Translation Trick with Chrome

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Translation Trick with Chrome

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:33 pm

On another thread relating to KEP I posted the following:

Kilkis wrote:It is arguably better to use the Greek version in Google Chrome with "automatic translate to English" selected. That works for a lot of pages, although I can't guarantee it will work for everything. I have noticed that some Greek web pages that are obviously in Greek don't get recognised as Greek and so don't get translated. For example e-shop translates but Kafkas doesn't.

I have just learnt a new trick with the Chrome Browser that I wasn't aware of when I made that post. I thought I would put it in a new post in this section of the forum as it is more relevant here and it might be useful to people who struggle with Greek as much as I do.

If you open the above link to Kafkas in Chrome, as reported it does not automatically translate to English. If you find somewhere on the page that is simply Greek text, i.e. not a link, and right click on it you get a drop down menu. One of the options is "Translate into English". If you left click on that it will translate virtually the whole page into English. Some things that appear to be text are really images so it won't translate them but you should get most things. Sometimes when you click on a link to go to a new page on the same web site the new page will also open in English but sometimes it stays in Greek. If it does stay in Greek simply repeat the process of right clicking on some Greek text on the new page. Sometimes when you right click on something the "Translate into English" option does no appear. If that happens try right clicking on a different piece of text.

Apologies to regular users of Chrome who probably knew all this already. I'm not trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs. I prefer FIrefox and only use Chrome if I need the translation option so I wasn't aware of this trick. I've just used it to navigate around the TaxisNET site, find my ENFIA statement and download it so it is quite useful.

Warwick

johnincrete

Re: Translation Trick with Chrome

Postby johnincrete » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:57 am

Thanks Warwick. I too prefer Firefox but have to resort to asking Greek friends to help, particularly when I want to buy something online.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:17 am

It should work for online order forms, John. I can't guarantee it will work for every single one but certainly most. e-shop is quite good because, although the product pages are mostly in Greek, if you know what you want once you have put it in the basket, which is pretty obvious, the order page can be selected to be in English. Also in Chrome e-shop translates automatically.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:20 pm

Usually works fine on Android phone and MacBook . Couldn't cope without it!

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”