Recycling smartphones

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
hairybloke
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:31 pm

Recycling smartphones

Postby hairybloke » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:47 pm

Does anyone know if there's anywhere that recycles old iphones? Or should they just go in the regular electrical recycling? Thanks.

Kilkis
Posts: 11022
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Recycling smartphones

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:00 pm

With great hesitation, not wishing to upset Brexiteers who are suffering a delay hangover, there is an EU Directive, The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE Directive), Directive 2012/19/EU, which mandates that there must be recycling capability for all electrical and electronic equipment. It came into force in 2003 although it has been amended since. Therefore there ought to be a facility somewhere. You can get the text of it here. I would try asking in a mobile phone shop if they take them back for recycling? As I recall manufacturers do carry some responsibility which they usually exercise through their retail outlets.

Warwick

scooby

Re: Recycling smartphones

Postby scooby » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Kilkis wrote:With great hesitation, not wishing to upset Brexiteers who are suffering a delay hangover, there is an EU Directive, The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE Directive), Directive 2012/19/EU, which mandates that there must be recycling capability for all electrical and electronic equipment. It came into force in 2003 although it has been amended since. Therefore there ought to be a facility somewhere. You can get the text of it here. I would try asking in a mobile phone shop if they take them back for recycling? As I recall manufacturers do carry some responsibility which they usually exercise through their retail outlets.

Warwick

Why the subtle dig at brexiteers all the time. There may have been a directive 16 years ago but the fact that very few people know where to dispose of mobile phones in this day and age is terrible. Before you say it’s the fault of individual countries because they are “sovereign “ which is a point, but the EU can produce as many directives as they can but if no one takes it seriously what’s the point.

peebee
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:07 am
Location: Kalyves

Re: Recycling smartphones

Postby peebee » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:44 pm

hairybloke wrote:Does anyone know if there's anywhere that recycles old iphones? Or should they just go in the regular electrical recycling? Thanks.

I don't know where you are, but Theo at X-Files in Kalyves has a recycle container for electronics.

Kilkis
Posts: 11022
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Recycling smartphones

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:17 pm

scooby wrote:Why the subtle dig at brexiteers all the time...


I wrote "With great hesitation" because I expected to get an angry response. I can't imagine why I thought that?

scooby wrote:...There may have been a directive 16 years ago but the fact that very few people know where to dispose of mobile phones in this day and age is terrible...


From what I can deduce from the Brexit debate the vast majority of Brexiteers know absolutely nothing about EU derived law only that they don't like it? I don't see why the WEEE Directive would be any different? I would expect an expert in mobile phones to know and be able to provide a much more detailed reply than I could do. If only such a forum member existed?

Warwick

scooby

Re: Recycling smartphones

Postby scooby » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:42 pm

There was no excuse for bringing Brexit into it at all. The reason why you did is for other people to judge.

Kilkis
Posts: 11022
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Recycling smartphones

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:16 pm

As an afterthought, Hairybloke, when you said "recycle" did you mean passing it on to someone who could make use of it, perhaps in a third world country, or did you mean breaking it down and making as much use as possible of the components and materials? If the latter then it would be treated like any other item under the WEEE Directive. If the former then there is probably a problem. Apple vigorously employ planned obsolescence. You have to update to the latest version of the software but older versions of their products are normally not capable of updating past a certain point. This renders them useless as a viable device.

You could try contacting info@eoan.gr for information on how to dispose of an iPhone.

Warwick

Kilkis
Posts: 11022
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Recycling smartphones

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:25 pm

scooby wrote:There was no excuse for bringing Brexit into it at all. The reason why you did is for other people to judge.


Could you advise me when the trial will be, what the charge will be and who will sit in judgement?

Warwick

Philb
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Kalamitsi Alexandrou

Re: Recycling smartphones

Postby Philb » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:20 pm

Kilkis wrote:
scooby wrote:There was no excuse for bringing Brexit into it at all. The reason why you did is for other people to judge.


Could you advise me when the trial will be, what the charge will be and who will sit in judgement?

Warwick


:D :D :D :D :D

scooby

Re: Recycling smartphones

Postby scooby » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:16 am

Your better than that Warwick.

Kamisiana
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Re: Recycling smartphones

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:26 am

Philb wrote:
Kilkis wrote:
scooby wrote:There was no excuse for bringing Brexit into it at all. The reason why you did is for other people to judge.


Could you advise me when the trial will be, what the charge will be and who will sit in judgement?

Warwick


:D :D :D :D :D

Welcome back the ex-pert or (DUP)
:wink: :roll: :lol:

hairybloke
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:31 pm

Re: Recycling smartphones

Postby hairybloke » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:19 am

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. The latter, Warwick, breaking it down and making as much use of all the bits as possible. I've never seen a phone in electronic recycling bins, so wondered if they should go somewhere else.

YoMo2
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Recycling smartphones

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:47 pm

If you Google "smartphone recycling websites", you will find various sites that will pay you for an old phone. They tend to major on the popular brands, but if your phone is listed, you could get paid for it. Worth a try?

Andrew


Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests