Firefox - Google Earth Interaction.

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Firefox - Google Earth Interaction.

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Has anybody experienced strange interactions between Firefox and Google Earth?

I usually have Firefox, currently Version 68.0,64 bit, open all the time with at least 4 tabs open, sometimes several more. If I then open Google Earth, as a separate App not in Firefox, it often crashes. Sometimes it will crash fairly quickly, e.g. going to a particular location or changing location. At other times it is fine unless I go into street view. It might crash as soon as I go to street view or it might be OK for a short time and then crash when I rotate the view or move forward. If I open Google Earth alone without Firefox open it mostly behaves OK.

After experiencing such a crash and having given up on Google Earth I sometimes find that Firefox now behaves strangely. For example if I try to open a new tab I might get a "Gah! Your tab just crashed" message. I also noticed yesterday that Rapport is running on any tabs I had opened before the Google Earth crash but it is not running on any tabs I open after the Google Earth crash. I found that by accident because I happened to go to the Santander log on page on one of the newly opened tabs and Santander asked me to download Rapport. Finally, when you switch between tabs the tab usually opens instantly with the content loaded. After a Google Earth crash I find that when you switch tabs the tab opens blank and then reloads the previous content.

I know there has been some argument between Firefox and Google, because Google obviously wants to promote Chrome, but I can't seem to find any reference anywhere to this contention issue. Anybody got any bright ideas?

Warwick

PS Anybody know which version of Google Earth is least resource hungry, especially regarding graphics. When you launch the repair tool one of the options is to change the version but I am not sure which is best to use if you don't have a particularly powerful graphics card.

Keltz

Re: Firefox - Google Earth Interaction.

Postby Keltz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

paul g

Postby paul g » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:39 pm

Yeah, what did they do to google earth, I used to use it a lot, but now it seems you need different browsers for various websites.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:44 am

Strange. I have the latest version of Firefox, 68.0, and use Earth Pro, 7.3.2.5776. Build was in March this year so probably not the latest. No problems at all. Don't have Rapport.

Don't suppose this helps you much, Warwick, but can't offer anything else. I think my graphics card has 4Gb of memory. It's nothing fancy.

Andrew

paul g

Postby paul g » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:35 am

Thanks for mentioning pro, downloaded that and it's all come back to life, marvelous.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 am

Mine is the same build of Google Earth Pro, Andrew, so it may well be the latest build. 7.3 is certainly the latest version. My video memory is reported as 4,850 MB.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”