as well, but was told I didn't have to go in and sign anything. Mine has increased in price from 27 to 31 euros. When I signed up 4 years ago, it was just for a 2 year contract which was renewed 2 years ago, and then now.

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon May 27, 2019 9:47 pm

louisejersey wrote:I have just renewed mine, but it includes the Broadband. I'm presuming yours doesn't?............
Mine does includes broadband (VDSL50) and basic phone service without any of the packages of free minutes on offer. We probably use the house phone to make as many as, ooohhhh, 8 to 10 calls within Greece annually. My mobile, SIM only flip-phone, is expensive for the amount it's used as I actually use about ¼ of the minimum credit in each credit period and forfeit any unused credit. Its main use is for incoming calls from couriers and potential emergency use. Everything else is done with Skype, e-mail and maybe 1 SMS per month.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 27, 2019 11:19 pm

Periodically I've been contacted by OTE about my contract but not on a regular 2 year cycle. In every case the person spoke excellent English.

When contacted by anyone speaking Greek I usually explain, in Greek, that I am English and ask if they speak English. Sometimes they switch immediately to English and sometimes they hang up.

All my contacts from OTE have been to offer me a better deal, e.g. faster speed, fibre optic etc at little or no extra cost and I have usually signed up to the new deal. Mostly I have not had to go into the OTE office to sign anything. I say yes on the phone and everything happens. Recently they said I had to upgrade to a new modem which meant that the speech phone calls were sent using VOIP. That time I had to go into the office, sign some papers and collect the new modem, which I installed myself. That also came with an upgrade to fibre optic. I was sceptical that it would increase my speed, since it is not fibre to the home and there is no box between me and the exchange, but in fact it did. I also went into OTE once of my own volition to reduce the free minutes on my contract.

Typically when you sign up to a new contract it is for two years so that might be where the "it must be done every two years" comes from but my experience is that usually it just continues if you do nothing.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue May 28, 2019 7:37 am

Kilkis wrote:When contacted by anyone speaking Greek I usually explain, in Greek, that I am English and ask if they speak English. Sometimes they switch immediately to English and sometimes they hang up.
Exactly what I do and usually the response to "Μιλάτε Αγγλικά;" is, "Of course." This time the first two callers hung up. The third was strange. His response to the language question was, "Yes, some", to which I replied, "Θα είναι πιο εύκολο για μένα αν μπορούμε να μιλάσαμε στα αγγλικά." He then said, "OK" and continued in high speed Greek. When I interrupted to say if he spoke more slowly I might be able to understand he said, in English, that I must go to an OTE shop or Germanos and hung up.
Kilkis wrote:All my contacts from OTE have been to offer me a better deal, ... and I have usually signed up to the new deal. Mostly I have not had to go into the OTE office to sign anything. I say yes on the phone and everything happens.
Likewise. The only times I've been to an OTE office was to transfer the number from one location to another when we moved 11 years ago and a couple of occasions when seeking information. I signed for receipt of a new modem when switching from ADSL to VDSL but can't remember if that was the engineer or a courier who brought it.
Kilkis wrote:Typically when you sign up to a new contract it is for two years so that might be where the "it must be done every two years" comes from but my experience is that usually it just continues if you do nothing.
Until last Friday I was unaware that the landline contract ever needed renewal. OTE has never contacted me on the subject in the 17 years we've had the phone line.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue May 28, 2019 8:59 am

Not heard a squeak about renewing contract - but forewarned is forearmed as they say. Thanks. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue May 28, 2019 10:19 am

I'm not really suggesting that it does always need renewing. The contract is usually for 2 years, sometimes less, which means you can't simply cancel it and switch to another supplier during that period. As far as I am aware it normally just continues when the contract expires. It may be that, in some cases, the contract was at a discount rate and they are not prepared to continue at that rate when it expires. I suppose in that case it might be necessary for them to get you to agree to a new contract at the increased rate, i.e. they can't just increase it without your agreement but they don't want to continue it at the old rate. Pure guesses on my part.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue May 28, 2019 1:50 pm

Good point Warwick. Will just sit tight and see what (if anything) happens! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Bagshot

Postby Bagshot » Tue May 28, 2019 2:06 pm

I had a telephone call after 2 years of the contract. I was offered a renewal at slightly less than I had been paying. I accepted the offer there and then. That was it, the contract was renewed without further ado. No forms, just a verbal acceptance during the same call. Suits me!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue May 28, 2019 2:17 pm

filippos wrote:
louisejersey wrote:I have just renewed mine, but it includes the Broadband. I'm presuming yours doesn't?............
Mine does includes broadband (VDSL50) and basic phone service without any of the packages of free minutes on offer..

Your OTE contract must have been renewed more recently than 17 years ago if you have VDSL50! It didn't exist back then?

OTE contracts & bundles (phone & internet) run for 2 years, after 2 years it goes on a month by month basis and they can charge you more, often without you realising. Best to then renew.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue May 28, 2019 11:43 pm

Carolina wrote:Your OTE contract must have been renewed more recently than 17 years ago if you have VDSL50! It didn't exist back then?
Quite right Carol. I originally had 56K dial up which was upgraded to ADSL as soon as it became available. Then, a few years ago (don't remember exactly when) OTE phoned, singing the praises of VDSL30 and persuaded me (easily) to accept the offer, just phone and unlimited internet as before. About 2½ years ago another sales department call was received offering a free upgrade to VDSL50. Free; why would I refuse. The only things I've signed for are transfer of number from house A to house B eleven years ago and receipt of routers. Last Friday was the first time I'd heard that phone contracts need to be renewed. I've made a diary note for two years ahead to see what happens then.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”