UK Catch-up TV

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
johnincrete

UK Catch-up TV

Postby johnincrete » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:42 am

I watch some UK TV programmes using Britishtv.club and I am seeing adverts to stream past episodes or box-sets and then the name of the streaming service.

I don't know what "streaming" means but is it possible to do it from here?

Keltz

Re: UK Catch-up TV

Postby Keltz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:38 am

If you have a smart phone, smart tv, tablet or computer you can run apps that allows you to watch live TV or films or box sets without having to download them before you watch. They are 'streamed' to your device while you watch it.

The best known free live TV streaming app is Modbro although there are other better free ones. Netflix app streams lots of films and box sets for a small monthly fee.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:00 am

Britishtv.club, which you are already using, is one example of a streaming service. I think it only streams live programmes but I don't know for sure. BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 etc are also streaming services but are restricted to UK viewers. They have both live broadcast and some catch-up. You can get round the restriction by using a Virtual Private Network, VPN, that makes your device look as though it is in the UK.

Streaming simply means sending a digital version of the programme to your device over the Internet in real time. Streaming of catch-up programmes simply means that somebody has stored a digital version of a programme that was previously broadcast on a server somewhere. You connect to their server and stream that programme to your TV in the same way that you use Britishtv.club. Catch-up usually only goes back a short time. I use two paid for streaming services, ExpatVision and SavvyTV. The former goes back one week while the latter goes back four weeks but doesn't have catch-up on as many channels as the former. Both services also have box sets of TV series and films on their servers and you can view them in the same way.

The exact way that you access the streaming service varies between suppliers. As far as I can see Britishtv.club works on virtually any device. The two I use only work on a MAG streaming box which costs between £50 and £100 depending on the exact model.

Warwick

PS SavvyTV is quite unreliable in the evenings at the moment. It looks like it is a bandwidth problem at their servers. I think the company is based in Spain although I don't know if their servers are there. If they are it may be that their bandwidth is being throttled because of high demand.

mythos master

Postby mythos master » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:56 am

Switched to watchbest iptv some time ago,excellent service and good choice of packages,what we like best of all apart from catch up and box sets is facility to download progs to usb stick.
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”