Temporary WiFi link

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Guy M

Temporary WiFi link

Postby Guy M » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:43 pm

In the wildly optimistic hope that we will be able to come to Crete this summer, we are looking at getting a temporary WiFi set up in our house.

My wife is a yoga teacher in the U.K. and during the pandemic she has run courses online. She wants to carry this on when (if) we are in Crete, hence the need for WiFi - we’ve used hotspots on phones for basic tasks like emails p, internet browsing and podcast downloads but not for anything like this before. We also used a Cosmote dongle the year we were in Crete full time but the thought of going into a Cosmote shop fills me with horror - life is too short for that.

The solution suggested to us was this D-link router https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DWR-953 ... op?ie=UTF8

We could then get a one off bundle on a U.K. SIM (at least while roaming at no extra cost still works in the EU).

Any views on this or alternatives that don’t requires hours in Cosmote?

Thanks

Guy M

Re: Temporary WiFi link

Postby Guy M » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:47 pm

I should say, this is the WIND alternative.

https://www.wind.gr/en/for-individual/f ... /?accept=1

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:24 pm

Guy M wrote:...We could then get a one off bundle on a U.K. SIM (at least while roaming at no extra cost still works in the EU)...

I've no experience of doing this but check up on the fair usage policy of whichever company you get the SIM from, taking into account how long you intend to be in Greece. EU Roaming is not unlimited. It is intended for people who mainly use it in the UK and use it for a relatively short time abroad. If you don't use it at all in the UK and then start heavy usage in Greece you might find that higher charges kick in quite quickly.

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:22 pm

Thanks.

We were thinking of using one of these one off bundles for the 5 weeks we plan to be in Crete.

https://www.cable.co.uk/mobiles/unlimit ... nly-deals/

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:55 pm

Before you pick one check the details of the deal. Some that are sold as "unlimited data" reduce the data speed once you go over a set limit. They are not actually lying but there again they are not being completely honest unless you delve into the reams of small print. If you are using it to stream classes that could be a bit awkward?

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”